So what are you guys gonna do over the summer before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineeredout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guess this really applies to the people that are gonna enter c/o 2013. I was wondering what I'm gonna do over the summer.

Ideally I'd like to find some nonstressful job to make some extra money while I have the chance, but I don't know what to go get, especially since I could only be working as little as two months after graduation. In theory I could keep my current 10$/hour job but I hate it and 10$/hour doesn't really get you much. Its difficult to find a job that isn't going to be REALLY pissed off at you for leaving in short order.

I've had some people recommend taking a course like biochem/microbio, but it seems like the majority consensus from med students is that its not beneficial to do so the summer before med school.

What are you guys thinking?

Members don't see this ad.

Guess this really applies to the people that are gonna enter c/o 2013. I was wondering what I'm gonna do over the summer.

Ideally I'd like to find some nonstressful job to make some extra money while I have the chance, but I don't know what to go get, especially since I could only be working as little as two months after graduation. In theory I could keep my current 10$/hour job but I hate it and 10$/hour doesn't really get you much. Its difficult to find a job that isn't going to be REALLY pissed off at you for leaving in short order.

I've had some people recommend taking a course like biochem/microbio, but it seems like the majority consensus from med students is that its not beneficial to do so the summer before med school.

What are you guys thinking?

My personal recommendation would be

1) Make sure it has nothing to do with medicine.
2) Keep it super relaxed.

The job thing is a good idea because you will be strapped for cash for the next four years minimum. A dream trip would be to take that dream trip you always wanted but never could because you were in summer school, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Work a full time job for two months, quit without notice, and travel.

Indeed. Especially for my future employer, who I intend to suck money from like a leech.

Leeches are too subtle and creepy - pirates have to be bold and likeable - the quitting without notice is a good, bold thing to do, but slowly sucking money like a leech? It has to be big - steal it all from the cash drawer! Then swashbuckle your way out - you could make your big exit even more dramatic and pirate-like by running somebody through on your way out! And laugh a lot, and get lots of wenches along the way.

work to make some mula... other than that im gonna try to go to Puerto Rico!

Get married and go to Nicaragua! And work of course because the economy forces us all to!!

definitely travel of some sort...im planning on quitting my job sometime early in the summer so i have time for vacation, moving and settling into my new home....wherever that is.

Travel, and record a CD that will suddenly take off just a month before school starts thereby forcing me to make the incredibly easy career choice between rock star and physician. :rolleyes:

definitely going to be doing the work thing as rent won't pay itself.
i also plan to do something i haven't done before some possibilities:
1.) run a race (5k, 10k, half-marathon, possibly triathlon) I have run all these distances before but never competitively, I will have eight months to train so not really enough time for a marathon but anything else is fair game.
2.) get into backpacking. i have done the whole 'here is a trail to the top of a mountain' type of hiking but i would like to try my hand at a two or three night hike.
3.) something else physical, any ideas?

I plan on seeing how much I can make in bottle returns after I am finished drinking lots of beer.

Members don't see this ad :)
plan to quit my job in may, use june and july to travel all over europe, starting from israel and heading west, back to NY, be back by august so i can get ready for school.

Going to quit my job at end of June and travel for about a month. Visit HK, Korea, Japan. Then relax for a week before starting school. Can't wait!

Serious question: How soon can I tap those student loans? I need money to party *cough* I mean for cost of living allowances *cough*

Serious question: How soon can I tap those student loans? I need money to party *cough* I mean for cost of living allowances *cough*

haha! oh the things we could buy with student loans....

spinner-bling-watch.gif

platinum spinner watch, diamond encrusted. A must have.

edit: this could be a whole new thread topic :laugh:

I left my job a while back...So I just plan on traveling as much as I can beginning early next year.:thumbup:

I graduated a year before I started med school and worked up until 2 weeks before class.

You know what the funny thing is? Even though med school can sometimes seem ridiculously demanding and I find myself devoting like ~12 hours a day to it I am WAAAYYY more happy doing this than I was working that stupid 8-5 job and wishing I was doing something else.

My point is this: If you end up having to work don't be too sad. Time flies and it will all be worth it.

And for those of you who get to take time off to do something fun.... Enjoy it and get it all out of your system because life is about to get a lot harder (but more satisfying).

1.) run a race (5k, 10k, half-marathon, possibly triathlon) I have run all these distances before but never competitively, I will have eight months to train so not really enough time for a marathon but anything else is fair game.
2.) get into backpacking. i have done the whole 'here is a trail to the top of a mountain' type of hiking but i would like to try my hand at a two or three night hike.
You sound a lot like me, I am a runner, backpacker etc. If you are, try climbing. It is a lot of fun. Be safe though!

