SOAP 2016 Thread - questions, advice, support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only "no contact" rule is related to programs that are in SOAP. If you matched advanced but not prelim, you have a couple of options.

1. You should have been in contact with your home prelim programs 15 seconds after learning you didn't have a PGY spot. You can't go back in time, but if you haven't already done so, you should do this now.

2. You can/should have call(ed) NRMP as soon as you found out that you matched advanced without prelim to ask the city where you matched advanced (they will more than likely tell you the city, if they don't call back 20 minute later and hope to get someone else who will, lather/rinse/repeat as needed). Then cold call every IM/GS/TY program in that city to ask about a spot. If you only applied to one program in that city, call the advanced PD of that program and ask for help.

None of the above advice is a violation of NRMP/SOAP rules.

Interesting. When I asked NRMP if I could contact the program I matched with, they told me that there is a strict no-contact policy for all programs and that I cannot do this. I'm getting conflicting information here. While I appreciate your input, I don't want to risk violating match rules and then losing my advanced spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question: has anyone gotten any phone calls today from any of the surgery prelim programs in the boston area? my wife matched in boston and i am really hoping to be able to secure a prelim position in the area.

I had the same issue, but quickly realized that yesterday evening. I am so frustrated at the ERAS site as well. It is so NOT user friendly (with so many clicks to submit just one damn application) and it crashes so much... They can do better with all the money they charge!
I had the same issue yesterday, it said that my USMLE transcript not uploaded, I called them they said it takes half an hour to upload after you apply, and it show up right after that. So do not worry about that. You did not miss anything...

The only "no contact" rule is related to programs that are in SOAP. If you matched advanced but not prelim, you have a couple of options.
  • Can apply only to unfilled Match-participating programs that are participating in SOAP®. Match-participating programs that are not participating in SOAP®, as well as programs not in the Match, cannot be contacted by any means until after SOAP® concludes."

Last edited:
  • Can apply only to unfilled Match-participating programs that are participating in SOAP®. Match-participating programs that are not participating in SOAP®, as well as programs not in the Match, cannot be contacted by any means until after SOAP® concludes."
This assumes you're asking the program for a spot. If you're asking an advanced program where you've already matched for help with a prelim spot, this does not apply.

Interesting. When I asked NRMP if I could contact the program I matched with, they told me that there is a strict no-contact policy for all programs and that I cannot do this. I'm getting conflicting information here. While I appreciate your input, I don't want to risk violating match rules and then losing my advanced spot.
You got bad information. And, if you don't get a prelim spot, you lose your advanced spot. So you're currently between a rock and a very soft place that nobody cares about. Do what you think is appopriate. But if you come back here next year complaining about not matching this year, expect extreme ridicule.

Did anybody get a SOAP interview call from an Unknown phone number? Do all calls that come are from Unknown numbers? I just missed a call at the only time I left my phone alone! I hate myself for this!

Did anybody get a SOAP interview call from an Unknown phone number? Do all calls that come are from Unknown numbers? I just missed a call at the only time I left my phone alone! I hate myself for this!
Not all calls, but if you reject or ignore an unknown number right now, you get what you deserve.

My answering service tells all of my patients that call in after hours that, if they don't accept calls from unknown numbers, that they shouldn't bother calling.

If you got no VM however, you're probably SOL.

You got bad information. And, if you don't get a prelim spot, you lose your advanced spot. So you're currently between a rock and a very soft place that nobody cares about. Do what you think is appopriate. But if you come back here next year complaining about not matching this year, expect extreme ridicule.

My dilemma here is that I have been instructed by NRMP that under no circumstance can I contact any programs that do not initiate contact with me while I am in SOAP. You are telling me otherwise.

I'm definitely planning to be look for positions and contacting my PD after SOAP (Thursday) in the case where I don't scramble into something. We have a contract that obligates us to each other until June 30th, and it's in both of our best interests to find me a preliminary position.

My dilemma here is that I have been instructed by NRMP that under no circumstance can I contact any programs that do not initiate contact with me while I am in SOAP. You are telling me otherwise.

I'm definitely planning to be look for positions and contacting my PD after SOAP (Thursday) in the case where I don't scramble into something. We have a contract that obligates us to each other until June 30th, and it's in both of our best interests to find me a preliminary position.
You're not paying attention here. You can't contact any program that you know to have a spot open in SOAP if you're participating in SOAP. But there's nothing preventing you from reaching out to random programs, or your home program, or your advanced program (assuming you know it) to ask about prelim spots.

But feel free to ignore me and let us know how the match goes next year.

Reactions: 1 users
You can call the NRMP to find out where your Adv program is. Once you know that, it's important to make sure that the programs that are in that city know that you matched Adv there. Otherwise, there's no way for me to know, looking at your application. Asking someone from your home program to contact those programs to let them know, although technically a violation of the rules, is clearly the right thing to do for everyone. It could be your adv program PD also. But your Adv PD doesn't even know yet that you have matched there, and unclear if they will believe your word about it.

