So why is CVS system so inefficient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm at this stage of sleep cycle where its almost lapped itself and I can't sleep.

So I'm at this pharmacy today. 24 hr store. They do 7-7 there. Which seems weird to me, but whatever. As you all know, I'm a night person. I had to drag my ass out of bed at 5:30AM...get on the road by 6AM...to get there by 7AM. I was starting to go at about 1PM. Yawning uncontrollably by 3PM. By 5PM, I was in a state of delirium. At one point, all the techs are busy and I hear "Lane One." So I lumber over. There there I am...probably a very disheveled looking expression...slide open the door...I look at the woman in the car and I actually say to her, while she's sitting in the drive thru..."Thanks for calling CVS, we have flu shots available, this is the pharmacist speaking how can I help you?" Gave her the entire phone answering spiel. Awkward.

While we're complaining in this thread...can we change the damned voice some day? Having to hear that thing say "One pharmacy call" or "Lane One" over and over and over and over makes us all want to rip the god damned phone out of the wall and chuck it out the drive through.

I'm going to write a short story where I kidnap the upper management of CVS and lock them in a room. And they have to listen to that voice say "1 pharmacy call." over and over again.

I wonder if Merlo's phone says "1 CEO call" when it rings.

I wonder who's voice that is. Is it completely synth? Is there an actual guy whose voice sounds that ridiculous? I have a mental image of him. I always picture this short little dude...like 5'2"...really skinny...wearing a wizard outfit...hat and all...sitting in the corner of a CVS at a podium...announcing every call and drive-up as it happens.

I need sleep.

One of my crazy patients claimed to be the guy who voices the phone "one pharmacy call" guy. As he was picking up his psych meds he told me about how cvs flew him to LA and put him up and had him record all the numbers in a recording studio.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
One of my crazy patients claimed to be the guy who voices the phone "one pharmacy call" guy. As he was picking up his psych meds he told me about how cvs flew him to LA and put him up and had him record all the numbers in a recording studio.

I had a patient claim to be the person who composed CVS hold music. He claimed they never paid him so he would have to sue. Nice guy though never complained about the wait time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

^ This is so typical of CVS. First, they didn't pay the "one pharmacy call" guy. Now they are not paying the "hold music" guy. What is next? Not paying the "thank you for calling CVS Pharmacy" guy?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah brings back nostalgia from when I was an intern and they made me get all the transfers from CVS.
I was on hold for 122 minutes to request a transfer 4 days ago. I didn't track the time it took between talking to the first human and the actual pharmacist, though. Probably a nice 140 minutes of this lovely piano.

2 hours of waiting on hold? Unbelievable!
I also know of a 24/7 store that day shift is 7am-8pm. They usually split the shift though with a couple hours overlap except for one day of the week it's one rph 7am-8pm. I would always walk into a mess on that night.

2 hours of waiting on hold? Unbelievable!
I also know of a 24/7 store that day shift is 7am-8pm. They usually split the shift though with a couple hours overlap except for one day of the week it's one rph 7am-8pm. I would always walk into a mess on that night.
They just did two acquisitions in one week. It's a G D mess.

CVS is useless, they don't care about the employees nor the patients/customers....They are one of the worst places to work for...disgruntled employees don't care leading to crappy performance on top of outdated systems/technology
....and understaffing as well..

I was on hold for 122 minutes to request a transfer 4 days ago. I didn't track the time it took between talking to the first human and the actual pharmacist, though. Probably a nice 140 minutes of this lovely piano.

Why would you stay on hold for that long? It's obvious the store is busy. Call back. If I'm on hold at any store for more than 5 minutes, I would call back. I would assume the RPH on duty is extremely busy.

Why would you stay on hold for that long? It's obvious the store is busy. Call back. If I'm on hold at any store for more than 5 minutes, I would call back. I would assume the RPH on duty is extremely busy.
I don't think the patient wanted to wait the 2 months it will be before the phone answer times get shorter.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wowwwwwwwww. My record is only 30 minutes before I hung up and tried the doctor line. Then the girl that answered started crying on the phone

How about when the rxconnect is completely down for 1 day where you can't even login. And then on satellite backup for another 1.5 days due to a Verizon issue. I've never been yelled at by more customers in my life. May not be cvs's fault but just a nightmare.

