"Smart phones" in psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I can find a data plan that doesn't completely break the bank, I'm considering getting a "smart phone" next year. Any thoughts on which ones might have apps relevant to psych or anything else to consider?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The iphone has a lot of stats applications. In my opinion, though, a calendar that caters to your organizational style is your most prized asset.

If I can find a data plan that doesn't completely break the bank, I'm considering getting a "smart phone" next area. Are thoughts on which ones might have apps relevant to psych or anything else to consider?

Thanks!

IMHO there's only one: Sprint has rolled out their 4G network and is set to release the Evo, by HTC. Sprint 4G is coming to more markets by the end of the year, while the otehr carriers are going to be ready sometime in 2011. I've owned a 3G Blackberry as well as the Droid. They were fast and helpul, but with obvious limitations (form factors, speed, instability of operating system, etc.) There's simply no reason to fool around with 3G anymore -- unless its a matter of coverage. Also -- have you considered netbooks? with Skype they're almost as good as "dedicated" smartphones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use a Motorola Droid and while I don't have any psych. specific applications yet, it is incredibly useful as a tool for every day use. I'm looking into Epocrates or similar, though I'm not sure of the best pharma program out there. Suggestions?

As for data plans...VZ is not the cheapest, but I like it better than AT&T and the iPhone, which is amazing for everything but a phone. Amazon was offering the Motorola Droid for ~$50 for new VZ contracts, which is an excellent deal.

Haha, I didn't consider having psych apps (that might be a little scary), but I have been in the market for a new phone for a while now... waiting for VZ to come out with either the Incredible or the Nexus One.

I never thought about a Psych application, and it seems kinda scary haha. You'll always have google to use. I was thinking about getting a Smart Phone as well, because I figured I would be on campus more often, eventually seeing clients, and just not near a computer.

I guess one of the questions you should be asking yourself is, where will you be geographically? If you are in a big metropolitan area, I think all the big service providers will be pretty good. If you are going to be in a rural setting, typically Verizon and AT&T are the providers to go with. Just go to their sites and see if they get good coverage in the area or not.

As for a data plan that does not break the bank, I am considering switching to Sprint. I think I am in an area that gets pretty good Sprint coverage and getting a Blackberry. They have a plan called "Everything Data- with any mobile, Anytime." The plan has 450 minutes to call landlines (people have those still?), you get UNLIMITED minutes to call other cell phones (yes, any provider), you have UNLIMITED DATA (text, Internet, Blackberry plan), and Unlimited GPS usage. The plan is only $69.99. On top of all of this they usually will give you a 15% discount on your bill if you work for certain companies or the government. I found out that being an alumni of my undergraduate institution I will get a 15% discount.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, because all the other companies require you go buy a Blackberry or Data Plan for $30, and then a unlimited messaging plan that usually cost $15-20, and this is all on top of your calling plan that is already $40-50.

I'm annoyed with myself for not just biting it and getting an iphone. They're great. They sync with google calendar, too.

I use a Motorola Droid and while I don't have any psych. specific applications yet, it is incredibly useful as a tool for every day use. I'm looking into Epocrates or similar, though I'm not sure of the best pharma program out there. Suggestions?

As for data plans...VZ is not the cheapest, but I like it better than AT&T and the iPhone, which is amazing for everything but a phone. Amazon was offering the Motorola Droid for ~$50 for new VZ contracts, which is an excellent deal.

Oooh I just realized this week that my "new every two" upgrade is available and I've been wanting a Droid, but I've had a lot of trouble with Motorola phones in the past. How long does the battery last?

Oooh I just realized this week that my "new every two" upgrade is available and I've been wanting a Droid, but I've had a lot of trouble with Motorola phones in the past. How long does the battery last?

Unfortunately if you are already a VZ customer you are limited to the upgrade price through VZ. The AMZ price is for new customers. You can qualify as a "new" customer if you are out of contract, though you'd have to essenti ally leave VZ for I think 30 days. I called the # listed on the AMZ Droid webpage and a CSR explained it to me.

