SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. It's not a match violation.
Look at the bottom of the page of the PDF
The final Offer Round concludes at 11 AM ET Thursday.
At that time, if you still have not secured a position , you can contact programs with unfilled positions directly.

To clarify: it would not be a Match violation to contact the PD of the PRELIMINARY program at the institution where the OP has matched an advanced position--provided that prelim program had open spots after SOAP. The OP cannot contact the advanced position PD since that person won't yet know the OP is one of their matched applicants. After 1PM on Friday, OP can contact the PD of the advanced position to solicit help in finding a spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If I submitted all my 45 applications during round 1, then for round 2 I am not supposed to do anything Right? Or did I miss a step?
Same boat. Do nothing except check if where you applied still has spots unfilled (to lessen your anxiety I guess)

I've already confirmed this with my Dean. Once SOAP concludes, you are able to contact whomever you wish. No violations at this point.
Would you call / email or re-apply through ERAS post SOAP tomorrow? I am assuming their lines will be blowing up all day

Would you call / email or re-apply through ERAS post SOAP tomorrow? I am assuming their lines will be blowing up all day

It’s a scramble at that point (literally and figuratively). You gotta be ready to get on the phone and make a ton of calls.

Thank you very much for this info. I don't have good board scores but I matched into a really competitive specialty. Do you think the programs actively look for candidates you matched into competitive specialty? If not, that worries me a lot.
Wait did you say you matched?? Can you explain how you can match but also soap at the same time. I thought soap was only for those who didn't match...

I would love to know because I am not very knowledgeable about the entire match process. TIA

Sent from my FRD-L14 using SDN mobile

Congratulations!

How long did the phone interview last?
1IV (Didn't get a 1st round offer) was only 10 minutes, the other that was accepted lasted about 20 minutes and went into some benefit details etc.

Reactions: 1 user
1IV (Didn't get a 1st round offer) was only 10 minutes, the other that was accepted lasted about 20 minutes and went into some benefit details etc.
Thanks for the info.

Do you mind sharing some of your credential? like YOG, US citizen, MD or DO etc. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats to those whom have obtained spots. For those who have not, there is one more round.

If you used all 45 apps, you don't do anything else. You only get 45 apps. Because the 1st and 2nd rounds are so close together, my advice would have been to use all 45 apps up front. But if the programs to which you applied are full, there is no way to apply to the programs that are still open.

If you don't get a spot when SOAP finishes tomorrow, there will be a list of open positions. However, be aware that many of those positions will not be filled -- given all of the interest, it's unlikely that a program would go through 3 rounds of SOAP and not fill a spot. So perhaps they have someone outside of SOAP they are interested in (and hence just don't fill it in SOAP), or they just don't want to fill it, who knows. So I do think it's worth reaching out -- just expect a very high "the position is no longer available" rate, even if you contact them at 11:01 (or whenever SOAP finishes).

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to those whom have obtained spots. For those who have not, there is one more round.

If you used all 45 apps, you don't do anything else. You only get 45 apps. Because the 1st and 2nd rounds are so close together, my advice would have been to use all 45 apps up front. But if the programs to which you applied are full, there is no way to apply to the programs that are still open.

If you don't get a spot when SOAP finishes tomorrow, there will be a list of open positions. However, be aware that many of those positions will not be filled -- given all of the interest, it's unlikely that a program would go through 3 rounds of SOAP and not fill a spot. So perhaps they have someone outside of SOAP they are interested in (and hence just don't fill it in SOAP), or they just don't want to fill it, who knows. So I do think it's worth reaching out -- just expect a very high "the position is no longer available" rate, even if you contact them at 11:01 (or whenever SOAP finishes).
Which will be the preferred method to contact? Call or Email?

At 5:05 p.m. ET today, List of Unfilled Programs will be updated.
So anyone who has not used all of their 45 spots can apply for the remaining positions.
Also,
at 12 PM ET tomorrow (post SOAP) List of Unfilled Programs will be updated to include unfilled programs not participating in SOAP will be available
(from R3 system top menu bar) to all unmatched and partially matched applicants. Applicants can begin contacting all remaining unfilled programs.

Which will be the preferred method to contact? Call or Email?

Both are fine. Programs that have unfilled spots listed know that they are going to be deluged with inquiries. I would say that email is best for the "we'll look at your application". Make sure to include all relevant info in the first email. Basically, your entire ERAS file (pdf) and for the love of all that is good.....include a nice photo of yourself inline with your email. It really helps.

Reactions: 3 users

Very insightful, thanks

Thanks for this. How do you get them the letters without hassling each of your letter writers for each program you contact?

