SOAP 2014 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which field are you trying to SOAP into?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Family medicine
1 offer
Accepted

Did not show up until after 11:10

Did you interview with the program?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to all of you!!!
Here is what happened to me.
Got 4 prelim-surgery and 1 prelim-medicine called
But the offer came from a program that DID NOT, i repeat DID NOT, contact me beforehand.
So keep your hopes up even if you got no phone calls.
I am gonna stay away from this site for a sec but will be checking my email. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.
I'd be glad to help!

For those how got offers....Did you interview (over the phone or in-person) with ALL of the places you got offers from?
have 2 IM categorical offers. was hoping for another in a different field. called them and they said NRMP is messed up on their end and trying to resolve and would call me back. could just be BS to not have to talk to me. we'll see.
and I phone interviewed with them

I got one offer and was called by 5 programs. 3 of the phone interviews sounded really promising, 1 was generic, 1 was pretty clear that I wasn't the top of the list but they called me.

got an offer in FM. no offers from programs that didn't contact me.

I got no offers. New message generated after 30 minutes of waiting. Now that I have collected myself: When do we get an updated list to apply to the 10 programs?

I got no offers. New message generated after 30 minutes of waiting. Now that I have collected myself: When do we get an updated list to apply to the 10 programs?
updated list at 2pm. eras opens at 230pm

It is a Match violation, unless the program initiated contact first during SOAP.

Right - so what I'm asking is that program X during SOAP called and phone interviewed me already. I didn't get any offers round 1. So it is a violation if i have a letter writer called on my behalf to program X?

I had an in-person interview with someone today at 10:30 AM and still got no offers. I must be a real piece of s***.

updated list at 2pm. eras opens at 230pm
Where did you find this information? I haven't found it anywhere, including the NRMP schedule, ERAS schedule, forums... Last year's thread said it did not update right after the first round (I realize they had a different setup).

I guess doesn't matter and we'll find out soon enough!

Where did you find this information? I haven't found it anywhere, including the NRMP schedule, ERAS schedule, forums... Last year's thread said it did not update right after the first round (I realize they had a different setup).

nrmp's facebook, eras dashboard page

Reactions: 1 user

I just asked NRMP and ERAS via twitter.. They answered directly.

nrmp's facebook, eras dashboard page
Thank you. The ERAS dash doesn't say anything about it, but I had not checked the NRMP facebook which stated "The List of Unfilled Programs will be updated at the conclusion of each SOAP offer round. It will be updated for the first time at 2:00 p.m. ET today when the first offer round concludes."

I had an in-person interview with someone today at 10:30 AM and still got no offers. I must be a real piece of s***.
I feel the same way right now. I have never been a fan of the system of medicine although I love the pracice of medicine. I had continually felt like this system is rigged and set up for the uber traditional folks.

So, if one, for example got a phone interview from a program but no offers this round, would it be a match violation to contact that program now/prior to round 2 by email or otherwise?

No. You are free to contact any program once they contacted you first.
I felt like contacting the program I interviewed with as well bc they were hinting that I was a good candidate but I didn't get any offers. I just have know idea how to broach not receiving any offers from them with out sounding like a complete and deperate jerk. .

is it illegal to talk about what offers have been accepted?

I would not post it here or anywhere online. But it seems to me that someone should be free to discuss it unless there is an express prohibition of it in the SOAP rules.

We will find out soon enough what offers have been accepted once we get the updated list. I am hoping there are still some family med spots left. I can't imagine doing anything else.

when soap is over...... are the programs that still have unfilled positions posted on NRMP??? or is there a list somewhere else??? .... just trying to prepare what to do if I don't match

1 offer, 1 accepted

Does anybody else have any thoughts about matching in area that's different from their original interest? I was originally pediatrics, now family medicine. I know you can gear FM to be more peds oriented, but it still feels weird. The past 4 years I kinda had my sights set on peds and thought I was gonna be a pediatrician. It's all just so sudden.

anyone been contacted since noon by programs? i'd really like to know thanks

will the programs call between 2:30-3 or will they offer without contact?

It seems its not enough time for more calls, maybe the programs have already made up their mind and won't change the list or people they called too much. I haven't received a call either =(

The Unfilled program list on NRMP says it was updated 10 mins ago, but I see the same positions I applied to available. Anyone sees something different on this "new" list?

did you get calls from both of them
yes, multiple calls/emails from both that offered. both told me to "look for an offer" and neither surprisingly lied. Had 3 other calls in IM and 2 in radiology. The 2 IM offered.

yes, multiple calls/emails from both that offered. both told me to "look for an offer" and neither surprisingly lied. Had 3 other calls in IM and 2 in radiology. The 2 IM offered.
Be glad you weren't lied to, because I can confirm that it did happen.

Same here. Was told by 3 PDs to look for offers. Nothing. Was told the same by a PD who took initiative to email me after an interview this winter. Said "We we very enthusiastic about your application and think you'd be a great fit. We hope you'll consider us!"

Right now I just want to quit medicine. If I could get rid of my student loans I would.

Personally, I would have a hard time having a clear conscience doing the double-talk/sweet-talk just to not follow through. To me that's about as unethical as some of these lawyers we're supposed to look down upon. If it were my task to do that to people or be fired, I would be fired 100% of the time.

I wouldn't doubt it a bit. I was lied to in main match, like I'm sure many of you were. I didn't hold my breath on those 2 in soap, but they thankfully pulled through.

1 offer, 1 accepted

Does anybody else have any thoughts about matching in area that's different from their original interest? I was originally pediatrics, now family medicine. I know you can gear FM to be more peds oriented, but it still feels weird. The past 4 years I kinda had my sights set on peds and thought I was gonna be a pediatrician. It's all just so sudden.
Well, I didn't apply to anything except family medicine bc that is my desired field. Family medicine is really geared toward the family as a whole. It mildly upsets me that others applied to a less desired specialty because it was "easier" to get into. I really hope that as you go through family medicine you can really value and appreciate the practice as it is meant to be-- for the whole family.

Personally, I would have a hard time having a clear conscience doing the double-talk/sweet-talk just to not follow through. To me that's about as unethical as some of these lawyers we're supposed to look down upon. If it were my task to do that to people or be fired, I would be fired 100% of the time.
This why it's so hilarious to constantly get badgered about professionalism.

Many of my attending evaluations in 3rd year came from someone who spent maybe 10 minutes talking to me during rounds, have never seen me do a history or physical. It's all an arbitrary farce, and the furthest thing from professional.

And during residency applications, we get judged by 10 minute interviews with some "tell me about yourself" questions and "do you have any questions for me?" Again, total farce. In other jobs like finance or tech, you actually get pimped on your knowledge and critical thinking during interviews.

Is anyone applying to the same programs they heard nothing from so far and remains unfilled? Would that waste an application?

I wouldn't doubt it a bit. I was lied to in main match, like I'm sure many of you were. I didn't hold my breath on those 2 in soap, but they thankfully pulled through.

Also lied to in the main match. Was told they would be ranking everybody. Low and behold we are both in the SOAP. I was always 100% honest throughout and didn't play games. The sad thing is, had I sent #1 emails to all my programs and lied about how much I wanted to be there, pretended to be someone I wasn't, and played the games, I might have matched. That will teach me to be a straight shooter and honest. At least I have my dignity.

For a moment at 2pm it showed like nearly everything had filled, then about 5 minutes later many more openings showed up, almost vomited.