This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I do a SMP, DIY Post-bacc or just apply DO?

• DO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SMP

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • DIY Post-bac

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

Liz7a

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Below 3.5 GPA studying for the MCAT and taking more classes to boost my GPA.

-Volunteered at a disability facility
-Volunteered at a clinic
-Research
-Shadowing

PLEASE, I need help!!!!

Thank you to everyone that replies have a good New Year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most DO schools pre-screen applications at the 3.0 mark for both c/sGPA, therefore the best bang for your buck would be a DIY post-bacc to raise that sGPA.

As for the MCAT, only sit for it when you are consistently scoring around your target range, which would be 505 for most DO schools or 508+ for all DO schools.

I am URM (AA) and I graduated with a B.S. in Biology and a 3.075 GPA (I believe my SGPA is lower than this maybe 2.9). I am currently in the process of studying for the MCAT and taking more classes to boost my GPA. I took a stats class in the summer received an A. For Spring 2019 I am planning on taking anatomy and physiology 1 w/ lab (planning to get an A) I wish to apply for medical school in 2019/2020. A list of some activities I I have been involved in are:

-Volunteering at a non-profit disability facility for 2 yrs
-Volunteering at a free clinic
-Research (1 semester)
-Shadowing
-Worked as an operations manager for universities Student Union
-Currently working as a stats tutor
-A former member of AMSA (also volunteered in events that were held, feeding homeless, hospice, etc)
-Note-taker for the disabled

I would like to know what I need to improve on or what my application is lacking. I know that my GPA is below the average and I am working to improve it. Should I do more clinical volunteering or research?

I would like to apply next cycle to mainly all DO schools (maybe 1 or 2 MD schools HBCU) I am wondering if I should just wait and apply in 2020 vs 2019 and focus on either doing a DIY post-bac or SMP. Also, I live in the state of Florida and am considering either FAU or Barry Biomedical masters program leaning more toward FAU for $$ reasons (Haven't really heard much about these master programs not sure how they are).

PLEASE, I need help!!!! should I just do a SMP/DIY post-bac at FAU/BARRY or should I apply to DO schools and continue with the DIY post-bac to help my chances I am so lost right now.

Thank you to everyone that replies have a good New Year.
Read this, as you need to be able to Adcoms (and yourself) that you can handle med school:

Members don't see this ad :)
Most DO schools pre-screen applications at the 3.0 mark for both c/sGPA, therefore the best bang for your buck would be a DIY post-bacc to raise that sGPA.

As for the MCAT, only sit for it when you are consistently scoring around your target range, which would be 505 for most DO schools or 508+ for all DO schools.

Thank You so much for your advice I truly appreciate it.