As for the Droid....awesome phone, though I would highly recommend a blue tooth headset because the touch screen doesn't lock well when you are talking. The apps for it are pretty good. Check out The Droid Forum for more app info.

I don't know about smart phones, but I have an ipod touch and it's great! Especially the calendar feature! It's really easy to sync with Google calendar and I can keep track of stuff at home through my PC, anywhere on campus through public computers or through the ipod during meetings or whatever. I also have some applications for Google docs. I made a thread a long long time ago about Ipod/Iphone Apps (futureapppsy2 I can't believe I'm telling you to use the search function, please forgive me :) )
Anyway - there is an App that has the DSM and a couple of other interesting things which I thought were really helpful. They also have some general Psych apps, more high-school/Intro level but I am hopeful for something more advanced. They have a couple of 3D brain ones really useful (and free!) if you need that, and some math/stats stuff. I personally have a Freud quotes app - I know, not useful, but funny when I have a minute to kill :)
Hope this helps!

I don't know about smart phones, but I have an ipod touch and it's great! Especially the calendar feature! It's really easy to sync with Google calendar and I can keep track of stuff at home through my PC, anywhere on campus through public computers or through the ipod during meetings or whatever. I also have some applications for Google docs. I made a thread a long long time ago about Ipod/Iphone Apps (futureapppsy2 I can't believe I'm telling you to use the search function, please forgive me :) )
Anyway - there is an App that has the DSM and a couple of other interesting things which I thought were really helpful. They also have some general Psych apps, more high-school/Intro level but I am hopeful for something more advanced. They have a couple of 3D brain ones really useful (and free!) if you need that, and some math/stats stuff. I personally have a Freud quotes app - I know, not useful, but funny when I have a minute to kill :)
Hope this helps!

Very helpful--thanks! I assume you mean this thread? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=684825

ALSO: Find out which providers get service in your office and which don't. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!

You mean in your office specifically, not just in general area? Excellent point and something I've never thought of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that's the one :) As you can see it wasn't all that important since nobody replied :)
The DSM is in the "Psychiatry Constellation" along with some differential diagnosis tools and med tools. It's about 100$ but if it will be updated to the new DSM I guess for some it might pay off to have such a portable version. Anyway, if you (or anyone else) wants more info about other apps, PM me, I will gladly share what I know.

Look, I harshly dislike Apple as much as the next Linux-advocate (and trust me EVERYTHING else I use is Linux, including this netbook Im on now which is running Ubuntu Netbook Remix).... ANYWAYS... lets face it:

Comments about 4G are irrelevant, even IF a company rolls out a plan for 4G, the coverage will still be spotty AT BEST, ultimately the best coverage is and will remain Verizon especially for 3G, HOWEVER if you are living in any major metropolitan area, this becomes irrelevant (accept when I am in the tunnel on the DC metro, Verizon is better than ATT).

As far as cost of plan, they all cost relatively the same, you have to pay CLOSE attention however, because some plans, i.e., Verizon dont automatically include in the unlimited data plan, which you will need with a smart phone. ATT is sweet because they offer the BEST discounts for federal employees AND many of the universities also have discounts. So I end up paying for unlimited data, 1500 texts, 550 minutes, and all the other stuff (i.e., nights and weekends mobile to mobile etc) ~60. And lets face it, for me at least, everyone I know is on ATT so I never use those minutes, they just kind of roll over.

NOW down to the phone, back to what I was saying about the Apple product. The iPhone, as much as I dislike Apple, and how they overcharge for things, the iPhone, at least for the next couple of years, is the best phone. I wold be happy to further justify this if someone wants to email me, I have friends that work for different companies and they all agree, but just to break down the minimums:

1) 200k+ apps and growing vs the next largest database of apps for android operating systems (25k atm)
2) If you wait until June/July, the new iPhone will be released featuring a 5 megapixel camera that is front facing, a 1 giga hz processor (YAY!!!) multitasking (because of OS 4), 4x the pixel resolution it is now (is 320 x 160, will be 960x640) and the list goes on... Im waiting to update mine
3) All android based phones are years from being as good as the iPhone, remember how buggy the first and second iphones were? well thats how the droid and other android based phones are now
4) the windows mobile phones might work fine, but they dont have near the features, apps, etc the iphone does

I would be more than happy to talk with anyone further, I think this has become an incoherent ramble at this point.

