SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long do these calls/interviews usually last?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I even auditioned there and they all loved me and said they hoped to work with me in the future. I don't know how likely it is that they had a glitch on their end … but I hope so. I did re-apply so I'm looking forward to get feedback from them. I wouldn't contact them first just in case of violating the rules.

Definitely a good idea to NOT contact them first, and I would probably not be too keen on them in general. Hopefully it was a 'glitch' since we all are experiencing that firsthand with ERAS now, but it kinda sounds fishy...that with such positive feedback, and the fact they didn't fill, and you didn't get that spot. I dunno, I would probably be real pessimistic about it, but then again I just might be jaded after similar situations in the past.

What's everyone doing to pass the time? The waiting game seriously sucks, especially since we don't know when programs will be able to view our applications.

I have ERAS/NRMP /ERAS twitter open on laptop and I'm rewatching a show thats funny to calm myself down on a different tab while I wait with a cell phone charged at 99% next to me.

Reactions: 2 users
What's everyone doing to pass the time? The waiting game seriously sucks, especially since we don't know when programs will be able to view our applications.

I have fallen back to classic Friends...lol
Apparently ERAS is closed again so don't expect any calls or emails
SOAP is a total mess this year.

Reactions: 1 user
ERAS update was just emailed out. I feel like they're monitoring this forum in a way with this direct quote lol:

"In alignment with NRMP, programs are NOT allowed to request application materials outside of ERAS"

ERAS update was just emailed out. I feel like they're monitoring this forum in a way with this direct quote lol:

"In alignment with NRMP, programs are NOT allowed to request application materials outside of ERAS"
Apparently some people were being called and emailed about sending their apps via PDF

Definitely a good idea to NOT contact them first, and I would probably not be too keen on them in general. Hopefully it was a 'glitch' since we all are experiencing that firsthand with ERAS now, but it kinda sounds fishy...that with such positive feedback, and the fact they didn't fill, and you didn't get that spot. I dunno, I would probably be real pessimistic about it, but then again I just might be jaded after similar situations in the past.

Yes, I am a little salty about that to be honest. But I will remain optimistic and see what they say or if they even reach out to me. I am at a loss at why programs would make such an effort to display how much they "want you" … only to not even rank you. I don't know what happened.

Sitting around all day staring at your computer with your cortisol level through the roof is not fun!

Update from NRMP twitter: "NRMP is aware of the technical difficulties experienced by ERAS over the past 2 days and will decide at 5pm ET today whether to modify the SOAP schedule. NRMP is waiting until 5pm ET today to make its decision in order to minimize the need for any additional modifications."

Hello,

Just wanted to say I was in your position last year, I know exactly the pain and devastation you must be feeling. Hearing other people's success stories brought me comfort during that time, so I'm telling mine.

I did not get a single call during SOAP, not even for a prelim position for a program I spent ~1.5 years of medical school at. I fell into deep depression, but I picked myself up again. I somehow managed to study for and pass Step 3 in the midst of it, I met with an interview coach to understand how to better sell myself, and I applied much more broadly (additionally I kept tabs on new programs and applied as soon as they opened on ERAS). Today, I am humble and grateful to say that I matched.

I promised myself last year when I was on this thread that I was going to come back next year and post my success story. I encourage you to promise yourself that too.

My stats:
US IMG, YOG 4/2018
Step 1: 213
Step 2 CK: 235
Step 2 CS: passed on 2nd attempt
Step 3: 213

Good luck and don't give up yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
NRMP will make a decision today at 5 regarding modification of SOAP schedule.

Hello,

Just wanted to say I was in your position last year. I know exactly the pain and devastation you must be feeling. I did not get a single call during SOAP, not even for a prelim position for a program I spent ~1.5 years of medical school at. I fell into deep depression, but I picked myself up again. I somehow managed to study for and pass Step 3 in the midst of it, I met with an interview coach to understand how to better sell myself, and I applied much more broadly (additionally I kept tabs on new programs and applied as soon as they opened on ERAS). Today, I am humble and grateful to say that I matched.

I promised myself last year when I was on this thread that I was going to come back next year and post my success story. I encourage you to promise yourself that too.

