Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ straanth: why don't you have Nebraskaaaa among these names??

You can just add the university site yourself and your name underneath.

Members don't see this ad.

How does Columbia accept people with 3.4 GPAs in SMDEP and enroll them in their medical/dental programs. Doesn't quite make sense.

That's not what the program is looking for. They are looking for pre-meds who want to work in places where doctors are needed.

That's not what the program is looking for. They are looking for pre-meds who want to work in places where doctors are needed.

i agree. i am sure that is what all programs are looking for. but someone had said the program had a high rate of of smdep applicants who were admitted to the medical/dental school. i don't think acceptance to a particular program site equates to acceptance to their actual professional program as i am sure admission committees, not diversity committees in charge of smdep hold different standards and objectives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nebraska for dental!

Message me if you're also going to Nebraska! It'd be sweet to get to know some of you beforehand!

How does Columbia accept people with 3.4 GPAs in SMDEP and enroll them in their medical/dental programs. Doesn't quite make sense.

That's really uncalled for and just elitist of you. Doesn't matter what GPA you have in the real world buddy. Come on man! not cool. GPA shouldn't hinder anyone from a great opportunity like this.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually what I said was not to be taken as SMDEP = Automatic Admissions, but if you have the chance you go to the school for SMDEP you will meet professors, physicians, dean of admissions, etc Therefore you have the chance to form a relationship with these ppl which may help you in the admissions process. Which is probably why SOME people who attend the program eventually matriculate. I never said all! Next the average GPA for admissions is 3.79 which means it is likely for someone with a 3.4 to get it. Do the math.

Actually what I said was not to be taken as SMDEP = Automatic Admissions, but if you have the chance you go to the school for SMDEP you will meet professors, physicians, dean of admissions, etc Therefore you have the chance to form a relationship with these ppl which may help you in the admissions process. Which is probably why SOME people who attend the program eventually matriculate. I never said all! Next the average GPA for admissions is 3.79 which means it is likely for someone with a 3.4 to get it. Do the math.

the average admissions is 3.6 GPA.

Last edited:
Hey guys is the application supposed to be 100% complete once you confirm a site or is it normal to still show 95%?
hey, i have been accepted to univ of washington and i confirmed my status is still 95%

I can speak about the dental school, not the medical school. Columbia is a school that puts huge influence on the DAT score, and not so much on the GPA. Generally, people who ROCK their DATs will have a decent/great GPA anyway, but that isn't necessarily the case. At the dental school (this is just from memory...) there were something like 12 minorities (in the most recent class) and I think 9 of them were in SMDEP somewhere (most were at the Columbia d-school). The diversity department has a say in admissions, if they didn't, why would they exist?

Also, for instance, let's say I'm applying for Dental School at Columbia. If I have a LOR from the head of the Diversity Dept. of Columbia, don't you think that would carry some weight?

We had many meetings about admissions, and at the end, they told us, that if we could get over a 20 on our DATs - preferably >22 that we should call/email them and remind them that we went through the SMDEP program there and the great score we got. They obviously couldn't guarantee admission to the school, but they said that they would help us as much as they could.

I think going to the site where you would most likely want to go to school would be a good idea, and unless you do something really stupid while you are there, it can only help you.

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! :D

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
3. futpedMD...YALE, how you doin'?? )
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

I'm working on my essays trying to get this submitted ASAP... Applying to Washington & UCLA because of scheduling conflicts. Might apply to a third as well. AHHHH HURRY UP DON'T CLOSE DON'T CLOSE

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working on my essays trying to get this submitted ASAP... Applying to Washington & UCLA because of scheduling conflicts. Might apply to a third as well. AHHHH HURRY UP DON'T CLOSE DON'T CLOSE

i'm guessing you are on the quarter system. So am I. you should still apply to another school though, maybe work somethings out with your spring quarter professors to take the finals early.

I can speak about the dental school, not the medical school. Columbia is a school that puts huge influence on the DAT score, and not so much on the GPA. Generally, people who ROCK their DATs will have a decent/great GPA anyway, but that isn't necessarily the case. At the dental school (this is just from memory...) there were something like 12 minorities (in the most recent class) and I think 9 of them were in SMDEP somewhere (most were at the Columbia d-school). The diversity department has a say in admissions, if they didn't, why would they exist?

Also, for instance, let's say I'm applying for Dental School at Columbia. If I have a LOR from the head of the Diversity Dept. of Columbia, don't you think that would carry some weight?

We had many meetings about admissions, and at the end, they told us, that if we could get over a 20 on our DATs - preferably >22 that we should call/email them and remind them that we went through the SMDEP program there and the great score we got. They obviously couldn't guarantee admission to the school, but they said that they would help us as much as they could.

I think going to the site where you would most likely want to go to school would be a good idea, and unless you do something really stupid while you are there, it can only help you.

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! :D

I hope this is true for medical school. Because I wouldnt mind going to columbia med.:thumbup:

That's really uncalled for and just elitist of you. Doesn't matter what GPA you have in the real world buddy. Come on man! not cool. GPA shouldn't hinder anyone from a great opportunity like this.