The one thing that bothers me is now that you have to type in your credentials when entering a patient's profile, I feel so suffocated in terms of doing my job. I also hate how you have to check a prescription before it goes on hold, because that adds to the pharmacist's workflow and isn't necessary. I don't mind CVS's system, there are some flaws with it but I also did a rotation at Walgreens and HATED their system. I couldn't figure it out and it was very indirect as to how to get to certain screens. It was awkward.

Lol. Help desk?
I just spent an hour pulling meds for a STS redeploy. At the last step it said "invalid UPS address. Tray one will be purged"
I called the helpless desk. They didn't know what to do and said they will call me back in a few days....

Seeting this thread helped me remember how ludicrous it is for a large pharmacy chain to be reliant on ****ing satellite Internet as a backup and even have something absurd as offline mode (man I loved those days you could fill only 200 Rx and be 500 Rx behind in just one day's work because of a freakin slow connection)

I almost forgot we used to be able to open a profile without scanning our credentials. Why don't they just record which computer accessed the profile and at what time? Then if there is an issue they can check the camera for that time and computer and I don't have to scan my credentials an extra 100 times a day.

There is no good reason why a hard-copy image can't be transferred with a script either.

Also, if I was in charge of the company I would put barcodes on all the Caremark cards so we can just scan the insurance card rather than entering all the info, lol. And don't make the pharmacist re-verify rebills.

Last edited:
I almost forgot we used to be able to open a profile without scanning our credentials. Why don't they just record which computer accessed the profile and at what time? Then if there is an issue they can check the camera for that time and computer and I don't have to scan my credentials an extra 100 times a day.

There is no good reason why a hard-copy image can't be transferred with a script either.

Also, if I was in charge of the company I would put barcodes on all the Caremark cards so we can just scan the insurance card rather than entering all the info, lol. And don't make the pharmacist re-verify rebills.
Used to be you could type "V" to see the hardcopy image of a transfer from another CVS. They just don't teach it during training so very few people know. And it only worked for the first fill after that the image was lost. Still if you want to check the hard copy on the First fill of a transfer from another CVS try that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah, but you'd be surprised how many mistakes I've found upon doing rebills...#1 has to go to unbagging some birth control which was suppose to be multivitamins for a child with the father being the prescribing physician (yes, wtf indeed).

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, but you'd be surprised how many mistakes I've found upon doing rebills...#1 has to go to unbagging some birth control which was suppose to be multivitamins for a child with the father being the prescribing physician (yes, wtf indeed).

Holy **** I'm glad you caught that. I've never seen a pharmacist unbag a rebill to check it.

After trying to call to have one of my own meds refilled from a prescription that is on-hold on my profile - and being on hold for 30 minutes as I type this - it makes me wonder why they can't let customers fill on-hold prescriptions from their profile online..

so many drop images. Anyone call help desk>?
if it's an e-rx dropped image, it could be that someone typed it at another terminal and didn't hit enter after entering their credential. You can locate that terminal if it's recent, hit enter, and wait a few seconds and the image should reload at QV. If you wait too long after it's typed though, it doesn't work.

If the image doesn't load with the previous scenario, what you can do is go to M2 --> 4 (prescriptions) --> 1 ---> prescription detail(s)? --> 4 view electronic activity. You can print screen that and use it as your e-rx hardcopy since it is the same info as the e-rx. Notice though, that the RF # may not match. Sometimes it's 1 more than the generated rx, so you may see Refill: 5 (1+4rf?) whereas the verifying rx it self will say 4 rf.

Reactions: 1 user
The one thing that bothers me is now that you have to type in your credentials when entering a patient's profile, I feel so suffocated in terms of doing my job. I also hate how you have to check a prescription before it goes on hold, because that adds to the pharmacist's workflow and isn't necessary. I don't mind CVS's system, there are some flaws with it but I also did a rotation at Walgreens and HATED their system. I couldn't figure it out and it was very indirect as to how to get to certain screens. It was awkward.

I think the reason for the credential to enter a pt's info is to avoid non-cvs personnel who may otherwise have access to the computers and risk HIPAA violations. Some CVS locations do not lock up their drop off section of the pharmacy. I have techs who hop the counters and work on QT while they wait for the pharmacist to open in some locations.

There's a reason behind everything!

After trying to call to have one of my own meds refilled from a prescription that is on-hold on my profile - and being on hold for 30 minutes as I type this - it makes me wonder why they can't let customers fill on-hold prescriptions from their profile online..

They probably will now that you have to verify on-holds.