SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If a program is still unfilled, do they historically contact the same people people during Scramble they've called during SOAP?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I just saw the updated list of programs. So they will rather not fill their programs than consider low USMLE scores??

Some programs prefer to fill spot after SOAP. this will give more time to review and interview applicants, instead of scrambling and randomly choosing.

I dont get it. we still have to wait the update list at 3pm to bother all the PDs?
I am wondering, is it because the PDs are still offering positions during Scramble to the same people they've called previously? ...in case that person hasn't matched...

1 offer. Oh my gosh I can't believe it. Good luck to everyone else this round and I wish the best for you all in the scramble!

My heart is heavy for all of you.

I would take it. ASAP!

I am wondering, is it because the PDs are still offering positions during Scramble to the same people they've called previously? ...in case that person hasn't matched...

To those of you who have not yet received offers, I would hold out hope. Seriously. I interviewed at numerous places during my first match, unfortunately I did not have a clear understanding of how to do the rank list. I should have likely gotten more help - my med school even offered a session I believe but I did not go. Anyhow, I did not match. I cried, was angry, etc. Typical emotions you are all feeling. Dean told me to grab FM somewhere and get something. I personally did not want to do FM (but nothing wrong with FM just my preference). Anyhow, I applied the next year - I applied to a number of specialties, interviewed at numerous prestigious/ivy programs, and matched in Rads. Ultimately I did not like Rads and transferred out, but the point is that, there is still hope even if you do NOT find a spot in the SOAP. Not all unfilled programs will want to fill through SOAP - as someone said some programs prefer to search for candidates outside of SOAP in order for it not to be mayhem since there is still time between now and the start of residency. So there are options after SOAP and if worse comes to worse, there is still hope for next year. It might suck, yes, but unfortauntely for those of us who have chosen to enter medicine, it's a rough road with obstacles, stumbles, and frequent falls - most people are able to eventually get back up, and in rearview/hindsight, end up with a fulfilling happy career.

So again - while it MIGHT feel like the end of the world now, it is not. Many of us have been in your shoes and can talk from experience peeps!

Reactions: 6 users
I matched guys! There will a spot open for prelim surg scramble.

God I need a damn beer.

Reactions: 10 users
You have no idea how carefully I was dragging my finger over the scrollpad of my laptop to make sure I clicked "accept"

Congrats! Yes it would have been awful if you accidentally hit delete! My recommendation - give it your all during the program, put your absolute best foot forward, and when you want to complain about how awful your program is (outside of it being abusive of course) - be grateful! What specialty btw?

Go out, hug your family and celebrate, and be a support to others in the future!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to those who matched. Now for the rest of us preparing to scramble, does anyone know the procedure? Whether contacting program directors or coordinators, my question is this... how do we give them a complete application? Personally, I waived the rights to my LORs. I can download the application and cv from Eras, but I don't have access to LORs. Do I simply refer to my Eras if they ask for them?

Are you guys allowed to post the specialties that are available in the SOAP, not program specific or anything like that.

To those of you who have not yet received offers, I would hold out hope. Seriously. I interviewed at numerous places during my first match, unfortunately I did not have a clear understanding of how to do the rank list. I should have likely gotten more help - my med school even offered a session I believe but I did not go. Anyhow, I did not match. I cried, was angry, etc. Typical emotions you are all feeling. Dean told me to grab FM somewhere and get something. I personally did not want to do FM (but nothing wrong with FM just my preference). Anyhow, I applied the next year - I applied to a number of specialties, interviewed at numerous prestigious/ivy programs, and matched in Rads. Ultimately I did not like Rads and transferred out, but the point is that, there is still hope even if you do NOT find a spot in the SOAP. Not all unfilled programs will want to fill through SOAP - as someone said some programs prefer to search for candidates outside of SOAP in order for it not to be mayhem since there is still time between now and the start of residency. So there are options after SOAP and if worse comes to worse, there is still hope for next year. It might suck, yes, but unfortauntely for those of us who have chosen to enter medicine, it's a rough road with obstacles, stumbles, and frequent falls - most people are able to eventually get back up, and in rearview/hindsight, end up with a fulfilling happy career.

So again - while it MIGHT feel like the end of the world now, it is not. Many of us have been in your shoes and can talk from experience peeps!
Thank you, Best of luck!

Have a good hour to break things in my room before the school sends out an email with their "help"

Should we call PD or coordinator for scramble?

Are we allowed to call at 2pm at a place and hope that they have an opening before they post it at 3pm?

SOAP ends at 2 pm and I assume our responsibility to not contact them ends as well.

I am curious to know how you didn't match first cycle, then matched to Radiology. this makes me assume that you had excellent scores, but you something went wrong with the programs rank lists' ??

And to what field did you transfer ? students are dying to get into Rads ?

One program apparently didn't get their acceptance offers in on-time for this round for me. What a joke. Would have taken it too.

There was nothing you needed to do. I'm sorry you didn't get any offers, can hope those programs still have spots in round 2.
Program directors are super sneaky, I'm sorry for putting it like that. No ethic at all.