REMEMBER this is pretty unbiased I have used nearly all the smart phones out there, including the Nexus One (google phone) and frankly, as much as I hate to say it, the Apple iPhone is the best (sigh)

Some day android will catch up.... lets hope

Last edited:
Please also remember HIPAA guidelines, if any of oyu want to use your phones etc for anything related to patients or patients data, make sure you use proper encryption.... i.e., 128-bit etc

and the iPhone has that capability :)

Cheers

alaskanjustin hit the nail on the head

4g is utter crap. It should not be released and advertised already, chances are you will only be able to use it ~25% of the time. Theres a reason why ATT is waiting to roll theirs out... so it can cover most of the US.

I have had an iphone since day 1 and its simply the best phone out there. My parents had blackberrys and hated them. You'll never meet an unsatisfied iPhone owner but you will meet tons of unsatisfied owners of every other smartphone out there

I don't know if anyone has said anything about this yet, BUT

If you don't have 3G coverage in your area, iPhone may not be the best if you are on an Edge network and like to surf the internet. I love my iPhone and live in a city, but it's annoying when I have to go to rural areas and when I need Google Maps it's not fast enough.

Other than that I love the iphone

I don't know if anyone has said anything about this yet, BUT

If you don't have 3G coverage in your area, iPhone may not be the best if you are on an Edge network and like to surf the internet. I love my iPhone and live in a city, but it's annoying when I have to go to rural areas and when I need Google Maps it's not fast enough.

Other than that I love the iphone

Agreed!

Also, as someone mentioned before, make sure you have coverage in your office/ apartment. I currently live in the city of Chicago, but my old apartment did not get AT&T service. It was very annoying to miss calls and have to go out of my own home to make them.

Darn... Now I don't know which to choose. I'm just hoping those iPhone/Verizon rumors are true, because AlaskanJustin has sold me on the iPhone, but my experience with Verizon makes me want to keep them! I've had nothing but great coverage with them, even in very rural places.

Darn... Now I don't know which to choose. I'm just hoping those iPhone/Verizon rumors are true, because AlaskanJustin has sold me on the iPhone, but my experience with Verizon makes me want to keep them! I've had nothing but great coverage with them, even in very rural places.

I'm also waiting in hopes that I can get an iphone through Verizon. Not wanting to be forced into AT&T is the big reason I've refused to get one so far.

Love my iPhone, which I just got about a month ago, but my old verizon phone coverage was better.:D

I will tell ya, its no secret Verizon's higher ups want the iPhone, they have been quite vocal about it. It would make sense for Apple to partner (again, because at one point iPhone was on Verizon early on but was dropped for whatever reason) with Verizon it would significantly increase their market. Its also not a secret that Jobs has been in negotiations with Verizon. So I am willing to go out on the limb AND say that come Apple's conference end of June/early July, there will be an announcement of a release of the iPhone for Verizon.

Now what remains to be seen is the following: When the iPhone is released, will it be the new one released for ATT? Or will it be a modified version of the 3G S, or will Verizon get the new iPhone while ATT gets the modified 3G S. This would also all depend on whether or not the new iPhone gets the capability of handling 4G or not (I personally dont think it will, not this year maybe next, as we noted its irrelevant, the relevant change is making it HD).
Whichever phone does come out for Verizon, it WILL be able to handle OS 4, so all things such as multitasking will be functional.

Anyhoo, cant believe Im trying to get people to buy this thing, but I have to just be honest because its what I think and what i am going to buy come July. (ps, someone asked what the cost would be, just like any other phone company, once you sign a 2 year contract, the phone will range from 199 to 299 depending on size)

AJ

I've also been wondering whether or not a smartphone would be a good investment for grad school.
It's time for me to upgrade/renew my contract anyway, so now I'm debating if I should get the iPhone now, since that's what I was leaning towards, or wait until the summer...

