SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing yet for me. I had a step 2 cs failure with no new scores yet... my advisor said thats likely what derailed me in the match, and drops me to "less than a coin-flip" for SOAP.

Sorry that you are in this situation. Someone from my institution said that PDs won't take a chance on a student who didn't have passing scores when it came time to matching and getting someone into their program. That was one of the reasons why I didn't match AOA. In case that this SOAP/scramble doesn't work for you, I believe someone posted a website where you could search for open residency spots after all this madness.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI, I passed my steps on the first try and I still have no calls so don’t assume you’re not getting calls just for failing on a previous step. I’m sure it’s everything else, lol.

- I’m making fun of myself here as well. I too have nothing to report.

Reactions: 2 users
I've watched two seasons of "The League" today trying to destress.

Reactions: 1 users
What are my chances of SOAP-ing IM or FM?
US IMG, Top 4, Step 1/2 213/226 both first attempt pass and Step 2CS pass 1st attempt, no course failures
Good-great LOR for IM only 1 LOR for FM

Do the PD typically call or email 1st to set up an interview? What happens if you miss the call? Has anyone missed the initial call & called back?

Do the PD typically call or email 1st to set up an interview? What happens if you miss the call? Has anyone missed the initial call & called back?
Typically just call first. I missed one and they left a voicemail with their # so I just called back and it was not a big deal.

Can preceptors who wrote LORs for a candidate contact the program to vouch for the candidate or will it be violating the nrmp policy?

Technically it's a violation, but EVERYONE does phone calls and send emails to help their students.

Sitting terrified right now for SOAP.

Feels like theres no chance I have a job come June :(

Hang in there! it might suck right now but things tend to work out in the end. Try to keep focused for then those interviews hopefully come.

Seems like only DO peeps are getting calls from this thread, I could be wrong, but whatevs

US IMG Step 1 205 Step 2 234, Step 3 222, and I've got a year of prelim surg under my belt, didn't get a call yet, applied IM/FM for soap

Edit: Just got called for FM, goodluck everyone!

Last edited:
Technically it's a violation, but EVERYONE does phone calls and send emails to help their students.
Yes, we all do this after the student has been contacted by the program!
If this happens before contact, be prepared for blow-back.

SOAPing MS4s: this is awful and you’re allowed to mourn or be angry about it. But some of my favorite physicians (both residents and attendings) found themselves in the scramble and/or SOAP for any number of reasons. Do not let this week make you think less of yourself as a future doctor or human. And, if you’re thinking about self-harm, I beg you to not do anything you or your loved ones would regret. You can get past this week.

Reactions: 19 users
This is absolutely true. 3 years ago, I had the rug pulled out from under me. The future I had dreamed of and worked so hard for was no longer a possibility. I understand exactly how you all feel. Don’t ever give up, or make a temporary situation a permanent one. Hang in there gang. I had an advisor, who at the time who told me something to the effect of - it may be impossible for you to believe this now, but in time, you may look back on the hell you are going through now as one of the best things that ever happened to you. I couldn’t believe them at the time, but 3 years later graduating residency from a different specialty than I originally applied to, I now see that there is truth in that. I’m very happy with were I ended up, Even if it didn’t fit my plans at the time. Keep the faith.

Reactions: 7 users
I guess my remaining question is, if I only get a couple of offers in round 1 is there still a chance of offers in the subsequent rounds? Or did I "spend" all my apps on round 1 and it's that or the scramble? I just don't know if I should pounce on the first thing that pops up in round 1.
Yes you should pounce on the first thing because there is no guarantee that there will be a second thing...your goal in the soap is to get A position...if you hesitate there will be someone else for the program to turn to...unlike the mainmatch, the soap is not favoring the applicant...the power here shifts and is now in the hands of the programs

So when I was applying to programs yesterday I didn’t know you had to assign documents one by one (photo, usmle transcripts, ps), so I did that around 5:30 pm today. I think this delay has saved my application but Im freaking out as I did not received any calls today. Hope I still have a chance despite this stupid mistake.

Id have to respectfully disagree. I would rather be in charge of my own fate rather than some computer glitch
Dral is right...the scramble isn’t something I would have wished on my worst enemy...helped someone scramble and it was such a stressful day...and no you aren’t in charge on that day at all.

If the above bolded is true, perhaps they had a snafu where their rank list was never submitted. Happened at Columbia cardio a few years ago IIRC. If they still have spots, I'd try to soap into them or contact them, as long as that wouldn't violate NRMP rules (which I am very unclear on). Worth a try.
Yes that would be a soap violation... you nor anyone on your behalf cannot contact a program before they contact you.