If I like someone's app enough, I would ask them for the contact info of a single referral. I'm unlikely to have them send me actual letters. Every program is going to be different about how they do things post-Match.

How to find updated list of unfilled residency program Post-SOAP? For example list of unfilled seats after 2 weeks or after a month?

one spot left in the program that interviewed me....fingers crossed. I sent my last ditch email...I felt like I needed to say what I wanted and needed to say. Wellp....hopefully more calls will come through or I get the last remaining spot. But I am getting out of the house and taking my dog to the dog park.

Reactions: 6 users
I already applied to 45 programs. I didn’t get any offers! For round 2, do I apply again?
Im sorry I’m confused
You can't unfortunately. Just hope those you applied to still have open spots

I know it's not the end of the world. But I can't help crying. I am such a disappointment to my family and myself.

I know it's not the end of the world. But I can't help crying. I am such a disappointment to my family and myself.

I know how you feel. I have been crying all day myself and just feel so defeated.

Reactions: 1 users
It certainly feels like the end of the world... truth be told, not that I'm happy you feel this way, but I'm relieved I'm not the only one feeling like a disappointment. I've been avoiding talking to certain family members...

I feel for you. In the same boat here.
But I do feel there are still many things we can do besides medicine. So stay positive. patpat!

Has anyone received any call recently?? Are programs calling now?? Moreover, any IMG has had any communication or offer? Nothing for me.. feel so hopeless

IMG here, matched advanced without prelim. Can we defer the advanced spot to the year after (2020) if I do not match prelim this year and apply for only prelims in the next match? I have heard that it can be done and there is an option in the NRMP waiver form to defer the match. Has anyone heard something similar? Can any program director shed some light?

IMG here, matched advanced without prelim. Can we defer the advanced spot to the year after (2020) if I do not match prelim this year and apply for only prelims in the next match? I have heard that it can be done and there is an option in the NRMP waiver form to defer the match. Has anyone heard something similar? Can any program director shed some light?
You have nothing to lose by doing this.

But quite honestly, your advanced program should really be trying to help you out here. So the second you find out where you matched, you need to be on the phone to the PC and get them to try to help you out.

If you were an AMG, I assure you that your dean would be twisting the IM or Surgery PD's arm to create a prelim spot for you next year. As an IMG, you're kind of hosed in that respect.

You have nothing to lose by doing this.

But quite honestly, your advanced program should really be trying to help you out here. So the second you find out where you matched, you need to be on the phone to the PC and get them to try to help you out.

If you were an AMG, I assure you that your dean would be twisting the IM or Surgery PD's arm to create a prelim spot for you next year. As an IMG, you're kind of hosed in that respect.

Thanks.. I am waiting for friday noon to contact my advanced PD.

I want to encourage you all to keep your heads up. US-IMG, matched, on my third match. You came this far, keep your vision and your passion. If you don't have a position post SOAP, keep at it. There are lots of opportunities that come up post match. Follow the AAMC list of programs for your specialty, to find newly approved programs. Follow residentswap to find openings. Keep improving yourself. Study for and take STEP 3 when ready. Find a mentor. I worked for a while as an MA/Phlebotomist, then got a research fellowship. Demonstrated persistence and passion are good.
Also, if you have to go through ERAS again, get your application reviewed and do practice interviews. It's important to show self awareness, and the practice can really help. Pay for it if you have to. I had a friend connect me with some faculty at a program that went through my PS with a vengeance and had me cut it down and clean it up.

I hope you all get positions today or tomorrow. Just wanted to share my experience.

I want to encourage you all to keep your heads up. US-IMG, matched, on my third match. You came this far, keep your vision and your passion. If you don't have a position post SOAP, keep at it. There are lots of opportunities that come up post match. Follow the AAMC list of programs for your specialty, to find newly approved programs. Follow residentswap to find openings. Keep improving yourself. Study for and take STEP 3 when ready. Find a mentor. I worked for a while as an MA/Phlebotomist, then got a research fellowship. Demonstrated persistence and passion are good.
Also, if you have to go through ERAS again, get your application reviewed and do practice interviews. It's important to show self awareness, and the practice can really help. Pay for it if you have to. I had a friend connect me with some faculty at a program that went through my PS with a vengeance and had me cut it down and clean it up.

I hope you all get positions today or tomorrow. Just wanted to share my experience.
is resident swap legit? i saw that it makes you pay for a subscription so i wasn't sure

I was going to say "there is no such thing as a deferral", but that appears to be incorrect. The waiver policy and forms are all online here: Requesting a Waiver - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

You can see there that the NRMP will allow a deferral if agreed upon by both the applicant, and the program. And therein lies the rub. If a program matched you this year and you were unable to get a prelim, I don't know that they would be willing to guarantee you a spot next year and take the same risk.

