SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the SOAP works like this:
Round 1: AMG
Round 2: Remaining AMGs+US IMGs
Round 3: Remaining US IMGs + non-US IMGs
It's like boarding a plane - First class > Business class> Economy class
Non-US IMG's who didn't get the call are like people with economy class unconfirmed tickets for a flight which already have more people with confirmed tickets !

Reactions: 1 users
I think the SOAP works like this:
Round 1: AMG
Round 2: Remaining AMGs+US IMGs
Round 3: Remaining US IMGs + non-US IMGs
It's like boarding a plane - First class > Business class> Economy class
Non-US IMG's who didn't get the call are like people with economy class unconfirmed tickets !
too harsh...

Reactions: 1 user
AMG here. My second scramble. Nothing. Zero. Barely passed on my second attempt @ step 1, passed on first attempt @ CK with a 246. However, passed CS at 2nd attempt. Took a year off after graduating to regain my sanity. Barely passed Step 3 at first attempt during that year off.

Focused primarily on prelims. I shouldn't have used all 45 programs I think. What if the ones I applied to are filled when they refresh their list? I wouldn't be able to apply anywhere else.

Nobody deserves this kind of stress.

I've promised myself that if I don't get a spot, I'm done with medicine. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I will be done with medicine. It just isn't worth it anymore honestly.

I used all 45 applications in the first round too. If a program I applied to in first round still has spots available, would my first round application still be available for them to see in the second round? Or would they only see those who apply in round two and my original application is thrown away after round 1?

I used all 45 applications in the first round too. If a program I applied to in first round still has spots available, would my first round application still be available for them to see in the second round? Or would they only see those who apply in round too and my original application is thrown away after round 1?
Your application is still there and available throughout the rounds.

Reactions: 4 users
I used all 45 applications in the first round too. If a program I applied to in first round still has spots available, would my first round application still be available for them to see in the second round? Or would they only see those who apply in round two and my original application is thrown away after round 1?
Your application is still there and available throughout the rounds.

I agree.

I guess my real concern was what if I never applied to program X, but now it STILL has empty spots? That would mean that people like me would have no reason to even bother checking the refreshed list of spots since I'm all in anyways. Maybe I should have applied to only 40? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello guys,

I know this process is stressful and just wanted to say keep faith in the upcoming rounds if no offers. I am a US DO with Comlex scores of 610/615 and Step I of 230. Tried to match into DO Ortho with no good results. Since I applied to a few NRMP programs as backup I also did not match on Monday. During the SOAP, I applied to mostly IM programs and few prelim medicine. On Monday I received 4 calls from IM programs( mostly were AOA that recently made the switch to ACGME). On Tuesday I received 3 calls and 1 call today this morning. Today at 12 pm I received 4 offers in IM in which I accept the one closest home.

So, I am thinking those other programs will be available for second round. Hang tight guys. This whole week has been stressful but keep hoping for good outcomes!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So I didn't get an offer, going for a prelim year (already matched into an advanced position). Do I seriously have to keep refreshing the NRMP page for the next 2 hours before I see that same message of all offers have been generated, or will I receive an e-mail/call from the program saying hey, we sent you an offer?

I assume its pretty much impossible to match if not contacted before the offer are released. That sound right?

I assume its pretty much impossible to match if not contacted before the offer are released. That sound right?

I remember reading something Program Director wrote in this thread that he's heard of situations where they'll give you an offer without contacting you. However, only prelimsurg is notorious for that.

So I didn't get an offer, going for a prelim year (already matched into an advanced position). Do I seriously have to keep refreshing the NRMP page for the next 2 hours before I see that same message of all offers have been generated, or will I receive an e-mail/call from the program saying hey, we sent you an offer?
dude, I've always been curious. What if you match into an advanced spot but don't end up matching into a prelim spot? do they take the advanced spot away from you? or will your medical school open up a prelim spot for you just to look out for their own?

dude, I've always been curious. What if you match into an advanced spot but don't end up matching into a prelim spot? do they take the advanced spot away from you? or will your medical school open up a prelim spot for you just to look out for their own?
I hear ya. My wife and I have been discussing this as well. I've been in touch with a resident at the program I'm going to and basically they said I need to do the SOAP as their positions are already filled. I feel that I'm going to try and get into the prelims via SOAP, if that doesn't work then look at the left over programs...possible surgery prelims...and worst case scenario maybe the DO scramble programs..?

In times like these I remember Desiderata by Max Ehrmann:
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Reactions: 4 users
4 offers in internal med. trying to make a decision quickly.

Reactions: 18 users
I hear ya. My wife and I have been discussing this as well. I've been in touch with a resident at the program I'm going to and basically they said I need to do the SOAP as their positions are already filled. I feel that I'm going to try and get into the prelims via SOAP, if that doesn't work then look at the left over programs...possible surgery prelims...and worst case scenario maybe the DO scramble programs..?
My understanding it's totally program-dependent. If push came to shove, I fell like a lot of programs and/or school for the graduating student who matched advanced but not prelim would PROBABLY open a spot. But it's clearly much more advantageous for them if you are able to find a spot in SOAP rather than open up an extra spot that they don't really need, and some programs/schools may legitimately not have the funds to do that/not care.

