SMP Did More Harm Than Good....Need Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone,

So I need some advice regarding applying this cycle. I recently finished completing the 1st year of a 2 year special master's program.

My undergraduate cum gpa was a 3.6 & sci gpa was 3.3 and I was told by my undergrad pre med adviser that my science gpa was too low for osteopathic medical schools and it would be in my best interest to take more upper level science courses to improve my science gpa and show medical schools that I can handle upper level science courses.

That being said, I enrolled in a SMP at a medical school. The courses were the same as the 1st year medical school courses such as gross anatomy, histology, molecular bio, pharmacology, neuro, etc, but with not as much clinical emphasis as it would be in medical school.

Out of the all the classes I took this year, I got 1 C & 2 C+'s, with the rest beings B's. I started off with the C's in the beginning of the year, but ended better with upward trend of B's. My gpa as of the 1st year is about 2.6.

What I was wondering is how is the 2.6 graduate gpa going to look on my application? Will this negatively affect me from getting in? I do plan on retaking the courses that I got a C in during the 2nd yr of the program & hoping to get B's or better in them.

With regards to other aspects of my application, my mcat score for the old exam two times was a 20 (7,7,6), which I know is horrible and doesn't look good. I think I did poorly both times because I didn't study the right away and did not do enough practice, & apply what I was learning in content review to the passages. I am planning on retaking the new exam this summer & will put more emphasis on practice/practice tests during my studying.

As for extracurricular, I have a good amount of clinical, & shadowing experience & outside volunteer work - but I feel like none of this will matter if I don't have good grades/MCAT scores.

I am bit loss on what to do now or what to do next, so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! I know that MCAT retake is a definite and as well as retaking my courses. I guess my main concern is damage from the SMP irreversible.

Thank you all for your help!

Don't most grad programs boot you if you can't maintain a 3.0?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't most grad programs boot you if you can't maintain a 3.0?

He'll no, they keep you around, cash your grad plus note, and tell ya you can't graduate.

My undergraduate cum gpa was a 3.6 & sci gpa was 3.3 and I was told by my undergrad pre med adviser that my science gpa was too low for osteopathic medical schools
\

This is really upsetting to me. 3.6/3.3 doesn't even put MD schools out of the question. I can't stand pre-med advisors :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is a old thread but as OP, I wanted to give a update. I found yesterday I Matched and will be finding out Friday where I'll be going! If anyone comes across this thread in a similar situation, just wanted to give support and willing to answer any questions!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 25 users
I know this is a old thread but as OP, I wanted to give a update. I found yesterday I Matched and will be finding out Friday where I'll be going! If anyone comes across this thread in a similar situation, just wanted to give support and willing to answer any questions!
Congratulations

Reactions: 1 user
If you have time to do so, I'm sure others (myself included) would love to hear the cliff notes version of what you did and how you overcame such crazy odds and found yourself where you are today!

Congratulations!

wow, matched from the Caribbean, ballsy but it worked out. What made you choose the islands over podiatry?

congrats!!

If you have time to do so, I'm sure others (myself included) would love to hear the cliff notes version of what you did and how you overcame such crazy odds and found yourself where you are today!

Congratulations!
Ya sure thing.

So after my 1st year year in the SMP, I continued on with the 2nd year. Retook the classes that I did poorly in and retook the MCAT (new one). Did slightly better on the new MCAT but still had a score under a 500. The year I took it, the new MCAT had just been out for the first time so most medical school committees were figuring out what's a good score or not. I applied that year to only DO schools. Got 2 interviews (one being at my SMP and a new school). Got 1 waitlist and 1 rejection. Finished that 2nd year and graduated with a SMP GPA I believe around 3.2.3.3 with the grade replacement (did better on the courses I did bad first time). Decided to take the year off and keep working as a scribe which I had already started during the SMP. Reapplied again only to DO schools but didn't make any improvements to my app which looking back now was prob a mistake and should have retaken the MCAT; problem was I was kinda of mislead by my SMP's admin committee that my MCAT score was reasonable at the time and that I didn't need to retake it. That cycle I only got 1 DO interview and was waitlisted.

After being waitlisted for the 2nd time, I decided that I needed a plan B. So decided to apply to 2 of the top 3 Carib schools and got into both. Decided to accept the one with cheaper tuition. Waited on that waitlist that summer but never heard back and next thing I know I was on the plane to my new med school in the Carib. Got there and within a week of getting there, island got hit by a cat 5 hurricane, essentially destroying the island. Next thing I know I'm being evacuated from my school's island and then within weeks relocating to another med school in another continent to start first semester. Eventually got back to the my school's island following semester, finished basic sciences and did my clinicals in the states.

Stats wise: never failed a class, was pretty average. Passed both my steps the first time with scores in 21X and 24x respectively for 1 & 2. CS got canceled due to Covid. This app cycle applied to a primary care specialty because primary care is what I've always wanted to do even when I was applying to DO schools. Applied broadly and to a lot of programs (close to 200) b/c as IMG you gotta cast a wide net and apply more than a typical US MD or DO. who's also applying a primary care specialty. Received 30+ interviews and matched!

