SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already confirmed this with my Dean. Once SOAP concludes, you are able to contact whomever you wish. No violations at this point.

I just asked from the online support (chat) on NRMP website, was told I am allowed to contact the PD of the advanced positions I matched after the main match results are in on Friday... -sighs-

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if it's violation of match to contact the PD where I matched for my advanced position tomorrow at 11 am when SOAP concludes....
Be very careful about this. You know that you matched with them because of SOAP, but they don't know they matched with you, so I think NRMP would consider it to be a Match violation to contact the Advanced Program.

Reactions: 1 users
IMG friend just soaped into Path. She's amazingly lucky but I haven't had as much luck.

EDIT: wanted to give fellow-SOAPers hope. Her Step 1 was below, Step 2 was average and she's also IMG. She did not expect to match at all, least of all in SOAP. What set her apart was her PS, her actual passion for Path(volunteered lots, came into and finished Med school saying how much she loved Path) and her interviews(called 3 times and aced them all). So don't give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Be very careful about this. You know that you matched with them because of SOAP, but they don't know they matched with you, so I think NRMP would consider it to be a Match violation to contact the Advanced Program.

Yes...I think that is correct...thank you

Hello guys,

I know this process is stressful and just wanted to say keep faith in the upcoming rounds if no offers. I am a US DO with Comlex scores of 610/615 and Step I of 230. Tried to match into DO Ortho with no good results. Since I applied to a few NRMP programs as backup I also did match on Monday. During the SOAP, I applied to mostly IM programs and few prelim medicine. On Monday I received 4 calls from IM programs( mostly were AOA that recently made the switch to ACGME). On Tuesday I received 3 calls and 1 call today this morning. Today at 12 pm I received 4 offers in IM in which I accept the one closest home.

So, I am thinking those other programs will be available for second round. Hang tight guys. This whole week has been stressful but keep hoping for good outcomes!

You matched on Monday , yet you entered SOAP for IM programs? I am missing something here...

Hi people!
It's my first post here.
AMG
No luck.
Wondering if I am ever going to make it. Been working on this for years.
Good luck everybody!

I already applied to 45 programs. I didn’t get any offers! For round 2, do I apply again?
Im sorry I’m confused

To those that left some applications free for later rounds, when is the best time to apply? After the list updates? My guess is that the application probably wont be seen until the third round anyways? Any thoughts on this?

I already applied to 45 programs. I didn’t get any offers! For round 2, do I apply again?
Im sorry I’m confused

Well you can only apply to 45 programs over the entire SOAP process...and the programs you applied already have access to your application
So just..be hopeful and wait for the next round of offers.

Im sorry I’m confused

My friend, you are only allowed 45 applications TOTAL. If you used them up, you have nothing left for 2nd and 3rd round. good luck

To those that left some applications free for later rounds, when is the best time to apply? After the list updates? My guess is that the application probably wont be seen until the third round anyways? Any thoughts on this?
List updates 5 minutes after every round.
So apply for remaining positions accordingly.

Im sorry I’m confused
Any programs you applied to who still have available positions will have your application. You chose a strategy that optimized your possibilities for the first round, and that was probably a good choice. Take a deep breath and hope for the best possible outcome.

So program that called me yesterday twice still has spots open....I emailed the faculty once already saying that they are my number 1 choice and that I would accept an position if I was offered one. Do I send another email to her response saying the same thing again?

Reactions: 1 user
I got into a categorical IM position . Thanks a lot for all the people here. Its been a huge support. To all others, i know how hard this can be . Please dont loose hope..Hang in there. You will all definitely get in , its just a matter of wen. WE have struggled so much all these years and v are more than this one result... Keep goin towards your goal.. Good luck

Reactions: 4 users
So program that called me yesterday twice still has spots open....I emailed the faculty once already saying that they are my number 1 choice and that I would accept an position if I was offered one. Do I send another email to her response saying the same thing again?

YES--maybe change up the wording a little, but definitely let them know you are still interested and would accept if offered.

I accepted one categorical offer-- I'm going back home near my extended family :) :bow:

What a week :hurting:

Congrats. I remember that feeling.

I understand the rationale for what they're trying to do in SOAP compared to the scramble, so people like you aren't in a situation where a program forces you to yes/no with them on the spot when you might have another on the table, but ugh, if as people pointed out, a lot of offers are going to a few candidates in the first round, limiting the number of applications and forcing applicants to gamble with how many to use in each round is an awful setup.

edit: ok, so just because no offer in round one doesn't mean your application is "out" I guess, so that's not as bad, but still kinda brutal.

Reactions: 1 users
I would email her again

I just got two IVs, from Ty and Prelim Surg.

Phone calls still do happen!

