SMP Comparison of Regis and Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ka$hh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Regis University 1 year Masters vs. University of Cincinnati?
I would like to know which program would better increase my changes of getting into medical school. Anyone who has been in either, how are the classes/faculty/student life?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This should be in the post-bacc forum but cincinnati has a highly respected and successful SMP program.

You can see how well their grads have done for yourself.
https://med.uc.edu/msinphysiology/alumni/meet-the-class-of-2015

I've literally never heard of a Regis SMP if it is even an SMP at all

Yea from the website it seems like it is very new http://www.regis.edu/RC/Admissions/...Master-of-Science-in-Biomedical-Sciences.aspx but it's attractive to me due to the small class size...

Yea from the website it seems like it is very new http://www.regis.edu/RC/Admissions/...Master-of-Science-in-Biomedical-Sciences.aspx but it's attractive to me due to the small class size...

I don't know anything about this program, and I couldn't find the curriculum; however, I don't think this is an SMP because...

1. Regis doesn't have an affiliated allopathic or osteopathic medical school.
2. The program accepts GRE, DAT, PCAT or MCAT scores- this would suggest that this is a pre-health profession academic record enhancer post-bac, and not a true SMP.

In good conscious, I wouldn't be able to suggest either program without knowing more about your credentials, though I am currently at UC's SMP and I would be happy to answer any questions about the program that I can.

Reactions: 1 users
If your goal is to try to use a masters program to enhance your credentials for medical school there is no way I could recommend a masters program that is new, has zero track record of getting people into MD programs and doesnt even appear to be an SMP which is what Regis looks like. Cincinnati on the other hand has a track record of getting in a solid majority of their grads into US MD programs for the past decade.

Reactions: 1 user
This should be in the post-bacc forum but cincinnati has a highly respected and successful SMP program.

You can see how well their grads have done for yourself.
https://med.uc.edu/msinphysiology/alumni/meet-the-class-of-2015

I've literally never heard of a Regis SMP if it is even an SMP at all

Please take a CLOSE look at the 'Where next?' section. Of the 30 SMP students listed, 16 appear to have been admitted to medical school. Pretty good, right? Well... Half of those (8 of the 16 admitted) were at UC's own program. But 3 more were at Cal Northstate's for profit medical school -- so not quite a ringing endorsement.

Please take a CLOSE look at the 'Where next?' section. Of the 30 SMP students listed, 16 appear to have been admitted to medical school. Pretty good, right? Well... Half of those (8 of the 16 admitted) were at UC's own program. But 3 more were at Cal Northstate's for profit medical school -- so not quite a ringing endorsement.

You are only looking at 2015. You have to look at 2006-14 to get a full picture.

This was for this past year. Look at the past decade(ie 2006-2014). By and large every class starts out with 32 students since 2010. About 30 graduate. On average about 23-24 end up at US MD schools not named Northstate. On average about 75% of people who enter the program will end up at a US MD program after completing hte program, even if it requires a gap year. In 2013, 30/32 people who started out in the program ended up at a US MD which is a remarkable ratio.

Northstate and last year seemed to be a weird exception to the rule. My guess is since Cincinnati has tons of people in their SMP from California you had a bunch of people who didnt get into Cincy from CA who wanted to stay in CA and didnt want to take a gap year who got suckered into Northstate and just ran there not realizing Northstate and its flaws.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that it is important to keep in mind that, for those that really need an SMP, a semester of grades from any post-bac program likely won't be enough for most medical schools. That is why I think that the 2-year matriculation data is a better representation of the program in my opinion.

I also like the fact that UC is one of the only (if not the only) programs that I researched that lists if and where ALL of its students matriculated. Many programs just list matriculation rates (which may or may not also include acceptances to DO schools, Caribbean schools, dental schools, or other professional schools).

Northstate and last year seemed to be a weird exception to the rule. My guess is since Cincinnati has tons of people in their SMP from California you had a bunch of people who didnt get into Cincy from CA who wanted to stay in CA and didnt want to take a gap year who got suckered into Northstate and just ran there not realizing Northstate and its flaws.
This, and I'd wager that we might start seeing multiple gap years become the norm for SMP grads.

This, and I'd wager that we might start seeing multiple gap years become the norm for SMP grads.

Yeah the famous rule of thumb for Georgetown's SMP of "85% of our grads get into a medical school" is for their graduates within 2 years of finishing the program not 1. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Cincinnati updates their page come the summer that there are another 1-2 people from their 2014 class who find an MD school that takes them. I would be shocked if at least another 5 or so people from last year's class dont find a US MD school.

It's an interesting time for SMPs honestly. Alot of the "linkage" you see in programs like Eastern Virginia, Rosalind and Toledo has gone way down in the span of the past 2-3 years. These programs like Cincinnati, Georgetown and Tufts where the program's strength lies in getting you into A MD school, not necessairly the host, might be the best course of action now days. I do wonder if Cincinnati will cave into pressure like other SMPs like Eastern Virginia and start expanding to make more money but ruin the unofficial linkage rates for their grads.

Ideally you would hope though more programs follow the lead of Temple where there is a minimum 3.4 GPA now days and they actually have set a minimum SAT score of 1400 as well(which is a bit overkill IMO). High linkage and small classes is the dream for all pre-meds. Far too many SMP programs have lowered their standards of admission(Rosalind's BMS average for this year was 3.2/27, they are letting people in with way below average MCAT scores as well).