I've also been wondering whether or not a smartphone would be a good investment for grad school.
It's time for me to upgrade/renew my contract anyway, so now I'm debating if I should get the iPhone now, since that's what I was leaning towards, or wait until the summer...

Im up in Toronto and I couldnt sleep, so I figured I would reply to this.

Wait, absolutely just wait. Pay the month to month and dont renew your contract yet. Then when the new one comes out, renew then to get the phone discounted. There is absolutely no good reason to get the phone now when there will most certainly be a new one on the way out, unless you are impatient and absolutely cannot resist getting one now.

I have to laugh about the app count for android devices, blackberries and the Iphone...how many of these are top sellers? How many are must have freebies? How many are "fart" apps? How many are simple puzzle games? How many are to be found on all the major platforms (eg pandora). Anyway there will be "must have" apps for each OS -- do the research and find out which might be ones you'd like to play with. I like the suggestion about good calendar apps. Also look for apps that let you edit your word, excel, pdf, etc. files.

Really have to shake my head re: "you'll never meet an unsatisfied iphone owner" -- you may not have met one, but a simple search of various on-line forums will give you a better sense of what people are complaining about and why some have decided to ditch their iphones. Not everyone comes away from their iphone experience a happy customer. As for android being not quite ready, I'd agree, and that's why I returned my droid. I may yet go back to RIM -- it all depends on what they do in the next nine or so months.

As for the advice to wait on the next gen iphone -- I'd agree to a point -- but you want a phone, you have to pull the trigger sometime and can't always wait for the next best thing. RIM hired one of Apple's top Iphone design guys about a year ago...by year's end they will have something that merits significant attention. And new android phones are coming out in droves. Then Windows gets into the action with their new OS sometime near the end of this year, too... Also -- given changes in screen technology, many new devices have/are going to have far better battery life than is currently the norm. (The droid and the blackberry were just sad in this regard...). Lastly, if you wait, the app count balance is sure to change (and you may find that one sweet fart app that makes the waiting worthwhile...).

You may think it's irrelevant, but as long as you're waiting, 4g is coming, in more and more markets. It's the next standard. Whether it's more or less relevant than HD is irrelevant, because both are coming and you might not need to wait too long before you won't need to choose between the two. Plus people by smartphones that favor the functions which suit their own needs.

Me I'm likely to wait a few months or so to see what is available on 4G rather than get locked into a 3g plan for two years because my phone (or wireless card) isn't capable of operating on the new standard. Then again, I may get to school and from day one feel totally unprepared without a smartphone... One thing I'm clear about -- the biggest argument in favor of a smartphone for school is not really about schoolwork. It's about moving to an unfamiliar area and having such a great tool to help me figure out what to look for in real time, keep in touch with my family as they make the adjustment, etc... That'll be tough to wait on.

the biggest argument in favor of a smartphone for school is not really about schoolwork. It's about moving to an unfamiliar area and having such a great tool to help me figure out what to look for in real time, keep in touch with my family as they make the adjustment, etc.

I was kind of wondering about this. I've only had my current phone (not a smartphone) for about 1.5 years, so it will be pricy for me to upgrade. I was just wondering how current grad students feel about owning a smartphone... I'm sure you could survive without one, but does it make your life significantly easier in some way? Not necessarily schoolwork (as Buzzword said), but am I going to be setting myself up for some kind of frustration without one? Just wondering :)

You can get unlocked iPhones on eBay or Craigslist that will work with Verizon.

I've known many ppl to do this and have had no issues whatsoever.

Wait, absolutely just wait. Pay the month to month and dont renew your contract yet. Then when the new one comes out, renew then to get the phone discounted. There is absolutely no good reason to get the phone now when there will most certainly be a new one on the way out, unless you are impatient and absolutely cannot resist getting one now.

Fully agree on waiting. I currently have an Iphone. I love it. I got it last year in May. The new Iphone came out in June, 33 days after I purchased my Iphone. The three days was held up and I was not able to get the upgrade or get the 100 return in price drop. This was pretty frustrating, but I still love the phone. When my contract is up next year, I will definitely pay the month to month until Apple's meeting in June/July.

