smdep vs volunteer trip abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parklife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to do both things equally. I think they would both be incredible experiences. To go to Upenn for a week and understand what it is I want to get into would be awesome, but I love traveling and the volunteer week abroad would be just as fun. I'm sure I'll have a great time in both scenarios while meeting some great people and building my app.

This would be sometime in May(next may to be exact).

What do you think looks better on application? In terms of what I want to do...I want to do both! But my schedule just works out so that it's not possible(taking DAT, summer courses, study abroad, research etc. it's just not feasible time wise)

So if you had an applicant with 100% equal numbers, PS, EC, etc, what would impress more? SMDEP or volunteer trip abroad?

help:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i want to do both things equally. I think they would both be incredible experiences. To go to upenn for a week and understand what it is i want to get into would be awesome, but i love traveling and the volunteer week abroad would be just as fun. I'm sure i'll have a great time in both scenarios while meeting some great people and building my app.

This would be sometime in may(next may to be exact).

What do you think looks better on application? In terms of what i want to do...i want to do both! But my schedule just works out so that it's not possible(taking dat, summer courses, study abroad, research etc. It's just not feasible time wise)

so if you had an applicant with 100% equal numbers, ps, ec, etc, what would impress more? Smdep or volunteer trip abroad?

Help:confused:

smdep

I think some schools don't like seeing "volunteer trips" especially if it requires you to "play doctor" or interact with patients abroad. What kind of a trip were you looking at?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some schools don't like seeing "volunteer trips" especially if it requires you to "play doctor" or interact with patients abroad. What kind of a trip were you looking at?

Just that actually. I wanted to go abroad to Thailand or Russia. Some place I haven't been and I likely wouldn't be able to for some time. I actually also want to do some Green Peace hippie junk like setting up solar panels, testing drinking water, planting trees and building houses(again through my school)

This is what I have in mind
http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org/countries/asia/volunteer-thailand.aspx

I would prefer going with my school. I'd like that experience, but if I can't find anything/if it's too expensive then I'll stick to this.

So SMDEP? Well, I'm not URM. So I basically have a few options.

http://dentalschool.umdnj.edu/gateway.htm

(sounds really awesome and is really cheap - not too time consuming either. I could probably do both volunteer trips.)
http://www.unlvadea.org/index_files/simcourse.htm

or the Upenn one, but I can't find the link atm(if anyone has it please post :()