So how does the POST SOAP process go if you are still unmatched and no SOAP?
They release a list of programs with unfilled positions on nrmp and then we are free to contact the programs without fear of match violation via telephone, email or whatever? And what do we say? Can i get your unfilled position that I saw on NRMP? Sorry for the questions that may seem silly.

That and I'm pretty sure my advocates would be more effective than my application alone is :(
That is if you even had a chance for those advocates to even be able to contact some one...
I was stressed and anxious the whole time just helping someone scramble...I can’t even begin to imaged the heart bounding steas and anxiety my poor classmate went through that day...dral’s description is spot on and yet can’t really make you feel what the scramble was like

Last edited:
This is absolutely true. 3 years ago, I had the rug pulled out from under me. The future I had dreamed of and worked so hard for was no longer a possibility. I understand exactly how you all feel. Don’t ever give up, or make a temporary situation a permanent one. Hang in there gang. I had an advisor, who at the time who told me something to the effect of - it may be impossible for you to believe this now, but in time, you may look back on the hell you are going through now as one of the best things that ever happened to you. I couldn’t believe them at the time, but 3 years later graduating residency from a different specialty than I originally applied to, I now see that there is truth in that. I’m very happy with were I ended up, Even if it didn’t fit my plans at the time. Keep the faith.

Agreed! I have had the rug pulled out from me as well throughout my medical career (I felt my world was done when I failed step 3) but most of the time things seem to work out. sometimes there are delays, roadblocks, but most people end up where they should. Don't give up to those going through a rough time! Most of us have had a rough patch at some point!

So how does the POST SOAP process go if you are still unmatched and no SOAP?
They release a list of programs with unfilled positions on nrmp and then we are free to contact the programs without fear of match violation via telephone, email or whatever? And what do we say? Can i get your unfilled position that I saw on NRMP? Sorry for the questions that may seem silly.
Basically post soap is what the scramble was but with fewer spots.

Basically post soap is what the scramble was but with fewer spots.
Is it possible to share about how to proceed and contact the post soap programs? like: what are we supposed to ask?

Yes that would be a soap violation... you nor anyone on your behalf cannot contact a program before they contact you.

Yes, that's why I gave the caveat saying "if". But applying to that program as a SOAP application wouldn't which is what my message also said. Which is what that poster should consider and I think he/she already considered it. She/he could also scramble into it if unfilled later.

Last edited:
I want to make sure I understand the SOAP process so I don't mess this up like I somehow messed up the match despite ranking 14 programs (sigh). I had 5 phone interviews today, in two different specialties (neither speciality is what I originally applied to). I am getting the feeling from talking to these program directors that they basically need to hear me commit in order to get an offer. One PD even gave me her cell phone number, told me to call/text her if I want to go there. Maybe I am just cynical based on what went down in the match, but how could I possibly trust that she isn't full of crap? Am I honestly supposed to "pick" some place and go after it or am I supposed to aggressively pursue all leads like they are all my first choice? How does this even work? Part of me is still holding on to the hope that a program in my intended specialty contacts me, but bottom line is I need to match. No research years or what not for me.

I want to make sure I understand the SOAP process so I don't mess this up like I somehow messed up the match despite ranking 14 programs (sigh). I had 5 phone interviews today, in two different specialties (neither speciality is what I originally applied to). I am getting the feeling from talking to these program directors that they basically need to hear me commit in order to get an offer. One PD even gave me her cell phone number, told me to call/text her if I want to go there. Maybe I am just cynical based on what went down in the match, but how could I possibly trust that she isn't full of crap? Am I honestly supposed to "pick" some place and go after it or am I supposed to aggressively pursue all leads like they are all my first choice? How does this even work? Part of me is still holding on to the hope that a program in my intended specialty contacts me, but bottom line is I need to match. No research years or what not for me.

So I’m a 2nd year DO student so take my comment with a grain of salt. However, I read through all of the SDN and reddit SOAP threads and the NMRP official SOAP guides. So maybe since I’m not so close to it I can share what I’ve noticed... The concensus seems to be to enthusiastically tell every interviewer that you will absolutely pick them and would love to go there. AKA they might be lying to you and just play the game. Good luck to you! Hope you get many first round offers!