That sounds cool. Like you I've run all those distances before though not competitively. The problem is that the hotter it gets out the less I'm going to want to run long distances outside. I love running outside when its cold though.

I am looking for something really fun and wild, I have always wanted to backpack around Europe but I am not sure where I am going to get the funds for that especially after forking over the $2,000 deposit.

Any other suggestions for fun stuff I can do?

Oh yeah I may throw in a little bit of working this summer, but mainly relaxing so I will be completely ready for the work load come August!

I highly suggest learning how to rock climb, its mentally and physically challenging and a little bit of an adrenaline rush when you reach the top. I love it! Especially, in the summer, when you can find some really cool places to climb outside!

working for an organization that helps clean up neighborhoods in detroit
i'm not in school now either, doing a research job in detroit til the summer
i'll take a month off in there somewhere to go to europe/india

many first years will tell you:

1. ENJOY YOURSELF
2. DONT DO ANYTHING MEDICAL RELATED.

Hopefully traveling!

I graduate in May, and then off to Europe!

And if not that, I might pick up some MCAT classes. But only if they give me a raise. ;)

Working in a Drosophila lab in Boston for one last summer before heading off to AZCOM

Hopefully some beach days and weekend trips as well!

Working out a lot, sailing, fishing, drums/guitar, maybe do a roadtrip around to various national parks. I've see most of europe and I can't afford to head to new zealand or anything if I want to get my new guitars, so I figure seeing my own country is reasonable.

Working out a lot, sailing, fishing, drums/guitar, maybe do a roadtrip around to various national parks. I've see most of europe and I can't afford to head to new zealand or anything if I want to get my new guitars, so I figure seeing my own country is reasonable.
How much did Europe cost you? I plan on going in early April.

How much did Europe cost you? I plan on going in early April.

Which time? I've been more than 6. ;) The exchange rate and circumstances will change it. My last trip over was my second study abroad. I paid for the flight over with air miles. I could get to major cities all over for less than 50 euro easily. During my traveling and study abroad the year before I would work at hostels and get my night waived and sometimes free beer and a dinner if I was lucky. I stayed in Antwerp for a week and spent about 20 dollars total, but I did like 2 hours of plumbing,cooking, and making beds a day. I got paid much more than that with just the beer the guy gave me though.

My record personal record was 200 dollars for a month. I had a eurorail pass but stuck to regional trains where they never check and then talked a guy out of stamping it once because I said I was getting off at some random village. I befriended friendly people that'd pay me for odd jobs and I usually cooked at hostels or my friend's gma's place. The regional trains take longer but they are kind of fun. So, 200 dollars for housing, food, travel, drinking, and postcards in a month. I would forcast more than that though. ;)

It also helped when I stuck to the Germanic language countries since I could hack my way through with them if they spoke dutch/flemish and communicate pretty freely with emphasis on a sad american accent in german.

Which time? I've been more than 6. ;) The exchange rate and circumstances will change it. My last trip over was my second study abroad. I paid for the flight over with air miles. I could get to major cities all over for less than 50 euro easily. During my traveling and study abroad the year before I would work at hostels and get my night waived and sometimes free beer and a dinner if I was lucky. I stayed in Antwerp for a week and spent about 20 dollars total, but I did like 2 hours of plumbing,cooking, and making beds a day. I got paid much more than that with just the beer the guy gave me though.

My record personal record was 200 dollars for a month. I had a eurorail pass but stuck to regional trains where they never check and then talked a guy out of stamping it once because I said I was getting off at some random village. I befriended friendly people that'd pay me for odd jobs and I usually cooked at hostels or my friend's gma's place. The regional trains take longer but they are kind of fun. So, 200 dollars for housing, food, travel, drinking, and postcards in a month. I would forcast more than that though. ;)

It also helped when I stuck to the Germanic language countries since I could hack my way through with them if they spoke dutch/flemish and communicate pretty freely with emphasis on a sad american accent in german.

Unless you are working at a hostel or sleeping with the manager, most people will spend around $250 a week, at least, in most parts in Europe, and certainly more than that if you're in Sweden or England. You will want to have fun at nigh clubs, etc, and that costs a lot. VAT is around 20% plus sin tax so if you're like me and like drinking, expect to pay triple what you do in the US.

For cheap place to stay in Berlin or London, check out the Generator hostels, around $16 a night if you don't mind sharing a room with 7 other people, most of whom are homeless. It's more to share a smaller room as in all hostels, but those people are less likely to be annoying.

Travel is best by EURail. Tickets are here. A flexible pass is $275 and you just hop on and off when you want. The best deal, hands down.

Just my two cents!

i spent close to $3000 when i went to France this past summer for like 11 days (but that's including plane and a hotel).. europe is expensive esp with the exchange rate.