Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I hope to see you there! Would be nice to meet a fellow SDNer in person. Wishing us both luck luls. Long road ahead anyway.

for sure, that'll be cool :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

No matter what site you go to you will probably see someone from this site or the facebook group so that's pretty cool too.

That's true. Lol, interesting ice breaker.

"So, have you heard of SDN?" :confused:

YEAH MAN IZSO AWSM. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Im still jumping through hoops here. this is weak I don't think Im gonna make the deadline. Im not gonna bug the hell outta my profs but my transcript still hasnt arrived even though I ordered it a month ago :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Im still jumping through hoops here. this is weak I don't think Im gonna make the deadline. Im not gonna bug the hell outta my profs but my transcript still hasnt arrived even though I ordered it a month ago :bang::bang::bang::bang:

You might want to email the NPO about the transcript. I had sent mine on 11/30, but it still was wasn't posted as received in January! I emailed them about and it turns out they had it the entire time, just never posted it online :-/

OH-- and UVA is reviewing my app! :eek: :) :xf:

OH-- and UVA is reviewing my app! :eek: :) :xf:

when did you submit your app? I submitted mine sometime around the first week of January but Im afraid its late compared to others

You might want to email the NPO about the transcript. I had sent mine on 11/30, but it still was wasn't posted as received in January! I emailed them about and it turns out they had it the entire time, just never posted it online :-/

Yup i am having the same problem with one of my LOR....it was sent last week of November and they STILL have not received it a month a a half later. I sent an email end of December and one yesterday and they STILL have not replied. I tried calling them and nobody answered. If you ask me, they are ridiculous to get a hold of and its making me really nervous bc i NEED that LOR . I will keep calling. good luck though and call/email them now! :thumbup:

when did you submit your app? I submitted mine sometime around the first week of January but Im afraid its late compared to others

I submitted it on 12/18 and my app was completed 1/07 (when they found my transcript).

Yup i am having the same problem with one of my LOR....it was sent last week of November and they STILL have not received it a month a a half later. I sent an email end of December and one yesterday and they STILL have not replied. I tried calling them and nobody answered. If you ask me, they are ridiculous to get a hold of and its making me really nervous bc i NEED that LOR . I will keep calling. good luck though and call/email them now! :thumbup:

Did you get a copy of the fax from your letter writer to make sure it went through?

hey guys!
I've also applied for SMDEP this summer at Nebraska,Louisville and Case Western
and all 3 are reviewing Ahhhhhhhh SUPER NERVOUS!
Good luck to u guys!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get a copy of the fax from your letter writer to make sure it went through?

yup i did. i am guessing they have it but never put it in as being recieved :( I will call them again to make sure though. Just saw that yale and UVA are reviewing mine now. so nervous and praying i get into somewhere.good luck to everyone!:xf:

AND for anyone that has attended SMDEP...did anyone see filipinos being accepted? I know they are not URM but i was just curious to see if i still have a chance.

AND for anyone that has attended SMDEP...did anyone see filipinos being accepted? I know they are not URM but i was just curious to see if i still have a chance.
If you look at the pictures of past smdep summers,there are a lot of Asians/whites etc... Very diverse..

If you look at the pictures of past smdep summers,there are a lot of Asians/whites etc... Very diverse..

yea. we had to write a whole essay on that. would not make sense if it were not diverse.

yea. we had to write a whole essay on that. would not make sense if it were not diverse.

Yea I understand that... but i know that this program aims towards URM and I just wanted to know if there were other nationalities. thanks though.

What are my chances?

Hey! So I'm a URM. I live in Puerto Rico but go to school in the USA. I have a 3.23 GPA from a selective liberal arts school. Although the GPA is kinda low, I have tons of EC's. I play Division 1 soccer, I tutor chemistry, I'm a TA for Spanish class, I'm vp of hall student council, i play club rugby, and i belong to the health science and hispanic clubs.

I have strong essays.. idk how my LORs are, i hope they're good. but idk. what do you think my chances are of getting into Duke, Huston, or Nebraska?

also, I submitted my app like a week ago.

Thanks ! and good luck to all of you guys!

I submitted it on 12/18 and my app was completed 1/07 (when they found my transcript).