I would contact the program, but most likely they changed their mind (or "lied", your choice of wording). Which is sad, because there is no benefit to programs to do this.

Most likely given the amount of time between rounds, programs will still be interested in people they have already reviewed.

Might as well wait, but the amount of time between rounds is short, unclear if programs will be looking at new apps. But there's no harm

One lesson learnt from SOAP , getting a call is a huge nerve wrecking thing , to add to it even if u did get a call - they can be great great great promising liars .... what do they get out of this tho ....

PS don’t put urself in SOAP guys work hard until next application , do all it takes to make ur application stand out !!

Reactions: 1 users
One lesson learnt from SOAP , getting a call is a huge nerve wrecking thing , to add to it even if u did get a call - they can be great great great promising liars .... what do they get out of this tho ....

PS don’t put urself in SOAP guys work hard until next application , do all it takes to make ur application stand out !!

I’ve seen some pretty good stats on here, excluding mine.

At 3pm ET you will be able to see the list of programs that still have unfilled spots. Then you are free to call away! Good luck!

Should we contact the program director or program coordinator? or should we just use the number given to us hoping it's the program director?

Is anyone actually going to continue applying through ERAS?? what a load of idiots.....

Anyone know if that FIndAResidendt thing they mentioned in the email is worth it?

To answer some of the questions about how to contact programs after 3PM EST, this is what my advisor told me so we could prepare for it:
1. Have all of your documents ready (ERAS application, personal statement, USMLE test scores, recommendation letters, photo). Practically, anything you make available to programs on ERAS. Though to be honest, I am not sure how to obtain recommendation letters.
2. Review the unfilled programs. I actually do not know where this information would be, maybe on NRMP or FAR (Find a Resident service from AAMC). The latter will cost $30 though.
3. Call the program (either PD or PC, whoever has a number I guess) and inquire about the validity of their unfilled spots. In the case that they indeed still have spot left, send your documents over.

We did not discuss further what would come next, but I guess we wait to be contacted by the programs and go from there. That is all the information I have. Hope it is helpful.

My heart is with you all. You are amazing and will do wonderful things in life no matter what. You have friends and families who love and support you. There are more to you and success than the outcome of this past few days.

Is anybody able to access the unfilled programs list on NRMP? I only see the offers tab..no longer see the unfilled programs list. Will it only be visible again at 3pmET?

To answer some of the questions about how to contact programs after 3PM EST, this is what my advisor told me so we could prepare for it:
1. Have all of your documents ready (ERAS application, personal statement, USMLE test scores, recommendation letters, photo). Practically, anything you make available to programs on ERAS. Though to be honest, I am not sure how to obtain recommendation letters.
2. Review the unfilled programs. I actually do not know where this information would be, maybe on NRMP or FAR (Find a Resident service from AAMC). The latter will cost $30 though.
3. Call the program (either PD or PC, whoever has a number I guess) and inquire about the validity of their unfilled spots. In the case that they indeed still have spot left, send your documents over.

We did not discuss further what would come next, but I guess we wait to be contacted by the programs and go from there. That is all the information I have. Hope it is helpful.

My heart is with you all. You are amazing and will do wonderful things in life no matter what. You have friends and families who love and support you. There are more to you and success than the outcome of this past few days.
Thank you so much!

Is anybody able to access the unfilled programs list on NRMP? I only see the offers tab..no longer see the unfilled programs list. Will it only be visible again at 3pmET?
I only see offers at this point on NRMP

logged on to ERAs to send a program my info sure enough it wants 99 to start the process again
Can you not just download the pdf of your app and send it to programs that way? I guess you still need to get your letters and transcripts and stuff to programs...idk.

For them to have the audacity to ask for money after everything that happened this week is criminal.

Reactions: 2 users
so can someone explain the pricing one more time? it's 26 bucks per program if you applied there before?
what about new programs price per program?
and is there a flat fee you pay like someone mentioned the 99 to get the process started?
can someone explain the pricing please, just seeing if it's worth making the financial investment

some programs are not even answering their phones!!! leaving vmails left and right.

some programs are not even answering their phones!!! leaving vmails left and right.

Right now probably there is a cool off period. Don't forget that coordinators are likely getting things together for people that are matched, who will likely be contacted tomorrow.

Got rejected by 3 places that apparently already filled up and got referred to other people for others.

We appreciate your interest in the Unity Health Transitional Year Program.
Even though we are listed as having unfilled spots, we will not be filling any of those additional spots this academic year.
Best wishes for your continued medical education.

We appreciate your interest in the Unity Health Transitional Year Program.
Even though we are listed as having unfilled spots, we will not be filling any of those additional spots this academic year.
Best wishes for your continued medical education.

That's why I'm saying - after all this madness, this is typically a cool down period for programs so right now there may be lack of clarity between positions posted as listed, which are really not truly available, etc. So likely until Monday not much will happen. It's unfortunate but programs prob need a little time to settle the dust at this point.