so..my toenail is falling off.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halekulani

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the best way to ensure that it regrows properly? i lifted up the nail and saw that a new nail is growing underneath, but not covering the full nailbed.

i'm not really sure on how to go about taking care of my toe other than trimming frequently. i've read that pulling off the nail is not a good idea. a part of the nail is still stuck to the nailbed. i'm also worried about infection. i go to the gym and tape up my toe before playing basketball (also the way i injured it). is that ok? i'd really like to continue being able to run at least...

i also had no idea where to post this but this seemed like the right place.

Members don't see this ad.

halekulani said:
what's the best way to ensure that it regrows properly? i lifted up the nail and saw that a new nail is growing underneath, but not covering the full nailbed.

i'm not really sure on how to go about taking care of my toe other than trimming frequently. i've read that pulling off the nail is not a good idea. a part of the nail is still stuck to the nailbed. i'm also worried about infection. i go to the gym and tape up my toe before playing basketball (also the way i injured it). is that ok? i'd really like to continue being able to run at least...

i also had no idea where to post this but this seemed like the right place.

I think they regrow properly naturally. I've had my big toe nail torn off half-way twice (once because some idiot biked into me) and each time it came back normally. Since the exposed skin became tough enough I just cut away the dead part. I think if you leave it hanging you risk snagging it on something and causing more damage. Put a bandage around it and maybe you shouldn't do anything that makes your feet sweaty.

I also had a nail come off and when I trimmed the broken part and bandaged it it healed fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.