Thanks, I ask because I also applied to UVA and I really want to go there but my app was completed on the 18th of Jan just like Torshi's. The only site that is actually reviewing my app right now is Yale =/ and well Yale is Yale haha speaks for its self, if I get in there ill be jumping off the walls haha
I just want to get into one of them ahhh

What are my chances?

I don't know how selective the programs are, but I have heard that Nebraska and Houston are less competitive. I don't think your GPA is going to be a huge problem considering the rest of your app.

I hope I get into at least one site too, nadinex! Good luck :luck:

So. . .I just got a call from Duke's Multicultural Resources Center asking for my fall 2010 grades, so that my transcript could be updated for the SMDEP selection process. . .and that was my WORST semester. . .well, we'll see how this goes. . .anyone else get that call?

So. . .I just got a call from Duke's Multicultural Resources Center asking for my fall 2010 grades, so that my transcript could be updated for the SMDEP selection process. . .and that was my WORST semester. . .well, we'll see how this goes. . .anyone else get that call?

Yep, I got the same call. You can just tell them over the phone what your grades were for the fall semester.

I didn't get a call from Duke:wtf:...but maybe that's a good thing.

So speaking of grades... I got mine back and they were ok. But I just talked to my chem prof and she changed my B in chem to an A-.... So I have a 3.73 and the transcript I sent out (and they received) said 3.57... The grade change won't be processed for a week, what should I do?!

Hi Everyone I don't know if this is too late but for those still applying here's some suggestions:

Don't worry about your GPA, even if they're below 3.0, but you might want to explain why (just 2 sentences).

The main thing is your essay. They're looking for students who are interested in working with underserved population--doesn't have to be URM, for example you can express interest in working in rural areas or with the elderly.. stuff like that.

Don't think Nebraska is not competitive. If you look at their medical school acceptance rate, it's very low for out of state, I think their more lenient towards students born and raised in Nebraska and surrounding states. I got rejected there.

So speaking of grades... I got mine back and they were ok. But I just talked to my chem prof and she changed my B in chem to an A-.... So I have a 3.73 and the transcript I sent out (and they received) said 3.57... The grade change won't be processed for a week, what should I do?!

IN MY OPINION: it depends if they already have your transcripts it might be too late. If they don't, consider the fact that if you wait until after Feb.1 of time in a way that your transcripts will not get there in time for Feb.1 then you would be at the top of the line so to speak for the 2nd batch of admissions. Since it is first come first serve that is important.

Hey guys!
I hope all is going well with your SMDEP apps. I submitted on about the 15th to UW, Nebraska, and Columbia -- and although all of my LORs, transcripts, etc have been received (and for the transcript, approved), none of the SMDEP sites have started to review my application.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm assuming they're just taking their time....but I was just a little concerned :).

Good luck! Anyone else apply to UW, Nebraska, or Columbia?

Hey guys!
I hope all is going well with your SMDEP apps. I submitted on about the 15th to UW, Nebraska, and Columbia -- and although all of my LORs, transcripts, etc have been received (and for the transcript, approved), none of the SMDEP sites have started to review my application.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm assuming they're just taking their time....but I was just a little concerned :).

Prob taking time. Because i submitted on the 11th.
Louisville and Houston are reviewing mine but not Nebraska. So some prob are just taking there time, it really doesn't matter because no matter what their is a decision on the Feb 15th so I'm good..

IN MY OPINION: it depends if they already have your transcripts it might be too late. If they don't, consider the fact that if you wait until after Feb.1 of time in a way that your transcripts will not get there in time for Feb.1 then you would be at the top of the line so to speak for the 2nd batch of admissions. Since it is first come first serve that is important.

I talked to them today... The supremely unhelpful lady on the other end suggested that it really did not make enough of difference in my GPA to resubmit. She said that I would be running the risk of not being accepted if I waited more than if my GPA was a little lower. I don't know if that's true...

I talked to them today... The supremely unhelpful lady on the other end suggested that it really did not make enough of difference in my GPA to resubmit. She said that I would be running the risk of not being accepted if I waited more than if my GPA was a little lower. I don't know if that's true...

I kinda feel the same way. Admission to the program is much more oriented around essay quality and time of submission than GPA. Personally, I wouldn't do it because in this case, early submission >> .2 GPA increase.