That being said at many times during this entire journey, the universe was giving me signs to quit this path as in 2 natural disasters, one during basic sciences, and one during clinicals lol. But despite this, I was determined to push through b/c I knew I could be successful and completed my goal of finishing at a Carib school within 4 years & not having to take a extra year that some Carib med students end up taking.

Now as for going to a Carib Med School for any premeds reading this thread and considering it: I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL. It's honestly hell for so many reasons. The amount of BS that you gotta deal with from your school's admin and being on the island and hurdles you gotta jump through basic sciences and clinicals is unreal and are things you wouldn't have to deal with if you were a US MD or DO student. As an IMG applicant applying for residency, during the season you gotta essentially be perfect - meaning no failed classes or STEPs, above average step scores in the specialty you're applying in order to have a seat at the table alongside your US MD and DO student counterparts. As a US MD and DO, you can have a failed class or failed step score and still match a primary care specialty even with less applications. But as an IMG, if you have this - your chances of matching decreases significantly even to the point where you can be considered DNR at a program or your app being thrown out from consideration. Unfortunately, this is the sad truth and IMG bias is a real thing, no matter how good you are.

Now that's not to say you can't be successful as a IMG Carib Med student. Hell, a lot of people in my cohort busted their butts and applied to competitive specialties like Rad, Surgery, EM, Anesthesiology (specialties considered competitive for Carib students) and were successful in matching on Monday and will be finding out where tomorrow. Becoming a doctor from a Carib school is doable but it's an exhausting process and you need to have a high level of tolerance and patience, keep your head down and do what you gotta do to make it out successfully. Those who are disciplined and get their **** done in one try are the ones that are successful coming out of the Carib; those who party, don't take it seriously, fail are the ones that struggle and eventually fall to the horrific attrition rates that Carib schools are known for or fail to match and secure a residency spot on first try or multiple tries.

That being said, for any current Carib med students - keep grinding and make it out! If I can get through the BS despite the universe giving me signs telling me quit, then you for sure can and be successful!

Hope this helps for anyone reading this. Sorry if it's long lol.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
wow, matched from the Caribbean, ballsy but it worked out. What made you choose the islands over podiatry?

congrats!!
Lol good question so a few reasons.

1) I was determined in accomplishing my goal of becoming a physician and also really wanted to shut up the haters not only in this thread but in my life as well who didn't think I was capable of doing it.
2) I was realistic in the sense that based on my career goals, I knew I could get the specialty I wanted by going to a Carib school. I never wanted Derm or plastics or Ortho residencies lol and for any premed reading this, if this is your goal - the Carib route is a DEF NO GO FOR THIS (not saying it's not possible b/c occasionally a carib school may have a derm or ortho match but it's very RARE and you will need connections, top 99 percentile in everything to achieve this, which is not a realistic attainable goal for many ppl). It's fun to dream what you want as a specialty but at the same time if you're a Carib med student, you need to be PRACTICAL on what you're applying for based on your Step scores and keeping in mind IMG bias in order to match sucessfully.
3) My parents were really against me doing podiatry lol. In hindsight, I think I would have enjoyed it if I were to go back in time and at the time I did actually have a pod school willing to offer me direct admission right away but I didn't pursue it. Now I did have a classmate in med school who started with me and got academically dismissed the first year b/c of grades. This person ended up applying right away to pod school, got accepted to well known one on the east coast and has been killing it since. Podiatry is actually a really good gig and if any premeds who haven't gotten into med school after multiple cycles, I would highly recommend considering it over going to the Carib. There's a lot you can do in podiatry from outpatient to even surgery.

Lol good question so a few reasons.

1) I was determined in accomplishing my goal of becoming a physician and also really wanted to shut up the haters not only in this thread but in my life as well who didn't think I was capable of doing it.
2) I was realistic in the sense that based on my career goals, I knew I could get the specialty I wanted by going to a Carib school. I never wanted Derm or plastics or Ortho residencies lol and for any premed reading this, if this is your goal - the Carib route is a DEF NO GO FOR THIS (not saying it's not possible b/c occasionally a carib school may have a derm or ortho match but it's very RARE and you will need connections, top 99 percentile in everything to achieve this, which is not a realistic attainable goal for many ppl). It's fun to dream what you want as a specialty but at the same time if you're a Carib med student, you need to be PRACTICAL on what you're applying for based on your Step scores and keeping in mind IMG bias in order to match sucessfully.
3) My parents were really against me doing podiatry lol. In hindsight, I think I would have enjoyed it if I were to go back in time and at the time I did actually have a pod school willing to offer me direct admission right away but I didn't pursue it. Now I did have a classmate in med school who started with me and got academically dismissed the first year b/c of grades. This person ended up applying right away to pod school, got accepted to well known one on the east coast and has been killing it since. Podiatry is actually a really good gig and if any premeds who haven't gotten into med school after multiple cycles, I would highly recommend considering it over going to the Carib. There's a lot you can do in podiatry from outpatient to even surgery.

First of all many many congratulations!!! I'm so proud of you. I'm sure you are inspiring so many pre-meds here. Where did you match and where are you end up going? New are waiting here...lol

First of all many many congratulations!!! I'm so proud of you. I'm sure you are inspiring so many pre-meds here. Where did you match and where are you end up going? New are waiting here...lol
Thank you! For confidentiality sake, I don't want to post on here where I matched.