SMW, please read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amonkeybutt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've been reading some other post and noticed something that you and I share together which is our not-too-stellar score on the writing portion of the MCAT. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it but I was totally shocked by my score on the writing since I thought that was my best section coming out of the testing center that day. Anyhow, I just wanted to know if you had any thoughts on that since I've been pondering that for months now and even had them rescore my writing samples. Also, I noticed you are also applying to OHSU, so good luck to us! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I was totally flabbergasted by my writing score, especially as I got a 12 on verbal, and people always say my essays are great! I thought about having it rescored, but never pursued it. What happened when yours was rescored? OHSU is not my first choice, but it's up there as I have family in Portland and Corvallis. I'm thinking of writing them a letter to that effect (leaving out the not my first choice part), as I was just looking over the secondary and realized that they never asked anything about ties to the state.

it was the same score after i had it rescored except my pocketbook is lighter. so i wouldn't bother if i were you because i think the system is pretty consistent. didn't you write something in the optional essay section on their secondaries (i think it was something like "anything else you would like to share with us"?). if you didn't, that may not be a bad idea if you are not an in-state resident. let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did write something for the optional essay -- actually just sent them my essay for Case (who rejected me :( ) about fishing, which I thought might go over well in Oregon. But I totally spaced out that they might like to know about my ties to the state. :rolleyes:

funny that you think fishing will go well in Oregon, you're probably right though since about every single physician i have shadowed in Oregon absolutely LOVE FISHING, flying fishing is actually their favorite ;) if i were you, i think i may write something about your ties even though they do have a pretty good acceptace rate for out-of-staters (i think 30% or so). by the way, i am writing a secondary essay for Case (been procrastinating for weeks and weeks) and i was thinking about writing about fishing too (might as well be honest right?).

What would be a bad score for writing?? N?

M was the most common score for the writing section of the April 2001 MCAT. M is in the 14.1-32.3 percentile rank for that test. Almost 20% of the testtakers scored M.

Glad to hear I was in good company! ;)

hey monkeybutt...don't take this the wrong way, but you totally made me crack up. It's fly fishing, not flying fishing...I'm just picturing fishing from a plane... :D

Well, people hunt wolves from planes up here, but fishing.........? I don't think so! (Please, don't shoot the messenger on this one! ;) ) Then again, there are so many salmon in the rivers at times up here, and so many people fly in small planes to "the bush" to fish, that maybe they do spot fish from the air. And, of course, there are "flying fish" (but not up here). Hmmmm....all this waiting is making me crack up! :D

okay Mr. Darwin (perhaps it's Ms.?), i'm sorry i don't proofread every single one of my posts, can you forgive a girl who is obsessively checking this forum during work and has to sneak peaks at it between analyzing data until her eyeballs are gonna pop out! :D