My stats:
US IMG
Step 1: 213
Step 2 CK: 235
Step 2 CS: passed on 2nd attempt
Step 3: 213

Good luck and don't give up yet!

While we appreciate your story and commend you, this is really not the time and place unless you had a successful SOAP

Anyone get interview call/emails yet? For people who went through this in previous years, how long after the applications were released before you started receiving communications?

I started getting calls a couple hours after programs could see apps.

Unfortunately I didn't match PM&R this year, I am currently SOAPing for both A and R PM&R programs listed, but also have branched out to IM and FM programs too. Used maybe 33 apps, mostly to FM. I haven't received calls as of yet. I hope we all get something dude, I hate working for a clinic right now and feeling hampered by not being BE/BC, it just feels weird. At least I don't have to worry about bills like some of you since I have my unrestricted license, but know the importance of a residency in the long run.

Considering ERAS is currently down and program directors reporting not being able to see more than a single application when it opened, I would wager that no one has gotten a call unless some string are being pulled behind the scenes.

Considering ERAS is currently down and program directors reporting not being able to see more than a single application when it opened, I would wager that no one has gotten a call unless some string are being pulled behind the scenes.

which would be a match violation, no?

All of the hard work I put into medical school just to get ****ing played like this?

Hey can I ask how you got your clinic position? I’d love to do the same if I don’t match again via soap. I too already took step 3 and could get a state license.
Thanks and info would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I didn't match PM&R this year, I am currently SOAPing for both A and R PM&R programs listed, but also have branched out to IM and FM programs too. Used maybe 33 apps, mostly to FM. I haven't received calls as of yet. I hope we all get something dude, I hate working for a clinic right now and feeling hampered by not being BE/BC, it just feels weird. At least I don't have to worry about bills like some of you since I have my unrestricted license, but know the importance of a residency in the long run.

This has been one of the slowest days I've ever experienced

e52be5f.png

Reactions: 8 users
Hey can I ask how you got your clinic position? I’d love to do the same if I don’t match again via soap. I too already took step 3 and could get a state license.
Thanks and info would be appreciated.

Sure thing, I work in a small clinic outside of KCMO. Originally I was thinking about this "AP" program and joined a forum geared for that on Reddit. I was a TY from North Carolina and explained my circumstances on the app, and someone notified me that since I did have a TY I was eligible for an unrestricted state license and didn't have to be an "AP." They put me in touch with a hospital CEO who needed a physician to work in a small, sort-of rural, health clinic. I cannot explain the help that this individual and the CEO for this hospital have given me thus far, but they were able to squeeze me into their practice without BC/BE and got me credentialed with various insurances. Rural health needs primary care physicians like crazy, and although in an ideal world everyone would be BC/BE, they understand that their location isn't attracting everyone under the sun to them, so they make an effort with what they can. Needless to say, I talked to them and they worked with me and so far it's been working very well, my colleague (fully boarded FM, nearly 15 years my senior) has become both a friend and mentor. I can't say that your experience will be similar, but really networking can help, I can happily explain more in a message to those in unique situations like mine.

Reactions: 4 users
So is there any resource as to how one can look into this?
Thanks

Sure thing, I work in a small clinic outside of KCMO. Originally I was thinking about this "AP" program and joined a forum geared for that on Reddit. I was a TY from North Carolina and explained my circumstances on the app, and someone notified me that since I did have a TY I was eligible for an unrestricted state license and didn't have to be an "AP." They put me in touch with a hospital CEO who needed a physician to work in a small, sort-of rural, health clinic. I cannot explain the help that this individual and the CEO for this hospital have given me thus far, but they were able to squeeze me into their practice without BC/BE and got me credentialed with various insurances. Rural health needs primary care physicians like crazy, and although in an ideal world everyone would be BC/BE, they understand that their location isn't attracting everyone under the sun to them, so they make an effort with what they can. Needless to say, I talked to them and they worked with me and so far it's been working very well, my colleague (fully boarded FM, nearly 15 years my senior) has become both a friend and mentor. I can't say that your experience will be similar, but really networking can help, I can happily explain more in a message to those in unique situations like mine.

