SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm, it seems programs I applied to during SOAP are free to apply to after just selecting them. I'm good if it says "Applied 3/14/19" right?
lol don't want to mess up again...sigh...

Members don't see this ad.

That's why I'm saying - after all this madness, this is typically a cool down period for programs so right now there may be lack of clarity between positions posted as listed, which are really not truly available, etc. So likely until Monday not much will happen. It's unfortunate but programs prob need a little time to settle the dust at this point.
thanks..

I just called a place I interviewed at. MY INTERVIEWER PICKED UP. He said "we are not doing that right now sorry".

what would make difference on next match? what you guys plan for next?? To stand out application?

I have emailed, phoned. I think its over for me and with that. I will sign off. If anyone wants to keep in touch please feel free to contact me.

Re energize and come back to fight another day.
Improve upon what you think might improve your CV.
Keep in touch with people who are in a similar situation, do NOT do this alone.

Have fun everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
I just called a place I interviewed at. MY INTERVIEWER PICKED UP. He said "we are not doing that right now sorry".
ugh, I feel for you. I would have been at a loss what to say next.
@aProgDirector when should applicants be doing the calling now that round 2 is over?

I have emailed, phoned. I think its over for me and with that. I will sign off. If anyone wants to keep in touch please feel free to contact me.

Have fun everyone.

we can do it ! I will sign off today too... but will come back..!
yeah... step3 definitely.. hope I can find some research assistant work too.. that actually can lead to publication.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't believe they changed the rules for the COMLEX and say I need to be in residency to take COMLEX 3.

It's like they are singlehandedly crafting and shaping the strings to stop me from being a doctor. I got the degree a year ago and feel worse than before.

Im totally confused on this process. Do we call programs to see if they are accepting applications 1st then apply again through ERAS. Is ERAS the only way to apply? Also do we then await a call for an interview or invitations. Has anyone done this before.

Did anybody try to call any of the unfilled programs? No one is picking up!

Ok this may be a stupid question but where does one find the unfilled list? I don’t see it in NRMP or MyEras... thanks any help would be appreciated

Don't waste money on FindAResident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Ok this may be a stupid question but where does one find the unfilled list? I don’t see it in NRMP or MyEras... thanks any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot (577).png
    Screenshot (577).png
    26.8 KB · Views: 268
I'm finding out that secretaries are saying that PD's have stated that the program is filled. I guess they rather take the "L" as supposed to getting us who have gone through the SOAP/scramble.

Have fun everyone.

Grieve, but dont give up! it's likely just a temporary set back

It's supposed to show up in the NRMP R3 system.

At this point, if you were in my shoes as a 4th yr med student, would you do a 5th year medical school or would you graduate and get a job in research? I would appreciate your input. Thank you so much!

That one anesthesia program with that many spots still has to be an error. There's just no way that can be real.

Most likely, they have just decided not to fill so aren't interviewing anyone. But there's no way to know.

They called me 5 mins before the deadline and 10mins after the offers to say they were interested still.

But could have been bs’ing again.

They probably offered to someone else, they declined, and then they reached out to you hoping that either 1) you didn't get a spot, or 2) you did get a spot in round 2 but would decline it so you could be with them.

so can someone explain the pricing one more time? it's 26 bucks per program if you applied there before?
what about new programs price per program?
and is there a flat fee you pay like someone mentioned the 99 to get the process started?
can someone explain the pricing please, just seeing if it's worth making the financial investment

My understanding is that ERAS pricing is the same as before. The first 10 apps to a specialty are some fixed cost, then an increasing price point until $26.
But I doubt programs will be looking at ERAS any more, so I would not apply anywhere unless they tell you to do so.

ugh, I feel for you. I would have been at a loss what to say next.
@aProgDirector when should applicants be doing the calling now that round 2 is over?

There's no "right" answer. I'd start with the list of open positions. However, there's a good chance that many of those spots either may never fill, or programs at this point will take their time, wait and see what happens. But might as well start there. Although you could try to call, I expect they will let all of these calls go to voicemail. Their phones are probably ringing non stop. If you have an email address, I would send them your ERAS app / a CV along with your PS, include your step scores, see if they are filling the spot.

Next, networking. If you have any connections, you should be using them now.

Not everyone who matched will start. Things happen. If there are programs in your local area, there's always a chance a spot will open up.

Prepare for lots of rejections, or simply no answer. I wish I had a better answer than that.

Reactions: 7 users
I emailed/called maybe 6/7 places with connects to my school and they are supposed to follow up. No idea what to do now.

Can't believe they changed the rules for the COMLEX and say I need to be in residency to take COMLEX 3.

It's like they are singlehandedly crafting and shaping the strings to stop me from being a doctor. I got the degree a year ago and feel worse than before.

I'm so sorry that the SOAP process didn't work for you. This process was largely unethical to say the least. Taking step 3 sounds like a great move forward. With regard to new COMLEX 3 regulations, you should be able to obtain permission from your school in lieu of a program director, in the event you are not enrolled in a program. Best of luck!

Has anybody gotten offers post-soap rounds? Anybody having any success with phone calls?

I'm so sorry that the SOAP process didn't work for you. This process was largely unethical to say the least. Taking step 3 sounds like a great move forward. With regard to new COMLEX 3 regulations, you should be able to obtain permission from your school in lieu of a program director, in the event you are not enrolled in a program. Best of luck!
I didnt take both steps so I can't take Step 3.