So I’m a 2nd year DO student so take my comment with a grain of salt. However, I read through all of the SDN and reddit SOAP threads and the NMRP official SOAP guides. So maybe since I’m not so close to it I can share what I’ve noticed... The concensus seems to be to enthusiastically tell every interviewer that you will absolutely pick them and would love to go there. AKA they might be lying to you and just play the game. Good luck to you! Hope you get many first round offers!
I understand doing this during the normal app cycle, but this is a different beast for all parties involved and honestly seems like a shyte thing to do. If a program has 1 spot they have to pick 2 names and that's it (now that theres only 2 rounds of soap) otherwise they go to scramble. To do this you are completely screwing over multiple programs, should they pick you, in a way that is much more personal than in the match. Not to mention other applicants who genuinely will take that spot. I can see why programs want to hear "if you give me this spot I WILL take it."

Despite having 4 interviews yesterday with a program the PD told me they want to talk to me again tomorrow night to "get a feel of where I stand with them" I assume for the exact reasons above. It makes sense especially when you try to empathize with them, which I realize is really hard to do given that we are all here because we got burned by programs.

Just some food for thought for you guys out there. We're all in this mess together.

I understand doing this during the normal app cycle, but this is a different beast for all parties involved and honestly seems like a shyte thing to do. If a program has 1 spot they have to pick 2 names and that's it (now that theres only 2 rounds of soap) otherwise they go to scramble. To do this you are completely screwing over multiple programs, should they pick you, in a way that is much more personal than in the match. Not to mention other applicants who genuinely will take that spot. I can see why programs want to hear "if you give me this spot I WILL take it."

Despite having 4 interviews yesterday with a program the PD told me they want to talk to me again tomorrow night to "get a feel of where I stand with them" I assume for the exact reasons above. It makes sense especially when you try to empathize with them, which I realize is really hard to do given that we are all here because we got burned by programs.

Just some food for thought for you guys out there. We're all in this mess together.

Trust me I get it, from both sides. I am really not one to spew a bunch of nonsense either. But I fear that if I pick a program to focus my attention on, there is a chance jokes on me and I end up with nothing. This is literally like one long nightmare. Anyways, good luck to all in this awful position.

Trust me I get it, from both sides. I am really not one to spew a bunch of nonsense either. But I fear that if I pick a program to focus my attention on, there is a chance jokes on me and I end up with nothing. This is literally like one long nightmare. Anyways, good luck to all in this awful position.
There are multiple rounds for a reason. Plus we don’t know how shady the PDs are. A lot of us got burned by a PD to be in this mess. Tell them you’re gonna go there. You’ll accept an offer when they give it to you because you really don’t know how many offers you’ll get.

I wish there was a selection criteria that focuses on the quality of candidates based on their desire to serve humanity. At the end of the day we will accomplish our goal no matter how rough the ride is. We made it this far because we are strong. We will not rest until we get there. Let’s be mindful of the pain our family and friends are going through and cheer them up despite our pain. That’s what we signed up for when we decided to take up this challenging career. Care for others and forget self pitying.

Up again and ready to wait.

Going to be the longest day ever

Thanks to everyone who’s posting hopeful messages. It’s currently the only thing keeping me going. This process is brutal and I hope we all get what we want.

Has anyone gotten any phone calls yet this morning?

Interview tip. This may be obvious but if any program asks if you’ve received any other calls say NO. I made the mistake last year of not realizing why they asked me. I was taken aback and out of not knowing what else to say and not wanting to lie I said yes (thinking they were just gauging other programs’ interest in me). I realized later that they asked me this to see how likely It was I would accept their first round offer. They want to fill in the first round as much as we want to get an offer in the first round. Even though I received another offer, I may not have had to move if I answered that question with a simple “No”. I hope you all get lots of calls today!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Interview tip. This may be obvious but if any program asks if you’ve received any other calls say NO. I made the mistake last year of not realizing why they asked me. I was taken aback and out of not knowing what else to say and not wanting lie I said yes (thinking they were just gauging other programs’ interest in me). I realized later that they asked me this to see how likely It was I would accept their first round offer. They want to fill in the first round as much as we want to get an offer in the first round. Even though I received another offer, I may not have had to move if I answered that question with a simple “No”. I hope you all get lots of calls today!

Thank you!

From peoples past experience what is the interview to offer ratio?

From peoples past experience what is the interview to offer ratio?

I had 6 interviews, 1 email. 1 offer in round 1. But I know that some people with the same amount who had 2 or even 3 offers...

Thanks to everyone who’s posting hopeful messages. It’s currently the only thing keeping me going. This process is brutal and I hope we all get what we want.

Has anyone gotten any phone calls yet this morning?
No calls for me yet.
Same is true for me that it’s the support of my family and fellow SOAPers that keeps me going. I don’t care what race, religion, or national origin, I wish you the best of luck and success. I love you all becomes you are good people regardless of how this season ends.

Reactions: 4 users