So you've been accepted... Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CynicKitten

CSU c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apologies for the cheesy book-title-esque name of this thread.

As I am still running on the high of getting accepted, I wanted to start a thread for all of the experienced veterinarians and vet students to chime in what we should be doing after getting accepted. What will help us be successful, and just be prepared in general? What are some things that just have to get done (finding an apartment, looking for books, etc)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But seriously, don't do anything. Relax. Go travel. Develop an exercise routine. Learn to cook. Absolutely nothing studying related.
So relieved to hear advice like this because those are exactly the types of things I was planning on doing !! :biglove:
 
tumblr_n7y3mnIF051qenp1zo1_400.gif
 
I second the learn to cook! Ask for a crockpot for christmas if you don't already have one and learn a few good recipes. This is fun now, but will be so helpful later on so that you don't have to live off of frozen dinners.
 
While I agree that we should all relax... I just graduated! I have lots of time for relaxation. I'm thinking more along the lines of practical things to get done. 🙂
 
While I agree that we should all relax... I just graduated! I have lots of time for relaxation. I'm thinking more along the lines of practical things to get done. 🙂
Find housing, figure out a budget, fill out your FAFSA. Determine if you're bringing any animals with you and budget for emergencies. Find out if there are any dress codes that you may need to shop for (scrub wise and professional attire wise).
 
While I agree that we should all relax... I just graduated! I have lots of time for relaxation. I'm thinking more along the lines of practical things to get done. 🙂

It's all the same practical things if you were moving anywhere else or to away from college. Find an apartment. Make sure you have the right clothes if you're changing climates. Figure out how you'll get back and forth to school if you're living further than walking distance.

Automate your life to the degree it is possible.... autopay for bills is a good thing.

Wait to hear from your school - they will send you a list of school-related things you need to do, like purchase scrubs (or not), overalls (or not), etc.

The very best approach is to just chill and enjoy life and do fun things while you can and wait to hear from the school and then follow their lead.
 
I'm in planning mode but I've been busting my ass for 5 years to get to this point and now that ive been accepted I literally don't even want to move off of my couch. Just sit here with a bottle of wine and watch mindless reality TV until fall of 2016. 😎
 
I'm in planning mode but I've been busting my ass for 5 years to get to this point and now that ive been accepted I literally don't even want to move off of my couch. Just sit here with a bottle of wine and watch mindless reality TV until fall of 2016. 😎
Hahahah I agree good for you! I didn't even have my summer break between semesters so I'm just trying to relax as much as possible which basically means me lying in bed most of the day :claps:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with what dyachei suggested. Yes, definitely relax as others have said, but at my school at least, you'd really be ahead of the game if you could start looking for housing now, versus 5 months from now when it's a lot tougher to find. And the dress code research suggestion was also very smart. For example, does your school allow sweatpants/flip-flops? (Mine doesn't.) Remember that if you wait to shop for "school clothes" till when you leave, most of what the stores have will be summer-attire, and (depending on where you go to school) you may need more cold-weather clothes that you could easily find now.
 
You're right, my knees suck too so I'm a swimmer instead! But in all reality, I'm using this time to do lots of taste testing to figure out what kind of alcohol I like... Grown-ups drink alcohol, right?? 😉
Ha! This one drinks way too much and likes damn near everything, but I actually know quite a few folk who don't. I wouldn't push it if it simply doesn't suit you. (I know, serious reply to a lighthearted post.) But I care, I care a lot! :playful:
 
Ha! This one drinks way too much and likes damn near everything, but I actually know quite a few folk who don't. I wouldn't push it if it simply doesn't suit you. (I know, serious reply to a lighthearted post.) But I care, I care a lot! :playful:

I never drank before this summer, but I took a 2 week field class in the middle of nowhere and my classmates ruined me :laugh: now I drink some but I don't really like the alcohol itself... Except rum. Coconut rum. Spiced rum. Regular rum. It's friken delicious. I'm a regular Jack Sparrow in the rum department 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never drank before this summer, but I took a 2 week field class in the middle of nowhere and my classmates ruined me :laugh: now I drink some but I don't really like the alcohol itself... Except rum. Coconut rum. Spiced rum. Regular rum. It's friken delicious. I'm a regular Jack Sparrow in the rum department 😛
Ha! Rum is really the only thing I don't like, but I don't like things that are sweet. My first LEGAL drink was at Disneyland. Good times.
 
Ha! Rum is really the only thing I don't like, but I don't like things that are sweet. My first LEGAL drink was at Disneyland. Good times.

That's too funny! The sweeter and fruitier (hehe) the better for me. Anything that masks the alcoholy taste! It's really sad actually. I may need to refine my palate a little. Lol
 
Corky would come outta nowhere and take you out before you cross the finish line while W2vm runs over you and breaks the tape.

Not if my little corgi could trip him before he got to me!! (She's a master tripper)
 
If I get into vet school (hopefully really soon 😛), my game plan is to find a second job, pay off my credit cards, and save money for living costs for when I'm in vet school.
 
Can we have a dance party on a boat with flipflops and dolphins? I can rig w2vm's hot rod up with some floaties just in case things get wild and he ends up rolling off the edge in a blurred frenzy. 😉

Just sayin... sounds like a nice way to spend the free time before starting vet school :horns:
I have seen flip flops be the end of a person though. Seriously, a lady went down hard coming down a small set of steps and busted out a tooth and broke her arm after the front edge caught on a step...
 
I never drank before this summer, but I took a 2 week field class in the middle of nowhere and my classmates ruined me :laugh: now I drink some but I don't really like the alcohol itself... Except rum. Coconut rum. Spiced rum. Regular rum. It's friken delicious. I'm a regular Jack Sparrow in the rum department 😛
Of the types of alcohol I've tried (wine, rum, tequila) none really appealed...just can't seem to get past the taste of the alcohol. I took a sip of my bf's rum and coke last night...still gross.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have seen flip flops be the end of a person though. Seriously, a lady went down hard coming down a small set of steps and busted out a tooth and broke her arm after the front edge caught on a step...
Everyone lives life on the edge in their own special way... It was obviously flip flops for that lady and she paid the price for living on the wild side. Fortunately I still have my teeth, but I've definitely had quite a few mishaps over the years due to those damned trip hazards. :whistle:

On the plus side for w2vm, I don't think flip flops would hinder said partying adventures, unless of course the pup gets ahold of a pair, then we might have something more on our hands than just a simple dance party on a boat...
lab-in-flip-flops.jpg
Maybe? :claps:
 
Can we have a dance party on a boat with flipflops and dolphins? I can rig w2vm's hot rod up with some floaties just in case things get wild and he ends up rolling off the edge in a blurred frenzy. 😉

Just sayin... sounds like a nice way to spend the free time before starting vet school :horns:

Wasn't planning on going overboard, but I have no choice but to field-test your military floatie rigging skills.