- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- General Residency Issues
- ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
SOAP 2015
Started by seap3
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No offers Again :|
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Help Urgent, If I take an offer for a prelim position in IM can I reapply next year for a 3 year categorical IM program?
I'd look for an off-cycle PGY-2 position. That would be FAR easier than starting over in a categorical position. And in IM, those come up ALL the time.
I failed a second time.
Hey PM&R2015 so there is no issues with medicare not willing to pay for 2 intern years? the prelim year and the internship year of the categorical program?
no offers
Hey guys... someone else already addressed this but I'm not sure what the conclusion was.
If today's 230pm application round was for 10 additional programs beginning tomorrow...why wouldn't they have made it a 5pm round? In essence, couldn't some programs we applied to that appeared open at 2pm today, fill by 5pm today after the 3pm offers?
AHHHH!
If today's 230pm application round was for 10 additional programs beginning tomorrow...why wouldn't they have made it a 5pm round? In essence, couldn't some programs we applied to that appeared open at 2pm today, fill by 5pm today after the 3pm offers?
AHHHH!
d
when does the list come out again?
Help Urgent, If I take an offer for a prelim position in IM can I reapply next year for a 3 year categorical IM program?
Yes, you can reapply the following year to a categorical IM program. Alternatively, you can speak to your PD and see if they will allow you to switch to categorical after PGY1 and stay for the next two years. You may also be able to join categorical programs with an open PGY2 spot the following year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd look for an off-cycle PGY-2 position. That would be FAR easier than starting over in a categorical position. And in IM, those come up ALL the time.
agreed. physician-only is the way to go. repeating internship would be brutal.
does anyone know when the list will be updated now?
At 5pm EDT, I'd imagine.
Not 100% sure. You would essentially be required to repeat an internship, which would suck. It would come down to whether or not GME funding would allow it, and honestly I don't have a great answer for you.
Yes, you can back into the match. Funding does decrease for the program (to 60-70% of your maximum in your PGY3 year). PGY2 spots do open up on occasion. The experience and more importantly, LETTERS you can get from a Prelim year are valuable.
game over
Hey guys... someone else already addressed this but I'm not sure what the conclusion was.
If today's 230pm application round was for 10 additional programs beginning tomorrow...why wouldn't they have made it a 5pm round? In essence, couldn't some programs we applied to that appeared open at 2pm today, fill by 5pm today after the 3pm offers?
AHHHH!
Yep, that's why I decided to wait. But I bet not all will have filled -- maybe after 5pm you'll start getting some new emails and phone calls.
Yes, you can back into the match. Funding does decrease for the program (to 60-70% of your maximum in your PGY3 year). PGY2 spots do open up on occasion. The experience and more importantly, LETTERS you can get from a Prelim year are valuable.
Question, I completed an intern year in FM (credit for 9 of 12 months) almost three years ago, but I re-entered the match because it had just been so long and I'm not comfortable jumping back in where I left off. Could this be a factor in why I'm not getting interviews? Would I need to look at a different specialty?
Ugh, you were smart. I didn't even realize until it was too late. Hopefully my last 10 weren't all entirely wasted. 🙁Yep, that's why I decided to wait. But I bet not all will have filled -- maybe after 5pm you'll start getting some new emails and phone calls.
So what now? What does one do with an MD... and no residency?
Me too... utter defeat.This is so stressful and sad.. I feel like I've been run by a truck back and forth for the past 3 days
SOAPed into prelim surgery. Credentials: AMG, step 1 230, step 2 fail on 1st attempt, pass on second, CS pass. Below average applicant.
Basically I am saying do not lose hope guys!
Basically I am saying do not lose hope guys!
Ugh, you were smart. I didn't even realize until it was too late. Hopefully my last 10 weren't all entirely wasted. 🙁
So what now? What does one do with an MD... and no residency?
Chin up, don't give in yet. We still have another day. As far as what happens if you don't get any offers tomorrow, there is the post-SOAP program list, and there are no restrictions on applying to those. Also, sometimes people aren't able to start their PGY-1 year as committed (sickness, pregnancy, visa issues, etc.), so get a subscription to residentswap.com and findaresident.com and just keep checking every day. Something will come up.