Reactions: 6 users

If you said it once already since the interview I probably would not send the same thing back again.

Of the 45 places that I applied to on Monday, 30 still have spots, coming out to 59 positions that haven't been filled (including the one place that called me last night). Surely this is good for me? And yet, no phone calls...

Feelings of impending doom surfacing right about now. First real time it's hit me. Gotta figure out what I'm doing for the next year.

Feelings of impending doom surfacing right about now. First real time it's hit me. Gotta figure out what I'm doing for the next year.
yeah, I know that feeling... I just applied to 25 research jobs, hoping my luck with that will be better that all this mess

yeah, I know that feeling... I just applied to 25 research jobs, hoping my luck with that will be better that all this mess

Is there any easy place to find research jobs? I'm an IMG with pretty much no connection to the local universities.

Where do you go to find research jobs? I was looking yesterday and couldn't figure it out

Of the 45 places that I applied to on Monday, 30 still have spots, coming out to 59 positions that haven't been filled (including the one place that called me last night). Surely this is good for me? And yet, no phone calls...
simular 21/45 of the places I applied didn't fill... I didn't counts the total number of spots.. I just need one haha

whats the best way to contact programs post-SOAP

Just repeating the email isn't going to help. If there is new information, I think that would be fine. If you hadn't said you would accept their offer if given, that would be fine to say as well.

I did say that. I was gonna ask a trivial question to start the email but I will hold off

I wonder if it's violation of match to contact the PD where I matched for my advanced position tomorrow at 11 am when SOAP concludes....
No. It's not a match violation.
Look at the bottom of the page of the PDF
The final Offer Round concludes at 11 AM ET Thursday.
At that time, if you still have not secured a position , you can contact programs with unfilled positions directly.

All offers have been generated for the current round.
You do not have any offers for the current offer round.
The next round of offers will be sent at 9:00 AM March 15, 2018 EDT.
:(

Never posted on here but thought I could give you guys some encouragement who don't match this year.

Graduated 2016 US IMG

Step 1-204, Step 2-220, Step 2CS-Pass on 2nd attempt, Step 3-207
2016-Applied to 70 fm programs, 2 IVs, Withdrawn from match due to failure on Step 2 CS

2017-Applied to 30 fm and pre-lim programs (was trying to stay near hometown) 5 IVs, ranked 4 of them, no match. Did the soap, had 3 phone interviews after contacting all the programs and was turned in by 2 program coordinators and committed a match violation. They flagged me in the system and barred me from the 2018 SOAP but was able to participate in the 2018 general match.

SOAP week and after=Worst time of my professional life, first time I've ever felt hopeless about my career. Took weeks just to start feeling normal again but have felt discouraged almost the entire past year on a semi-regular basis.

2018-Applied to 150 fm programs, 50 pre-lim programs. 11 IVs and ranked all of them. Monday I found out I matched!!!!!!

What I did over last year-Volunteered at a free clinic 2x a month and shadowed a rural doctor 2x a month. Went to 2 fm conferences. Started a research job and got another publication on my CV. New LORs from a few physicians at the free clinic. Rewrote my PS and explained CS. 100 personal statements had a specific paragraph for each program of why I wanted to go there. Hobbies and Interest section on ERAS application I filled out really well. I put a few funny things in there about myself and PDs thought it was hilarious, I had one call me about it. Met with a professional on how to interview better. Read "How to make friends and influence people" to help my interpersonal skills. I called 8 out of 11 programs I interviewed about the red flag near the end of the season and to be honest they didn't really seem to care. I'm not saying it was right to contact programs during the SOAP but I personally believe its a dumb rule.

My advice-Don't give up. I seriously thought it was over for me after the SOAP but I kept pushing without any idea what was going to happen. My verse I read over the last year is Luke 11:8 "I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity he will surely get up". I am a Christian and based the whole last year on that verse and I would encourage you to do the same. Shameless Audacity is what it takes!
Thank you

Any US IMG out there getting a call?

nada, no hits since SOAPing - applied to IM and FM, had 2 IV during the year

213/215/2nd pass/200/completed one year gen surg prelim at university/10 published papers (no case reports)/smiles a lot

would program have time to look at new applications?

I've been watching this thread all week, keep up hope its not over until its over. Matched 1st Round categorical OB after 2 IV.

Reactions: 6 users
If I submitted all my 45 applications during round 1, then for round 2 I am not supposed to do anything Right? Or did I miss a step?

Any US IMG out there getting a call?

US-IMG here... No interviews or offers. Everyone that aren't getting interviews and offers need to keep their heads up! God bless!

I've been watching this thread all week, keep up hope its not over until its over. Matched 1st Round categorical OB after 2 IV.

Congratulations!

How long did the phone interview last?

Status
Not open for further replies.