...I suppose so. I was just expressing my thoughts, but I see I've rustled some feathers. Anyways, best to have a competitive GPA. :)

ACCEPTED TO UCLA SMDEP! :D

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

UCLA
1. echen

Howard

Case

accepted to UVA and Duke

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex =)

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

UCLA
1. echen

Howard

Case

I am so excited for everyone that got accepted!

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway
2. ncdent7191

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

UCLA
1. echen

Howard

Case

and BTW...

for the people that were getting a bit testy earlier on in the conversation with GPA and all of that...

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Be the person you know you can be, do the best you can, have the passion you want to have, and it will all fall into place. That's the philosophy I have been motivated by for the past few years with school, and it's worked out really well for me. Just focus on keeping your GPA above the average, test scores above the average, AND STAY BUSY!

We all have the potential to be great health-care providers, and that is why we were accepted at SMDEP...so honestly, all the arguing and whatnot is really immature, not professional, and a waste of time.

Get happy people! =]

i'm guessing you are on the quarter system. So am I. you should still apply to another school though, maybe work somethings out with your spring quarter professors to take the finals early.

Good guess...I'm thinking about New Jersey. Got a great uncle up there i haven't seen in a long time that I'd definitely like to see sometime soon, this would be a good excuse to get over there.

Last edited:
The people that got into Yale, What school and state do you come from, I am from FIU Honors College, Miami FL Go Panthers!:cool:

Hey is there any chance someone on this site would be willing to take a look at my application essays and give me some critical feedback on how I can improve them? I've got a really solid foundation that I would even consider submitting as-is, but I would really appreciate anyone with some interest in my "diverse background" or "personal comments" taking a look and giving me their impressions, remarks, whatever. Grammar and wording and everything goes here folks, give me a holler and i'll pm it to you.

And no worries if it isn't the case that you want to read my essay, because nothing any of you could do to me could ever offend me. :thumbup:

I'll take a look. PM me

So the classes we take in the program don't count towards our credit hours? I hope it did but apparently not.

So the classes we take in the program don't count towards our credit hours? I hope it did but apparently not.

yeah pretty shi--- deal...and they only give you 5000 dollars

ummm 5000 or 500??!!! :eek:

hahhaha wowwwwwwww massive typo. Point being that people should do this program (from what I hear) for the experience it provides. The money should be icing on the cake

...and expecting credit on top of that is probably a little overboard

The opportunities (classes, shadowing, mock interviews, etc) are awesome and I don't know other programs that offer what this one offers all in just 6 weeks. The stipend for my site $750, which isn't bad for just being there for 6 weeks! I could care less about getting credit for classes, it'll be more of a review for when I take the classes back at my university.

hahhaha wowwwwwwww massive typo. Point being that people should do this program (from what I hear) for the experience it provides. The money should be icing on the cake

...and expecting credit on top of that is probably a little overboard

yeah i guess so. but now i'm thinking to take the classes I wanted to take in summer as a 4 week class or something . :confused:
otherwise we're going to fall behind. but yeah it's a pretty awesome program.
Where you heading????

yeah i guess so. but now i'm thinking to take the classes I wanted to take in summer as a 4 week class or something . :confused:
otherwise we're going to fall behind. but yeah it's a pretty awesome program.
Where you heading????

app completed 15th of Feb. Received 1 LOR. Applied to UVA, Howard and Columbia.

I cannot wait for summer! :D

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway
2. ncdent7191

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex
4. ib4walrus

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

UCLA
1. echen

Howard

Case

"Now, 12 years later, more than 9,179 students have participated in SMDEP. Of those that have applied to medical school, 63 percent have been accepted." -Case

is it even worth it to apply now? I applied to the Amgen scholars programs, but just found out about this one. I probably could finish the app pretty quick, and LOR I can just use the old ones. But is it rolling admission are my chances 0?

Awesome to see that you guys set up a thread for this! I was hoping there would be something on Facebook for the Columbia group, but there wasn't. So I started a page for the 2011 group--

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_128387447233146

Congrats, everyone!!

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway
2. ncdent7191

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple
5. mhernandez13

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex
4. ib4walrus

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

UCLA
1. echen

Howard

Case

"NEBRASKA SMDEP 2011" official facebook page for Nebraska Scholars. WE KEEP U UPDATED!!! LOL

is it even worth it to apply now? I applied to the Amgen scholars programs, but just found out about this one. I probably could finish the app pretty quick, and LOR I can just use the old ones. But is it rolling admission are my chances 0?

It depends on the site. Some sites have rolling admission some don't. And to answer your question, your chances aren't 0 and it wouldn't hurt to try! Good luck.

It depends on the site. Some sites have rolling admission some don't. And to answer your question, your chances aren't 0 and it wouldn't hurt to try! Good luck.

finished my app in 30 min lets see how this goes lol

Most of the sites are no longer rolling.

if you go on the app site is says they are closed. Columbia, Yale, and Duke are all closed for Medicine

I said some. There are sites that have rolling admissions.

if you go on the app site is says they are closed. Columbia, Yale, and Duke are all closed for Medicine

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't first come first serve by definition rolling admission?