SLU Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronin8

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know why St. Louis U had 5 open spots this year (I know Kentucky had a mix up that messed up their match)?

Also, is there any place to find statistics on how many applicants matched who applied to Anesthesiology? Just curious!

Members don't see this ad.

I know they took a few outside the match, so those werent really open spots.

Induc(junc)tion said:
I know they took a few outside the match, so those werent really open spots.

Slots listed with NRMP that didnt fill were not given outside the match (against the rules to list those with NRMP and then give them away). I heard that they matched 5/10 and didnt match 5 spots. Whether they gave any spots away or not is irrelevant to this discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
The faculty claim they listed over 40 students, but not as many as previous years. They've not had a problem filling previously. Scramble sure looked hectic there!

Ventil8 said:
The faculty claim they listed over 40 students, but not as many as previous years. They've not had a problem filling previously. Scramble sure looked hectic there!
They had open spots last year - at my interview THEY mentioned it so I am pretty sure it is true.

Ventil8 said:

Before Scutwork removed the NRMP data for the past few years, it listed that SLU anesthesia has not filled in the past 3 years.

DrRobert said:
Before Scutwork removed the NRMP data for the past few years, it listed that SLU anesthesia has not filled in the past 3 years.

This is true. And the vast majority of current residents at SLU are IMG or DO (Not saying anything bad about either, but its a fact). But the attendings still have it in their mind that anesthesia is "insanely competitive."

Ventil8 said:
The faculty claim they listed over 40 students, but not as many as previous years. Scramble sure looked hectic there!

If this is true, then apparently SLU is not learning the lesson. CWRU, a very strong program, made this mistake last year and had several unfilled spots. SLU needs to learn that even big names like UPenn rank at least 100 applicants to fill their spots. The PD at Case mentioned a 10:1 rule. Each program should rank 10 times as many applicants as they have spots to guarantee a fill.

DrRobert said:
If this is true, then apparently SLU is not learning the lesson. CWRU, a very strong program, made this mistake last year and had several unfilled spots. SLU needs to learn that even big names like UPenn rank at least 100 applicants to fill their spots. The PD at Case mentioned a 10:1 rule. Each program should rank 10 times as many applicants as they have spots to guarantee a fill.

With roughly a quarter of SLU anesthesia residents being carribean grads, it seems they are ranking everyone, or most everyone. I'm guessing that all the American grads were probably ranked higher.

anyone from SLU at all?

my impression of the school was great. program director was super cool. it seems every one at my interview thought the same way about the place and the ppl there.

relallllllllllllllllllllllly odd. seriously, very very odd.