This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abuf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not get in this cycle, and am waiting until 2017 to reapply, to give myself an entire year to beef up my resume. What are some things to look into? Sort of even questioning my goals at the moment - really just questioning life in general so I don't know what route to take for the next year. Will be able to meet with admissions committees to see where my application can be improved, but ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on your personal application and what your weak areas are. If it's GPA, you can look into retaking classes, same for a low GRE - prepare for and retake the exam. And of course if you are weak in experiences in general or in specific areas, look into beefing up that experience. You can post your stats over in the What Are My Chances thread for more specific recommendations as far as objective stuff like that goes. There are also a lot of subjective things though. Did you get strong, positive eLORs? If not, or if you're not sure, maybe try cultivating relationships with people you could call on for those recommendations. Work on your interview skills, have people read your personal statement, etc etc. Really look at your school choices and make sure your application is a good fit for what they are looking for.

Did you have a file review yet? Take the feedback from that to plan your gap year. Best of luck!

File reviews are tremendously helpful for figuring out your next step.

I took an unanticipated gap year (haha) and started doing research. My gap year turned into 2 years because I love research and I wanted to try to finish out some projects I was working on, so I had that additional block of time off, but had papers to show for it. I retook a few classes too, and the second time I applied to school, I got in for the dual DVM/PhD program at my top choice. Happy to talk via PM if you need any pep talks/have questions!

Reactions: 1 user