Some thoughts,,

Was in last year's match and failed to match for the third time (pathology).

I got super snubbed last year when two of my IV's went unfilled first two rounds and one of them was my home school. This means they did not rank me and did not consider me once seeing I was unmatched.

It hurt too much. Now I don't want to be a pathologist. I'm not pissed at my school because the candidates they ultimately soaped were stronger than me. I don't want to be a part of them though and would never apply again. They disgust me a little bit.

With that being said, If you want to be a doctor you should not settle. Keep applying even if it takes 10 times. Don't be a nurse or PA. Don't settle if you want to be a doctor. I know I could get a position after 10 ERAS tries but decided it wasn't my passion or even that fun or interesting. Also, I could never get a straight answer on the pathology job market but that's a whole other thing.

I became fascinated in September with health AI/informatics and the data science industry. Data scientists outperform doctors on impact, quality of life, and $$/hr. It's rated the best job every year. Data Scientist Is the Best Job In America According Glassdoor's 2018 Rankings

I know you want to try to compete in the match next year but research is boring but more importantly, pigeon holes you into that program. What if you could talk about something interesting in your IV's?

These are free programming languages. Not just free like free beer, but free to do what you want with them and virtually free training. If you can become fluent in just one you can make a great living and have a major impact on health care and ALOT to talk about in IV season.

Start with Python. It's free. If you can gain fluency in Python alone you will never have to worry about money. And it's the hottest language on the market. AI is the future of healthcare and Python is a pre-requisite to deep learning, machine learning, AI, etc, but don't worry bout stuff like that yet. Gain fluency.

Here's a good intro vid.

All the best.

Some thoughts,,

Was in last year's match and failed to match for the third time (pathology).

I got super snubbed last year when two of my IV's went unfilled first two rounds and one of them was my home school. This means they did not rank me and did not consider me once seeing I was unmatched.

It hurt too much. Now I don't want to be a pathologist. I'm not pissed at my school because the candidates they ultimately soaped were stronger than me. I don't want to be a part of them though and would never apply again. They disgust me a little bit.

With that being said, If you want to be a doctor you should not settle. Keep applying even if it takes 10 times. Don't be a nurse or PA. Don't settle if you want to be a doctor. I know I could get a position after 10 ERAS tries but decided it wasn't my passion or even that fun or interesting. Also, I could never get a straight answer on the pathology job market but that's a whole other thing.

I became fascinated in September with health AI/informatics and the data science industry. Data scientists outperform doctors on impact, quality of life, and $$/hr. It's rated the best job every year. Data Scientist Is the Best Job In America According Glassdoor's 2018 Rankings

I know you want to try to compete in the match next year but research is boring but more importantly, pigeon holes you into that program. What if you could talk about something interesting in your IV's?

These are free programming languages. Not just free like free beer, but free to do what you want with them and virtually free training. If you can become fluent in just one you can make a great living and have a major impact on health care and ALOT to talk about in IV season.

Start with Python. It's free. If you can gain fluency in Python alone you will never have to worry about money. And it's the hottest language on the market. AI is the future of healthcare and Python is a pre-requisite to deep learning, machine learning, AI, etc, but don't worry bout stuff like that yet. Gain fluency.

Here's a good intro vid.

All the best.

Looks like pathology was relatively competitive this year.

I wonder if it's violation of match to contact the PD where I matched for my advanced position tomorrow at 11 am when SOAP concludes....
once soap has concluded and match results are released, it is not a match violation...but how would you know where you match for advanced unless you applied to only one advanced or know the city you matched and applied to only one place there.

they have a vested interest in getting you a prelim spot, so they hopefully reach out and try to get you something whether at their institution or somewhere else.

Last edited:
once soap has concluded, it is not a match violation...but how would you know where you match for advanced unless you applied to only one advanced or know the city you matched and applied to only one place there.

they have vested interest in getting you a prelim spot, so they hopefully reach out and try to get you something whether at their institution or somewhere else.

It could be either. NRMP will give you the city where you matched if you need to SOAP into your PGY-1. I only have three advanced programs. Had I learned I was going to City X, I would have known I was going to that residency. As it is I'm down to two: my #2 and #7 choices.

Any IMG that SOAPed so far?? And any calls after second round? Nothing for me.. this sucks

once soap has concluded, it is not a match violation...but how would you know where you match for advanced unless you applied to only one advanced or know the city you matched and applied to only one place there.

they have vested interest in getting you a prelim spot, so they hopefully reach out and try to get you something whether at their institution or somewhere else.
I dont think this is correct. There is a post few pages back about this. You cannot contact ur advanced program PD until friday afternoon.