Good luck everyone.

Congrats!

For those of you with no offers, keep in mind that a bunch of programs probably all extended offers to a relatively small number of highly-qualified applicants. Keep your head up, lots of time left this week.

Reactions: 5 users
Never posted on here but thought I could give you guys some encouragement who don't match this year.

Graduated 2016 US IMG

Step 1-204, Step 2-220, Step 2CS-Pass on 2nd attempt, Step 3-207
2016-Applied to 70 fm programs, 2 IVs, Withdrawn from match due to failure on Step 2 CS

2017-Applied to 30 fm and pre-lim programs (was trying to stay near hometown) 5 IVs, ranked 4 of them, no match. Did the soap, had 3 phone interviews after contacting all the programs and was turned in by 2 program coordinators and committed a match violation. They flagged me in the system and barred me from the 2018 SOAP but was able to participate in the 2018 general match.

SOAP week and after=Worst time of my professional life, first time I've ever felt hopeless about my career. Took weeks just to start feeling normal again but have felt discouraged almost the entire past year on a semi-regular basis.

2018-Applied to 150 fm programs, 50 pre-lim programs. 11 IVs and ranked all of them. Monday I found out I matched!!!!!!

What I did over last year-Volunteered at a free clinic 2x a month and shadowed a rural doctor 2x a month. Went to 2 fm conferences. Started a research job and got another publication on my CV. New LORs from a few physicians at the free clinic. Rewrote my PS and explained CS. 100 personal statements had a specific paragraph for each program of why I wanted to go there. Hobbies and Interest section on ERAS application I filled out really well. I put a few funny things in there about myself and PDs thought it was hilarious, I had one call me about it. Met with a professional on how to interview better. Read "How to make friends and influence people" to help my interpersonal skills. I called 8 out of 11 programs I interviewed about the red flag near the end of the season and to be honest they didn't really seem to care. I'm not saying it was right to contact programs during the SOAP but I personally believe its a dumb rule.

My advice-Don't give up. I seriously thought it was over for me after the SOAP but I kept pushing without any idea what was going to happen. My verse I read over the last year is Luke 11:8 "I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity he will surely get up". I am a Christian and based the whole last year on that verse and I would encourage you to do the same. Shameless Audacity is what it takes!

• Care
Reactions: 18 users
When would be the list available for unfilled spots?

I agree.

I guess my real concern was what if I never applied to program X, but now it STILL has empty spots? That would mean that people like me would have no reason to even bother checking the refreshed list of spots since I'm all in anyways. Maybe I should have applied to only 40? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: misread your post. sorry.

i have 5 spots to apply for round 2. Any suggestions i am thinking to apply in prelim Surgery and hope for miracle.

It's not an easy decision.
If you apply to all 45 positions initially then theoretically you have more chance for PDs to look at your application. But if you leave out too many positions for later, you never gave a chance to those programs to look at your application at the start of the process.
If you wait then the number of unfilled positions are drastically reduced and more people are vying for those very limited positions later in the game.
I personally applied to 43 positions and left 2 for the rainy day.

Anyone know if there is a list of programs that did not participate in SOAP last year that went unfilled.

TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! ....(goes on until infinity)

Reactions: 2 users
All offers are submitted at the start of that Round.
Refreshing the page does nothing.

Programs sent their preference lists before round 1. If you apply after round 1, they can change their minds, and contact you if your credential is very good. Otherwise they will stick with their preference list. That's what I thought.

TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! TAKE ONE! ....(goes on until infinity)
lol I am sure your advice is accepted

I accepted one categorical offer-- I'm going back home near my extended family :) :bow:

What a week :hurting:

Reactions: 23 users
First time posting here, though I have been a long time reader
Non US IMG
250+ step 1, 260+ step 2, matched my dream advanced position, no prelim :((
NOT a single call during SOAP, and of course, no offers...

I think I am about going crazy ...

I accepted one categorical offer-- I'm going back home near my extended family :) :bow:

What a week :hurting:

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Got my prelim surg position. Promises to be super hard and maybe malignant but the wait is over. I haven't slept in three days. I am ready to crawl under this desk.

Reactions: 14 users
Got my prelim surg position. Promises to be super hard and maybe malignant but the wait is over. I haven't slept in three days. I am ready to crawl under this desk.
Congratulations.........

I wonder if it's violation of match to contact the PD where I matched for my advanced position tomorrow at 11 am when SOAP concludes....

Sooooooo do you expect more interviews today? Do programs really have 55 minutes to do more interviews?

I wonder if it's violation of match to contact the PD where I matched for my advanced position tomorrow at 11 am when SOAP concludes....
I've already confirmed this with my Dean. Once SOAP concludes, you are able to contact whomever you wish. No violations at this point.

Sooooooo do you expect more interviews today? Do programs really have 55 minutes to do more interviews?

honestly speaking, I think they may just be reviewing the people they already interviewed to see if they're still available...

Well the faculty I emailed before Round 1 emailed me back saying she enjoyed our conversation and email if I have any questions about the program....salt in the wound

Status
Not open for further replies.