I think I will do this, I've finished my latest two-year commitment so July-August would be a great time to upgrade. Forgive my ignorance, but would a 4G phone lack any of a 3G phones features? If I get one and end up in a spot without 4G coverage for a year or two, am I missing out on anything that a slightly older 3G phone has? (features/speed/etc.)

Also, totally off-topic, but I just got back from a mini-conference in Toronto and I loved the city! Hope you got/get some time to roam, Justin!

You can get unlocked iPhones on eBay or Craigslist that will work with Verizon.

I've known many ppl to do this and have had no issues whatsoever.

iphones use GSM/3G while Verizon uses CDMA technology. Completely different cellular networks. Explain how an iphone with the wrong cellular equipment work on an incompatible network?

iphones use GSM/3G while Verizon uses CDMA technology. Completely different cellular networks. Explain how an iphone with the wrong cellular equipment work on an incompatible network?

You can hack Iphones i.e. unlock them. No idea of the mechanics involved.

Last edited:

So you can use the iphone if you jailbreak and unlock it.... problem is, once you do this it doesnt matter what phone you have you lose ALL neat functions of the iPhone, i.e., you lose 3G, visual voicemail etc, it basically just becomes a basic phone running "2G" or the basic network. I understand the differences in networks, however I have a couple friends that bought 2G iPhones (such as mine) that were unlocked and jailbroken, then took them to India and used them just fine.

I wouldnt recommend this though, it defeats a lot of the purposes of the iPhone

So you can use the iphone if you jailbreak and unlock it.... problem is, once you do this it doesnt matter what phone you have you lose ALL neat functions of the iPhone, i.e., you lose 3G, visual voicemail etc, it basically just becomes a basic phone running "2G" or the basic network. I understand the differences in networks, however I have a couple friends that bought 2G iPhones (such as mine) that were unlocked and jailbroken, then took them to India and used them just fine.

I wouldnt recommend this though, it defeats a lot of the purposes of the iPhone

You are not getting it. ATT uses the GSM network, Verizon uses the CDMA network. You cannot use a GSM phone on a CDMA network. I'll say it once again for the cheap seats - there are no iphones on Verizon's network. I don't give a crap what's happening in India. We are talking about iphones on Verizon. Someone said they have seen his friends hack iphones off ebay and do it, I call bullshit.

I have to laugh about the app count for android devices, blackberries and the Iphone...how many of these are top sellers? How many are must have freebies? How many are "fart" apps? How many are simple puzzle games? How many are to be found on all the major platforms (eg pandora). Anyway there will be "must have" apps for each OS -- do the research and find out which might be ones you'd like to play with. I like the suggestion about good calendar apps. Also look for apps that let you edit your word, excel, pdf, etc. files.

Normally I might agree with you and the anti iPhone movement, but I mean are you seriously going to argue that the proportion of fart apps or whatever is high enough to discount the app network? Even if you remove fart apps from the iPhone database, you then ALSO have to remove fart apps from the droid or other databases, and you will STILL have an overwhelming number of iPhone apps compared to the rest.

Now if you were going to argue something about cost of apps I might agree, I hate the fact that so many apps cost, which is why I hope at some point the FREE droid app sets increases enough to compete with that of the iPhone... but come on you have to admit we are still several years from this being true. Fact still remains, iPhone app list is far greater than any other.

Really have to shake my head re: "you'll never meet an unsatisfied iphone owner" -- you may not have met one, but a simple search of various on-line forums will give you a better sense of what people are complaining about and why some have decided to ditch their iphones. Not everyone comes away from their iphone experience a happy customer. As for android being not quite ready, I'd agree, and that's why I returned my droid. I may yet go back to RIM -- it all depends on what they do in the next nine or so months.

Again, picking out a few cases can equally be done for ALL smart phones, I mean there is still a reason why companies like CNET, etc all review the iPhone as the golden standard, yes the iPhone doesnt do everything, but overall is still the best, and once the new one comes out with the new OS 4 it will also do what all the other phones do and will have what all the other phones have.