Reactions: 1 user

I am wondering the same thing about the unknown number. I received a call earlier from a program, and within less than 30 seconds of the conversation the call was disconnected or I was accidentally hung up on. I tried calling the same phone number back immediately but it said "you have reached a non working number" and the person I was speaking to never called back. Kicking myself at the moment.. :'(

Do R3 offers show up on the NRMP website tomorrow? Do we receive an email if we have offers?

Do R3 offers show up on the NRMP website tomorrow? Do we receive an email if we have offers?
They definitely show up on the R3 site. At 11:55 (or whenever the cutoff is), the site will say "Generating Offers". Theoretically this should only last for 5 minutes, but last year for the first round it took at least 15-20 minutes and it was hard to know if you had no offers. Hopefully those bugs will be fixed, but only time will tell. As you can imagine, what happens is that at 12 noon every program and applicant furiously refreshes the page -- this can crash the server. We will see. I don't know if there are emails generated -- I don't think so, but I'm not certain.

You log into R3 I think, then you'll have an area where offers will show up. You'll be refreshing that screen like mad starting about 20 mins before offers are actually due.

Last year there was a huge f-up with the system, read the middle few pages (like 5-9) of last year's thread for a few good laughs. It got pretty punchy there for a while while everyone was dealing with the "offers being generated" message.

I don't remember if I got emails, I was glued to the R3 system and as soon as I accepted the offer I shut the computer down and went outside for the first time in a few days.

Reactions: 2 users
So um.... any chance of landing an anesthesia spot in NYC still? I really wanted to go there for familial reasons... :(

good luck. Looking at what NRMP made available for us, I think there are few Anesthesia spots open... where is the question of course...

You log into R3 I think, then you'll have an area where offers will show up. You'll be refreshing that screen like mad starting about 20 mins before offers are actually due.

Last year there was a huge f-up with the system, read the middle few pages (like 5-9) of last year's thread for a few good laughs. It got pretty punchy there for a while while everyone was dealing with the "offers being generated" message.

I don't remember if I got emails, I was glued to the R3 system and as soon as I accepted the offer I shut the computer down and went outside for the first time in a few days.

There is an "Offers" button under SOAP on R3 now.

some people are pming me to share with them unmatched spot list. I don't have it, and even if i did, i can't share it (match violation). I know some of you guys are curious/desperate, but please don't ask for such nonsense.

some people are pming me to share with them unmatched spot list. I don't have it, and even if i did, i can't share it (match violation). I know some of you guys are curious/desperate, but please don't ask for such nonsense.
i dont get it, shouldnt anyone eligible for SOAP be able to see the list? For the non SOAPers The list becomes public after the match anyways i think..

Not all calls, but if you reject or ignore an unknown number right now, you get what you deserve.

My answering service tells all of my patients that call in after hours that, if they don't accept calls from unknown numbers, that they shouldn't bother calling.

In that case, I busted prolly my only chance, that's tough to live with! Thanks for your input.

I just wanted to weigh in with some support for everyone going through this difficult time. For those that are going through this the first time, if you don't match, please don't think it is over for you. Coming from someone with two intern years under their belt, 3 years working as a GP, and thousands of dollars shelled out for the interview trail, matching can still happen years after you graduate. At the same time, don't feel you have to 'take whatever you can get'. Don't perpetuate the cycle of abuse in institutions by going into something you know is not right for you, as it will manifest itself at some point in training. You are worth more than just barely surviving residency. You can help others even if you don't take the most traditional routes. I'll be sending positive thoughts in all of your directions.

Reactions: 11 users
gutonc, I don't mean to start a fight with an SDN admin, but can you show a little sympathy? I realize from your other posts that you're actually devoting a ton of your time to helping people out, and that you don't necessarily mean to be cruel. Still, even from the sidelines, your words sting.

This is the worst day of some very bright, talented, hardworking people's lives. They've worked very hard for the last 4 years -- or really last 12+, considering the path to medicine really begins with good grades in high school -- only to have their dreams blow up in their faces. While some of these posts definitely make me want to say something hardassed as well, I hold back. No one deserves to not match, and no one deserves to be treated so abrasively while they're already down on their luck.

Please be kind(er). And don't forget that it's getting harder to match every year. If you had to go through the process yourself today, there's no telling where you might end up. There but for the grace of (insert your deity/higher power/The Force of choice) go us all, right?

First of all, you're a DO, not a US grad. Stop that. You're not the first person to make that error this year and it's misleading.

Second...with a Step 1 score that mediocre, you probably should have gone all in on the AOA match. Water under the bridge for you of course, but a cautionary tale nonetheless.

Third...you're a DO grad. Go grab a sloppy seconds TRI and move on.