If I write my book some day about everything wrong with medical school, do you all want to contribute? 😉I was explaining this whole process to a guy a started dating a few months ago. He's from another country so didn't know at all how the match worked. And the more I explained the more he was like what?!?! That makes absolutely no sense. Then, when I told him how much I paid eras to apply to programs he literally lost his mind lol. He was like so essentially you have to pay to apply for a job, what is the BS? I was like yep, that's how this whole thing works. Ugh.
no offers for this round!!
Just spoke to an NRMP representative. What was reported above is correct. If you received a "no offers" message after you submitted your second round applications, it was actually for the FIRST round spots that rolled over. As the representative explained, there was not enough time between 2:30-3:00 for programs to make a list. So just because you got that message does NOT mean you still have no offers. We will get any offers from round 2 at 9:00 tomorrow morning. It's not over yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SOAPed into prelim surgery. Credentials: AMG, step 1 230, step 2 fail on 1st attempt, pass on second, CS pass. Below average applicant.
Basically I am saying do not lose hope guys!
Congrats 🙂 well deserved.
Congratulations. What specialty?
Holy ****ing ****...got an offer, and accepted.
Matched prelim initially, and applied to advanced
Sending you all good luck vibes!!!
I'm a USIMG btw...can't believe it worked out! 🙂
You know, I've never understood why we can't have private "residencies," more like apprenticeships. As long as the attending supervising the resident(s) adhered to JCO regs, and was willing to submit to regular audits, why couldn't we just go train with anyone who was willing to take us on? Seems like it would alleviate a lot of these problems, as well as the primary care provider shortage.
congrats !!!SOAPed into prelim surgery. Credentials: AMG, step 1 230, step 2 fail on 1st attempt, pass on second, CS pass. Below average applicant.
Basically I am saying do not lose hope guys!
still no offers...
the rep i talked to during the wave 1 fiasco was rude as hell. i mean i get that they're being flooded with calls, but cmon. don't treat stressed out applicants like a turd you just stepped on.Edit to my above post, if anyone has contradicting info let us know...the rep I talked to on the phone sounded a little confused haha
hey, thanks for the comedy. made me laugh, at least. I feel you.This is so stressful and sad.. I feel like I've been run by a truck back and forth for the past 3 days
This is so stressful and sad.. I feel like I've been run by a truck back and forth for the past 3 days
so true
Question, I completed an intern year in FM (credit for 9 of 12 months) almost three years ago, but I re-entered the match because it had just been so long and I'm not comfortable jumping back in where I left off. Could this be a factor in why I'm not getting interviews? Would I need to look at a different specialty?
How good is your letter from your previous PD? People who don't finish years have a big hill to climb up.
Re-entry also has financial impacts on programs. It's not huge, but it's real.
Many factors go into interview offers.
Got my email 5 min ago after "generating" for a while. SOAPed into med prelim...had matched into advanced neuro (US/IMG)
Best of luck to you all!!! Its far from over, do not lose hope
Best of luck to you all!!! Its far from over, do not lose hope
Would GME "funding" for repeating even matter since most new programs get no Medicare funding and are self-funded?
Also, I spoke with a PD who had to fill a few spots in the SOAP and they said the program was frustrating to them and didn't work as well as they were told it would, and worse than last year.
Also, I spoke with a PD who had to fill a few spots in the SOAP and they said the program was frustrating to them and didn't work as well as they were told it would, and worse than last year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've lost all hope at this point. Another round of offers come and gone without a single phone call or email.
i'm nearing the edge too man. hang in there with me.I've lost all hope at this point. Another round of offers come and gone without a single phone call or email.
only because I've given up:
when are we allowed to contact programs? aka when does soap officially end?
when are we allowed to contact programs? aka when does soap officially end?
Off-cycle 4th year DO student matching into pathology (path doesn't have DO programs) failed step 1 COMLEX twice, didn't take USMLE, interviewed at and ranked 5 places, Didn't match, got 1 interview which led to an offer in SOAP round 1. Keep trying! Please don't give up hope!people who got offers...can you share your credentials?