This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

day2day

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster long term lurker here! Hope anyone who sees this is doing well and safely hiding out in quarantine.
I applied last cycle unsuccessfully (cGPA3.56, sGPA3.3, MCAT 511 with decent volunteering, ECs, and full time work in clinical research) to allopathic schools with 0 interviews and am not applying for this current cycle 2020-2021. I'm planning on doing an SMP this year before I apply for 2021-2022 cycle, and I've applied and been accepted to two programs, Georgetown SMP and Boston U MS in Medical Science with scholarship. I live less than 3 hours away from Boston U and it seems to have positive reviews from alumni, but Georgetown is also a very established program. Can any alumni provide words about their experience with their respective programs? Or anyone else who has experience/an opinion with SMP's

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine for DO right now. Do you really want to lose another year in clinician salary?

If so, go with the the SMP that's cheaper, is shorter, and has the best linkage deal.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
You're fine for DO right now. Do you really want to lose another year in clinician salary?

If so, go with the the SMP that's cheaper, is shorter, and has the best linkage deal.
Thank you for your reply Goro! Your input is definitely an appropriate curveball that I've agonized over the last several months. I initially contemplated applying DO this cycle but paused from doing so for one main reason: fear of not being accepted DO and simultaneously wasting a cycle without remedying academic portions that would have otherwise helped. I considered perhaps simultaneous DIY post-bacc with DO application but assumed not much impact could be made at this point after 147 undergraduate credits. I also considered both applying DO and doing the SMP together but figured the SMP wouldn't be as useful until after the program's conclusion, so might as well apply both MD/DO in the next cycle. I would love to hear further input or rebuttal from your years of informative experience!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply Goro! Your input is definitely an appropriate curveball that I've agonized over the last several months. I initially contemplated applying DO this cycle but paused from doing so for one main reason: fear of not being accepted DO and simultaneously wasting a cycle without remedying academic portions that would have otherwise helped. I considered perhaps simultaneous DIY post-bacc with DO application but assumed not much impact could be made at this point after 147 undergraduate credits. I also considered both applying DO and doing the SMP together but figured the SMP wouldn't be as useful until after the program's conclusion, so might as well apply both MD/DO in the next cycle. I would love to hear further input or rebuttal from your years of informative experience!!
Your stats would get you an II from my school and many others. Maybe not in Sept/Oct, but in the cycle. If you can get a DO LOR,, that will make things even more easier.
I've had students in our SMP get DO interviews halfway through the SMP. MD IIs? A few, including one at a U MI/U VA class state school.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats would get you an II from my school and many others. Maybe not in Sept/Oct, but in the cycle. If you can get a DO LOR,, that will make things even more easier.
I've had students in our SMP get DO interviews halfway through the SMP. MD IIs? A few, including one at a U MI/U VA class state school.
That is reassuring to hear. I have an LOR from a DO I shadowed 2-3 years ago, though the hours of shadowing were not extensive. Is this old LOR still worth including in an application?

I most definitely wouldn't waste 70-80k on a program if I had your stats. I would try to make it work with postbacc/ DO. Save a bunch of money and enjoy the next year of your life rather than studying your butt off for something that could potentially harm your application if you don't excel.