I kinda feel the same way. Admission to the program is much more oriented around essay quality and time of submission than GPA. Personally, I wouldn't do it because in this case, early submission >> .2 GPA increase.

Probably true. Just spazzing because I decided to be THAT PERSON and applied to Yale, Duke and Colombia... And I am no where near URM status. Ah well, there's always research or something. *Crosses fingers and prays desperately*

Hi,

I just submitted my application today but I sent my LOR's and transcripts before submitting my application. A transcript from one of my colleges was sent out on 1/22, if it gets there by Feb 1st (unprocessed by SMDEP) will I still be considered as early application? Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Yup, I applied to the same exact ones. Good luck!

yea i agree with that

Hey guys!

Yea I'm going through the same thing, it took them a long time to finally write that they had received my LORS and transcript so I called them and they did:) I applied to Columbia, Duke and UMDNJ. It doesn't say they're reviewing it yet:/ *KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED*

I did smdep in yale this past summer. I had the time of my life, but I didn't learn much. smdep is nothing special

I did smdep in yale this past summer. I had the time of my life, but I didn't learn much. smdep is nothing special

Any reason why? I'm curious.

peter%20griffin%20-%20go%20on...%20.jpg

Any reason why? I'm curious.

peter%20griffin%20-%20go%20on...%20.jpg

Alright so this is what smdep is going to look like: everyday you have 3 classes..one writing, two sciences. A yale professor teaches the biology class, but that's it. After class is over and after one week when everyone becomes comfortable, everyone starts going to parties. The information they give for classes like physics, orgo, chem, are all basic stuff that you should know already. I think the yale professor was the only class I learned something.
It's a great time to meet new people and have a fun summer, but I wouldn't consider it anything more and I doubt med schools do too. SMDEP is a funded program and schools like yale, columbia only host smdep. It's not like columbia or yale is offering the program, its just that smdep is at yale or columbia which isn't a big deal. Also it is very easy to get in, they just pick the first 100 students that meet the criteria and there are a lot and I mean A LOT of weak students. People who don't even know basics, don't even know simple chemical equation is.

Alright so this is what smdep is going to look like: everyday you have 3 classes..one writing, two sciences. A yale professor teaches the biology class, but that's it. After class is over and after one week when everyone becomes comfortable, everyone starts going to parties. The information they give for classes like physics, orgo, chem, are all basic stuff that you should know already. I think the yale professor was the only class I learned something.
It's a great time to meet new people and have a fun summer, but I wouldn't consider it anything more and I doubt med schools do too. SMDEP is a funded program and schools like yale, columbia only host smdep. It's not like columbia or yale is offering the program, its just that smdep is at yale or columbia which isn't a big deal. Also it is very easy to get in, they just pick the first 100 students that meet the criteria and there are a lot and I mean A LOT of weak students. People who don't even know basics, don't even know simple chemical equation is.

Interesting... thank you for sharing that info about SMDEP. As an SMDEP alumni do you think I can make it for the early acceptance deadline if my transcripts were mailed on the 22nd of January by my college?

Thanks for the insight! Wish I had applied earlier to more competitive sites. Oh well, we'll see how things go.

Were you a second year when you did this program?

Were you a second year when you did this program?
No I actually applied to this program as a senior in hs. Our school had majors and one of them was a biomed major. One of the cool things about it was you could apply to the program a year early under special guidelines. When you get accepted you'll see a lot of to-be-freshman

No I actually applied to this program as a senior in hs. Our school had majors and one of them was a biomed major. One of the cool things about it was you could apply to the program a year early under special guidelines. When you get accepted you'll see a lot of to-be-freshman

to-be freshmen?. . .that's weird, my friend also went to smdep yale and said that there were only college sophomores and freshmen. . .so, you went to smdep yale after your senior year of high school, but you felt that the college level bio, chemistry, and physics classes were basic stuff that you should already know?. . .???. . .your experiences seem very out of the ordinary. . .did you not benefit any from the academic/career advising or clinical experiences?

Ones, so you're saying that SMDEP won't look that good on a med-school application? Would it be better to just volunteer for a summer at a hospital instead.

Or perhaps do an internship.