I prefer the Scramble. At least the student could mobilize forces and do something. Now, all they can do is wait until they are called.
The power has shifted entirely in favor of the PD's.

From the standpoint of an individual AMG with a strong support network and the help of their med school, the scramble could be more attractive.

An IMG who is three years out from a Caribbean school...not so much.

I guess a lot of the reason why SOAP was started was an attempt to be a bit more organized and fair.

The scramble worked out for me extremely well in the end and who knows (I was an AMG going for Derm)...maybe SOAP would have screwed me over if it had started a year earlier.

We are in the middle of trying to move from rolling interviews/offers to something more like a match in Dermpath. There are reasonable arguments from both sides.

Last edited:
System is back up apparently, and many people are starting to get calls. Prepare yourselves guys..

Reactions: 1 users
My buddy is going through this. Is there anything I can do to help him?

Also, I hope you guys all get a spot. This whole process is so ridiculously brutal.

good thing you got a call. im at home and would hate to have to dress up for some video call should that happen.

At this point with everything going on I doubt programs will waste more time with video interviews....but who knows

At this point with everything going on I doubt programs will waste more time with video interviews....but who knows
That's what I was thinking as well. I also hope they're not too critical that I haven't done all that much research on program-specific things to ask about during the interview.

That's what I was thinking as well. I also hope they're not too critical that I haven't done all that much research on program-specific things to ask about during the interview.

Same....I didn't think I would have time and then be able to keep everything straight. But with everything going on I probably did have time

Got a video interview scheduled for tonight. Gonna take some time to write some good questions about the program and do some research. Good luck again everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
How did it go? Was it that different from an in-person interview? Was the conversation a little relaxed, or was it to the point?
As well as a hurried interview could go. I was on speakerphone with the PD and a resident. It seemed to have some of the fluff of what you would see in a normal interview day (talking about the area, what do you like to do, we saw this in your application, etc.) but significantly more rushed. Could be in part that this program has quite a few spots to fill and they need to cut to the chase with as many people as possible.

As well as a hurried interview could go. I was on speakerphone with the PD and a resident. It seemed to have some of the fluff of what you would see in a normal interview day (talking about the area, what do you like to do, we saw this in your application, etc.) but significantly more rushed. Could be in part that this program has quite a few spots to fill and they need to cut to the chase with as many people as possible.

But how do you have time to research the program and the area during an impromptu interview? Surely it's not easy to research all 45 programs including the area. I hope they don't ask specifics. I wish I could know about each program :(

But how do you have time to research the program and the area during an impromptu interview? Surely it's not easy to research all 45 programs including the area. I hope they don't ask specifics. I wish I could know about each program :(
I meant they were telling me about the area to try and sell it. Things to do with a family, nearby national parks. Stuff like that.

I meant they were telling me about the area to try and sell it. Things to do with a family, nearby national parks. Stuff like that.

Oh great! That's good to know. So if I don't get any calls by tonight, my chances are pretty shot, correct?

Got a video interview scheduled for tonight. Gonna take some time to write some good questions about the program and do some research. Good luck again everyone!

Did they email you to set up a time or call you to set it up?

If you dont mind me asking.. how long did the whole interview take?

One call from a TY so far.

US DO applied ortho 240-245 USMLE
700 comlex 1/2

Applied soap EM, anesthesia, vascular, ortho and surgical prelims/ TY

Hope more comes!

I just got a call really short phone call less than 5 mins. It was not stressful as I thought

I just got a call really short phone call less than 5 mins. It was not stressful as I thought

That's great, man. Can you share what specialty. your status, US/IMG, etc, your scores?

prelim IM, AMG, average scores

Does anyone know how competitive prelim surgery positions are? Are they more or less competitive that preliminary IM? If I purse an advanced position, is any prelim position good, or does it need to match the route? So, do I need to do an IM prelim to get into neuro, or is a surgery prelim good as well?

From a personal experience, i can tell you that getting a surgery prelim is very easy, whether you are an AMG or IMG (Both through the MATCH or SOAP).