At some point I admittedly see myself going to an Android based phone, the new Android 2.1 is sexy, no doubt, but still too far into its infancy for me to use it. Like I tell people, I know I wont be unhappy with the new iPhone, but I dont know if that is true for any other phone. i.e., I was miserable testing the nexus one, it was awful.

As for the advice to wait on the next gen iphone -- I'd agree to a point -- but you want a phone, you have to pull the trigger sometime and can't always wait for the next best thing. RIM hired one of Apple's top Iphone design guys about a year ago...by year's end they will have something that merits significant attention. And new android phones are coming out in droves. Then Windows gets into the action with their new OS sometime near the end of this year, too... Also -- given changes in screen technology, many new devices have/are going to have far better battery life than is currently the norm. (The droid and the blackberry were just sad in this regard...). Lastly, if you wait, the app count balance is sure to change (and you may find that on sweet fart app that makes the waiting worthwhile...).

Hm yeah I know you have to get one eventually, BUT Im only suggesting a couple months, this June or July is right around the corner... I mean Im fine with my iPhone 2G for now, im sure everyone else would be fine for another 2 months or so. Plus each successive year the price has gone down with each new phone, plus relative to all the top of the line phones mentioned here (droid, nexus one, blackberry etc) the iPhone is identically priced (this assumes that with all phones you will get the 2 year price plan, and the iPhone 16gb not the bigger 32 gb, which may change as well with the new phone, but still 16gb is bigger than any other smart phone for the same price).

Oh and my only comment on Windows... is... really? Sorry no offense to Windows users but I just dont trust a company that has had so many operating system blunders over the last few years. Im sure they make a perfectly fine product for a computer, and a perfectly fine smart phone for a business man, but I still dont trust it, thats my honest personal bias.

You may think it's irrelevant, but as long as you're waiting, 4g is coming, in more and more markets. It's the next standard. Whether it's more or less relevant than HD is irrelevant, because both are coming and you might not need to wait too long before you won't need to choose between the two. Plus people by smartphones that favor the functions which suit their own needs.

I mean none of us can know for certain how the next few months/year will progress, maybe the iPhone will have the 4G, personally I think it should too, but who knows the truth in all these matters. My opinion is that of all the issues pertaining to a phone, this is the lowest on the totem pole.

So what needs does the iPhone not satisfy for you? I can think of only one (at least once the new OS 4 and new phone come out then the rest will be solved) and that is tethering... turns out though that the iPhone CAN tether, we have those bastards ATT to blame for the inability to tether, not Apple.

Me I'm likely to wait a few months or so to see what is available on 4G rather than get locked into a 3g plan for two years because my phone (or wireless card) isn't capable of operating on the new standard. Then again, I may get to school and from day one feel totally unprepared without a smartphone... One thing I'm clear about -- the biggest argument in favor of a smartphone for school is not really about schoolwork. It's about moving to an unfamiliar area and having such a great tool to help me figure out what to look for in real time, keep in touch with my family as they make the adjustment, etc... That'll be tough to wait on.

idk most people on here arent moving until after July anyways so waiting isnt a matter of inconvenience, its a matter of patience.

For those of us that have a smart phone there is no going back to something not smart, and those that dont have one... well just wait, 2 or so months then make the switch. 200 bucks plus a 70 dollar or so month plan and you are golden.

Cheers

You are not getting it. ATT uses the GSM network, Verizon uses the CDMA network. You cannot use a GSM phone on a CDMA network. I'll say it once again for the cheap seats - there are no iphones on Verizon's network. I don't give a crap what's happening in India. We are talking about iphones on Verizon. Someone said they have seen his friends hack iphones off ebay and do it, I call bullshit.

sorry wasnt paying attention I was thinking something else, whoever said google it is right, so many people have tried, it does not work. Only thing that works, which is something I have done when Im back home in AK is the following (not this one specifically one that a buddy made):

http://cnettv.cnet.com/use-iphone-verizon/9742-1_53-50075590.html