This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drewfuss

Reaction score
Hey yall, I am a California Resident trying to decide between these 3 schools. As I understand it, all 3 schools have similar rankings so I am not sure if that will play much into it. I am looking to do EM or maybe a more competitive surgical subspecialty. Not totally sure yet. I am not really interested in research but will probably have to whip up some publications because of the new STEP 1 change. My family is in Southern California, but I am cool with moving far. I also have no significant other to consider. I am a lone ranger lol. I will incorporate raw tuition which does not include estimated cost of living or total cost of attendance. Thank you guys in advance! I would love to hear your guys opinion

SLU (Tuition is 58K)

Pros:
+Built a brand new university hospital to rotate through
+School and hospital are all very close (walking distance)
+Really liked the vibes I got when I lodged with an MS1
+A lot of free things to do
+Cheap cost of living
+I feel like being in St. Louis would give great experience to handling traumas
+Probably my cheapest overall option
+Really like the historic architect of St. Louis

Cons:
-Super high murder rate in St. Louis in general (Although around the school feels safe)
-Received subpar service from the White Castle I went to

MSU (OOS Tuition 58K for years 1&4, 87K for years 2&3)

Pros:
+I really like the new curriculum changes (focus to chief complaints seems really interesting)
+Staff was soo nice and welcoming. I can only assume they will be a stellar support system
+Really like the idea of being a part of a big 10 university
+Cheap cost of living at East Lansing and Sorta at Grand Rapids (compared to Southern California)
+Have a certification program "Leaders of underserved communities" where I would have the opportunity to do rotations through Flint Michigan working with underserved communities (Which is ultimately the type of communities I see myself working with)

Cons:
-Most expensive option
-Roads get icy

Drexel (Tuition 60K)

Pros:
+Would like in Philadelphia which would be super dope
+Smack dab in the East coast. Have New York and New Jersery be a stones throw away
+Students seemed chill there
+Online modules seem intended and a good response to students not going to lecture
+Basically I really like the idea of living in the east coast as I have been on the west coast my entire life

Cons:
-Hanneman closing
-Costly tuition AND Cost of living
-Facilities isolated from the popping Downtown

Members don't see this ad.

SLU - Drexel is in a dicey situation rn and you'd have no home residency programs unless they rapidly expand at tower health in Reading but they don't have an EM residency program or program director to write you a LOR currently. I'd nix MSU because it's the most expensive option. Your cons seem negliglbe in comparison to your pros for SLU :)

Reactions: 1 users
SLU (Tuition is 58K)
Cons:
-Super high murder rate in St. Louis in general (Although around the school feels safe)
-Received subpar service from the White Castle I went to
SLU.

I bet there are other white castles in Saint Louis you can try :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like SLU makes the most sense for you! It also happens to be the highest ranked in terms of research - which might help with those pubs!

Reactions: 1 user
All I know is that if I can avoid 87k for tuition, then I most certainly will

Let's cut to the chase, what do you like better?
  1. Philly cheese steaks
  2. Covered dishes and Mackinac Island fudge
  3. barbecue??????
Cue @ciestar to comment on Drexel

I really look forward to your contributions on these with food... ;)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
  1. Philly cheese steaks
  3. barbecue??????
OP can order Mackinac Island fudge if OP is craving some.
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.03.57 PM.png

• Love
  1. Philly cheese steaks
  3. barbecue??????
I would hve to go with either Philly cheesesteak or bbq. Ive never had Mackinac fudge before, but it looks like ill have to order some now lol.

I would hve to go with either Philly cheesesteak or bbq. Ive never had Mackinac fudge before, but it looks like ill have to order some now lol.
That said, if you have any specific questions about Drexel, feel free to ask!