Hey guys, for the people who have had their transcripts mailed (more than ten days ago), CALL THE OFFICE!! There's a number on the SMDEP website. My school mailed in mine a long time ago and after 3 weeks, i got nervous and called them to make sure. Indeed, they did have my transcript, but didn't have the time to update the site (tf?) They did, however, updated my file THAT day. Anyways, the website did say your file had to be "completed" by Feb 1st, and if they don't update your file, its not really complete now is it? Your file should say something like "Application completed on [whatever date]" Heck, call them anyways, regardless of when your transcipt was mailed.

Update on the sites: Columbia already started reviewing my app (about a week ago), Duke and UW still have -- on their sections. But, I did get a call from the Duke lady yesterday about my FALL 2010 courseload/grades. UW, what is going on?! Lol

Okay, so med schools may not see your SMDEP experience as "ooh la la" moment and be crazily amazed by it, but hey, its better than lounging around all summer doing nothing...some of us tell ourselves that we will go volunteer, but when your friends are out having fun, I'm sure your brain is gonna think fun>>volunteering. Plus, they tell you its a review of basic courses required by medical schools so why are you surprised that they will go over basic bio and orgo? Of course we have learned and should "know" it all already, but I highly doubt that you KNOW the material so well that you will get a 45 on the MCAT. So all in all, its good review...especially organic chem, there's a million mechanisms to remember/know/understand....i really dont mind a review. Biology is a pretty broad subject too..maybe the info they give you will come up on the MCAT, who knows?

I don't know about you guys, but its the SUMMER, I know this is supposed to be an "intensive enrichment program" but I don't want to be mentally exhausted when I have to return for the FALL semester (where you actually get graded and med schools DO CARE ABOUT GRADES)... once you start having a courseload of mainly science courses, you will see what I mean.

Once again, good luck to all, and if we do get into the same site, we can be fb friends :)

(If there are any typos in this post, bear with me, I just realized how long it is, and don't feel like rereading it..harhar)

Hey guys, for the people who have had their transcripts mailed (more than ten days ago), CALL THE OFFICE!! There's a number on the SMDEP website. My school mailed in mine a long time ago and after 3 weeks, i got nervous and called them to make sure. Indeed, they did have my transcript, but didn't have the time to update the site (tf?) They did, however, updated my file THAT day. Anyways, the website did say your file had to be "completed" by Feb 1st, and if they don't update your file, its not really complete now is it? Your file should say something like "Application completed on [whatever date]" Heck, call them anyways, regardless of when your transcipt was mailed.

Update on the sites: Columbia already started reviewing my app (about a week ago), Duke and UW still have -- on their sections. But, I did get a call from the Duke lady yesterday about my FALL 2010 courseload/grades. UW, what is going on?! Lol

Okay, so med schools may not see your SMDEP experience as "ooh la la" moment and be crazily amazed by it, but hey, its better than lounging around all summer doing nothing...some of us tell ourselves that we will go volunteer, but when your friends are out having fun, I'm sure your brain is gonna think fun>>volunteering. Plus, they tell you its a review of basic courses required by medical schools so why are you surprised that they will go over basic bio and orgo? Of course we have learned and should "know" it all already, but I highly doubt that you KNOW the material so well that you will get a 45 on the MCAT. So all in all, its good review...especially organic chem, there's a million mechanisms to remember/know/understand....i really dont mind a review. Biology is a pretty broad subject too..maybe the info they give you will come up on the MCAT, who knows?

I don't know about you guys, but its the SUMMER, I know this is supposed to be an "intensive enrichment program" but I don't want to be mentally exhausted when I have to return for the FALL semester (where you actually get graded and med schools DO CARE ABOUT GRADES)... once you start having a courseload of mainly science courses, you will see what I mean.

Once again, good luck to all, and if we do get into the same site, we can be fb friends :)

(If there are any typos in this post, bear with me, I just realized how long it is, and don't feel like rereading it..harhar)

Thanks for the info! I called earlier this morning and spoke with the lady from SMDEP, she said as long as your transcripts are postmarked before Feb 1st you'll be considered into the early admittance date and you don't need to worry about the processing days for the transcripts. Just wanted to share that info with others who might be worrying like I was. Good luck to all of you! :D