You're not paying attention here. You can't contact any program that you know to have a spot open in SOAP if you're participating in SOAP. But there's nothing preventing you from reaching out to random programs, or your home program, or your advanced program (assuming you know it) to ask about prelim spots.

But feel free to ignore me and let us know how the match goes next year.

Reactions: 10 users
I also have, and my sig other has, cried. You are not alone! Altho I have gotten 0 calls, I'm happy that others have. Someone's gotta make it right? The system is cruel, but we are in this together.

SIGECAPS -- I'm yes for every single letter at the moment :(

Matched into an Advanced position in PMR, but did not match prelim anywhere. Received 3 phone interviews and a few interest emails today for prelim surgery, what are the chances I get an offer? Is there any way to contact my potential PMR program and ask for assistance? (I'm a US-IMG). Thanks for any advice.

I am a soap eligible applicant ... Is it a NRMP violation if you email PD of programs where you interviewed but they are fully matched and not participating in soap , asking them what went wrong from my side

I am a soap eligible applicant ... Is it a NRMP violation if you email PD of programs where you interviewed but they are fully matched and not participating in soap , asking them what went wrong from my side

No it would not be a violation, but you are unlikely to get a response now. Wait a month and then try....

Can you please give me a good diplomatic answer to the question:
"Why do you think you didn't match?"

Matched into an Advanced position in PMR, but did not match prelim anywhere. Received 3 phone interviews and a few interest emails today for prelim surgery, what are the chances I get an offer? Is there any way to contact my potential PMR program and ask for assistance? (I'm a US-IMG). Thanks for any advice.
Congratulations for matching at advanced PMR program. There is a high chance that you will match into prelim position in my opinion. Finally someone talking about PMR here.

Can you please give me a good diplomatic answer to the question:
"Why do you think you didn't match?"

If I asked you here and you didn't feel the need to be "diplomatic" what would you say? Be honest with yourself when answering.

Take that answer, polish it up and eliminate any sarcasm or resentment, and that's basically what you should say. Along with a plan to address any deficiencies your app may have led others to believe you have.

Reactions: 7 users
Best of luck to everyone today. I hope you find something you will be happy with.

The die has been cast in most cases, there's not much to do but sit back and wait. By the phone of course, in case any last minute miracles come through.

Reactions: 4 users
Is this true?
How then are advanced spots filled if the original applicant loses their spot?
By people that only got prelims and diligently keep contact with programs in case they have unforeseen openings. Or people who start in on categorical things and decide a few months in that it's not for them.

diligently keep contact with programs in case they have unforeseen openings.
1. This wouldn't occur until after the match is complete, correct?
2. It's also possible that schools outside the SOAP have applicants that match advanced and never find a prelim?

Thank you for your help.

1. This wouldn't occur until after the match is complete, correct?
2. It's also possible that schools outside the SOAP have applicants that match advanced and never find a prelim?

Thank you for your help.
1. Correct.
2. Its possible. But not common. There's usually a prelim surgery program out there that's happy to have a "designated" prelim that won't need time off to interview, etc.

Just finished a 3 minutes phone call with a PD! IM Categorical.

That was so fast!! I thought he wanna chat and talk!

I'm an IMG 255+ 260+ Pass first attempt CS.

Good luck to me and to everyone soaping.

Reactions: 6 users

Was it from the east coast?

Three years I have the same story. I'm not match. I'm not getting any attention during the SOAP. I'm a US citizen, FMG (2001), my scores(220/230/214/all first attempt), MBA, MPH (currently enrolled), updating my LORs every year, completed each years clinical rotation. During the ERAS season I applied to IM, FM and few Ob/Gyn RP. Each year I received only one invitation. Apparently this system doesn't support current trend in the healthcare, where is the shortage of physicians in several areas. Keep thousands as me people unemployed . Good luck to everyone. :))

Last edited:

Are you Non-U.S. IMG?

US DO student...both Step and Comlex passed first time
224 step 1, 216 step 2, passed equivalent CS exam for DO's
Top quartile of class, good LOR's (I think...maybe), One of 7 students in second year class awarded for excellence in coursework
Ranked 10 programs, all western US.

Just got one call from an FM program
No other calls, no emails.
Did you apply to FM originally?

With 12 on ROL, I chalk it up to my lack of interpersonal skills. I understand psychiatry was fierce this season, but obviously there was something on my application that was positive enough to get interviews. So I boil it down to maybe to my interview skills.

Don't be too hard on yourself! I really believe that this was just a brutal year for IMGs in psychiatry. I had a similar ROL and did not match. On Monday my husband had to endure a lot of questions from me like, "Am I just really weird and my whole life everyone's been too nice to tell me?" But I mean, no. It's not anything you or I did wrong, not with a dozen places on the ROL. Psych just got really competitive (I mean, take another look at that tiny list of unfilled programs!)