If I knew that(Comlex 3) I would have just taken it last year. I hate so much about the school I have gone to now

Did everyone apply to their home program and rank them too? Could home programs offer anything at this point?

I am in a tough spot too. I am a resident who will not be able to go on to 2nd year at my current location. I don't want to get into all the reasons and who is right or wrong or whatever, I just want to move on. While my PD is supportive and stated he would help me, I didn't realize the latest day to SOAP, so obviously in a tough position right now of having to randomly contact places. I wish the NRMP would release the list of programs that are still unfilled so that we could all benefit. Its a really stressful situation waiting for responses and such. Scary to think that will happen between now and finishing first year.

Well I have been calling and left bunch of voice mail, and emailed all remaining IM IMprelim TY and FM. But as I was doing that, I felt like there was no point. Lost hope. Tired. Worried. all mixed feeling.

Well I have been calling and left bunch of voice mail, and emailed all remaining IM IMprelim TY and FM. But as I was doing that, I felt like there was no point. Lost hope. Tired. Worried. all mixed feeling.
I have the exact same feeling. Been on my laptop for 3 days straight. I cannot go on like this. At least not for now.

Thank that didn’t show up for me until I logged out and relogged in

At this point, if you were in my shoes as a 4th yr med student, would you do a 5th year medical school or would you graduate and get a job in research? I would appreciate your input. Thank you so much!
Same question, but what is the point do a 5th year ? isn't it better just get MD degree and get a job?

I am in a tough spot too. I am a resident who will not be able to go on to 2nd year at my current location. I don't want to get into all the reasons and who is right or wrong or whatever, I just want to move on. While my PD is supportive and stated he would help me, I didn't realize the latest day to SOAP, so obviously in a tough position right now of having to randomly contact places. I wish the NRMP would release the list of programs that are still unfilled so that we could all benefit. Its a really stressful situation waiting for responses and such. Scary to think that will happen between now and finishing first year.

sorry about this. But if you at least have a position until the end of the academic year you have a little room to work with.

I am a non-US IMG.YOG:2005. I passed step 1/2ck/cs and step 3 in the first attempt with scores-234/249/222. I have done an externship in OBGYN in the US for 2 months with 2 US LORs. I had one obgyn interview but no match. no soap offers. Kindly give me your valuable suggestions to improve my cv next year.

Last edited:
If this hells i graduated and had a gap year as an MD and obtained a job as a medical assistant . Otherwise there aren’t many options for MD’s with no residency

I have the exact same feeling. Been on my laptop for 3 days straight. I cannot go on like this. At least not for now.

I am so fatigued. My soul is just circling the drain. I've called a ton of places with no human answering, spent an additional $200 on ERAS, have e-mailed... I don't know what else to do. I haven't left my house in 3 days. Can I go to the store and get dinner :shrug:

I am a non-US IMG.YOG:2005. I completed my residency in OBGYN in my home country in 2009 and worked as a teaching faculty in medical colleges in my country till 2017. passed step 1/2ck/cs and step 3 in the first attempt with scores-234/249/222. I have done an externship in OBGYN in the US for 2 months with 2 US LORs. I had one obgyn interview but no match. no soap offers. Kindly give me your valuable suggestions to improve my cv next year.

Sorry i thought you had gotten a spot. sorry I have to ask this - why come to the US if you are a working physician in a different country? I think your case is a little tough, especially considering 14 year old yog. I think the step scores are not the issue, but being out of graduation even if you are currently practicing is a little tough. Perhaps try FM with an OB/gyne component?

I am so fatigued. My soul is just circling the drain. I've called a ton of places with no human answering, spent an additional $200 on ERAS, have e-mailed... I don't know what else to do. I haven't left my house in 3 days. Can I go to the store and get dinner :shrug:

Sorry, it's a tough situation. Do you have family/friends who can be with you? it's important to have a circle of support during this time. it's not an easy process, and right now the dust needs to settle a little bit. i know it's super hard, but yes try to rest, distract your mind, surround yourself with loved ones who can support you right now.

Sorry i thought you had gotten a spot. sorry I have to ask this - why come to the US if you are a working physician in a different country? I think your case is a little tough, especially considering 14 year old yog. I think the step scores are not the issue, but being out of graduation even if you are currently practicing is a little tough. Perhaps try FM with an OB/gyne component?
I had to move with my family. Thats why I came here.Thank you for your suggestion!

Sorry, it's a tough situation. Do you have family/friends who can be with you? it's important to have a circle of support during this time. it's not an easy process, and right now the dust needs to settle a little bit. i know it's super hard, but yes try to rest, distract your mind, surround yourself with loved ones who can support you right now.

Thank you. Yeah, my gf is flying here today...it was supposed to be for match day :lame: but I could use the support

If any of the programs you applied to via SOAP didn’t fill, CALL THEM! EMAIL THEM!
I started cold calling at 3pm on the dot once the final list came out and was able to secure a spot!!! And it was the top program we had our eye on during the soap. All hope is not lost. Good luck everyone. Keep praying!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys, as I mentioned earlier, Don't Be Discouraged! You came this far and don't need to do anything drastic like switch careers. You can improve your application in your specialty and apply again as a stronger applicant. Its been done before! Make sure you talk to friends/ family and ask for help if you need it. Tons of people have not matched and still found positions outside of match or applied again and matched. Do Not Give Up! If you made it this far, then one thing is clear- If anyone can get through this difficult time, it is YOU!