I was going to say "there is no such thing as a deferral", but that appears to be incorrect. The waiver policy and forms are all online here: Requesting a Waiver - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

You can see there that the NRMP will allow a deferral if agreed upon by both the applicant, and the program. And therein lies the rub. If a program matched you this year and you were unable to get a prelim, I don't know that they would be willing to guarantee you a spot next year and take the same risk.
Hoping that my advanced PD would help me out for prelim. Also the med prelim and sur prelim programs at the place where i matched could be willing to take me because i advanced at the same place.

Doing my Prelim in Internal Medicine right now. Did not match. Don't know what to do after June.

Here is my crazy SOAP story. DO student. ~240/240 >600/650. Third quartile. Initially tried to match EM. Did four aways and got four SLOE's. Did not honor any but overall positive comments (I was told). Applied to ~ 80 programs, went on 9 interviews that went well. Had red flags: failed M1 class for being late to an exam, had two poor comments on MSPE regarding appearing disinterested during rotations. Did not match. I successfully SOAPed today into a categorical IM position. Before offers went out today I tackled a total of 16 (yes 16!) phone and skype interviews in three specialties over the last two days. Received ONE offer in round one. Extremely grateful but this was insane. A few tips for SOAP. 1: If you are at risk of not matching re-write your PS the week prior to match for 1-2 other specialties you would consider during SOAP. 2: Send follow-up emails expressing your interest after phone interviews. 3: Have your faculty or admin contact programs on your behalf. I am happy with the result and thank the community for guidance throughout this. Good luck!

Last edited:
Here is my crazy SOAP story. DO student. ~240/240 >600/650. Third quartile. Initially tried to match EM. Did four aways and got four SLOE's. Did not honor any but overall positive comments (I was told). Applied to ~ 80 programs, went on 9 interviews that went well. Had red flags: failed M1 class for being late to an exam, had two poor comments on MSPE regarding appearing uninterested during rotations. Did not match. I successfully SOAPed today into a categorical IM position. Before offers went out today I tackled a total of 16 (yes 16!) phone and skype interviews in three specialties over the last two days. Received ONE offer in round one. Extremely grateful but this was insane. A few tips for SOAP. 1: If you are at risk of not matching re-write your PS the week prior to match for 1-2 other specialties you would consider during SOAP. 2: Send follow-up emails expressing your interest after phone interviews. 3: Have your faculty or admin contact programs on your behalf. I am happy with the result and thank the community for guidance throughout this. Good luck!
I thought you couldn’t have faculty or administration contact programs on your behalf during soap. Thought it was a match violation.

I thought you couldn’t have faculty or administration contact programs on your behalf during soap. Thought it was a match violation.

After the program initiates contact it is fair game.

I haven't gotten any calls after round 1.. no options unless I get a call early in the morning or a program extends me an offer without interview.

waiting on peds or prelim internal medicine

anyone else pending on either those?

11/45 apps still have spots

I haven't gotten any calls after round 1.. no options unless I get a call early in the morning or a program extends me an offer without interview.

waiting on peds or prelim internal medicine

anyone else pending on either those?

11/45 apps still have spots
No calls after round 1. Whole bunch of prelim IM pending. 21 places still have spots, which, honestly, at this point is such a kick in the face it's unbelievable. :(:mad:

No calls after round 1. Whole bunch of prelim IM pending. 21 places still have spots, which, honestly, at this point is such a kick in the face it's unbelievable. :(:mad:
I wonder how many of these places decide to leave spots open for post-SOAP selections. Maybe for people with connections or in need of a prelim if they have an advanced match?

Wait did you say you matched?? Can you explain how you can match but also soap at the same time. I thought soap was only for those who didn't match...

I would love to know because I am not very knowledgeable about the entire match process. TIA

Sent from my FRD-L14 using SDN mobile
So I was partially matched. I matched into an advanced position. It does happen rarely. Got 2 surgery prelim offers and took one. Was hoping to get medicine prelim, but did not get any call.

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder how many of these places decide to leave spots open for post-SOAP selections. Maybe for people with connections or in need of a prelim if they have an advanced match?
Obnoxiously, the places that I *have* connections to actually filled up. So much for "it's not what you know but who you know"

So I was partially matched. I matched into an advanced position. It does happen rarely. Got 2 surgery prelim offers and took one. Was hoping to get medicine prelim, but did not get any call.
Oh I'm so happy for you. I don't know if I missed your post about that? But I was wondering the whole evening what happened to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.