SOAP 2020 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just heard someone on reddit got 3 offers in round 2 and he only interviewed with 1 of them.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I am so sorry that you guys have to go through all of these during this chaotic time!!! My heart goes to all of you! For those who just got a position, congrats! For those who have not, please don't lose hope yet. There are still round 2 and 3 and then scramble and then next year.

Also this may be cold comfort to you guys right now! But this year might be the year that scramble might be viable! Programs are being overwhelmed right now with the pandemic that they might not give this process their all. This, however, is my speculation.

Though I have been in talk with my seniors and chief residents, they all mentioned that due to the pandemic the PDs at home programs are really worried about their rank list. Many of them have ranked Non-US IMG and it is possible that they might not get their visa on-time due to what's going on. So, positions might be on the offer again when the time coms. This is especially true for Internal medicine traditionally have many non-US IMG. So, for USIMG and AMG, there are still many things to look forward.

Regardless, I wish you all the best! You are all brilliant people; you were just dealt a horrible deck!
Yes thats true, but keep in mind many programs ranked IMG are already willing to take the risk and wait for their residents, or they wouldn’t rank them from the first.
There is people who always start late because of visa issues, don’t forget many programs can use your vacation and delay your starting day by a whole month, last year a resident started his residency mid September.
But in the end it is all program/department dependent as I read online so I don’t want to put my hopes up, they deserved it in the end the way many AMGs deserved it.

Yes thats true, but keep in mind many programs ranked IMG are already willing to take the risk and wait for their residents, or they wouldn’t rank them from the first.
There is people who always start late because of visa issues, don’t forget many programs can use your vacation and delay your starting day by a whole month, last year a resident started his residency mid September.
But in the end it is all program/department dependent as I read online so I don’t want to put my hopes up, they deserved it in the end the way many AMGs deserved it.

You are correct and I am not bashing IMG at all. I am hoping the best for everyone. I am just sayint that is what I heard about my middle-of-the-road home school in the midwest that traditionally takes sizable IMGs. The PD is worried about being hit with pandemic with less hand-on deck come July 1.

Also, it is true; programs already know and accept the risk of ranking IMG but no one expected a pandemic and the possibility of visa problems resulting from it.

Reactions: 2 users
Also that is 1 resident who starts late. If a program has several imgs who can’t make it, they may have to replace them so the work can get done.

Let's not spread panic - right now everything and just about every industry is up in the air with lots of uncertainty - we don't know what will happen in the future but if we go by China's example, hopefully ina month or two things should hopefully start getting better and life should hopefully get more back to normal.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing is going to happen. IMGS who matched spent thousands of dollars and programs know that so it is very impossible to tell them you can’t join now even after matched. I know it is little harsh but it’s true. I’ve accepted I didn’t match and have to try again. Probably they’ll make a policy like everyone who matched have to go for certain screening before coming here. That’s it. I hope and praying they do something for those who unmatched. Honestly looking at this situation I want to let them know I’m here to help I’m a physician but I can’t do anything as I’m not licensed even though my people need me I can’t do anything:(

Nothing is going to happen. IMGS who matched spent thousands of dollars and programs know that so it is very impossible to tell them you can’t join now even after matched. I know it is little harsh but it’s true. I’ve accepted I didn’t match and have to try again. Probably they’ll make a policy like everyone who matched have to go for certain screening before coming here. That’s it. I hope and praying they do something for those who unmatched. Honestly looking at this situation I want to let them know I’m here to help I’m a physician but I can’t do anything as I’m not licensed even though my people need me I can’t do anything:(

If you are unable to show up for your program within a specified time frame, those programs are able to release you without penalty. They don't really care how much money you may have spent trying to match, to be honest. Now will every program release those who can't make it? Certainly not, but some may, depending on how many future residents aren't able to show up and they need the manpower.

Reactions: 5 users
Program directors got access to ERAS for applications at 3PM. We also have clinical duties, and there's this thing called "COVID-19" that's causing some disruptions.

You're not going to get interview calls in the first few hours. I know that this seems like a time crunch, but one of the good things about SOAP is that there is no rush to contact applicants. We have all of tomorrow, and Wed AM to do so. PD's will likely start reviewing applications today, and I expect some will start reaching out tonight or tomorrow.

Regarding some questions:

Should I use all of my apps now, or save some for later?

There's no right answer. You should absolutely use MOST of them now. The problem is that after the first round is over, programs don't really have enough time to look at new applications, although some PD's might. And after the 2nd round almost everything is gone. So I would use at least 40 of your applications now. In prior years, some people used all 45 at the beginning and then at the end of round 1 had no spot and all of those programs had filled, and wished they had saved some applications -- but unclear if applying to spots that are still open is really useful at all.

Should I write a new PS?

You probably don't have time, so I would just use what you have. Not to mention that one of your LOR's is likely a department letter and tells what field you were originally applying for, so it's not like you can hide it (not an issue if you're SOAPing into the same field). Feel free to add a sentence.

Which programs should I apply to?

This is the big question. I can't answer that for you, but I can talk about what this is like from the PD side. If you're applying to a categorical / advanced program, Id prefer someone who is actually interested in the field or at lest something related. If you applied to FM and try to SOAP into ortho, that's not likely to be successful. I'm looking for people whom seem very likely to come to my program. In the match, I just rank everyone in the order I want them and don't need to worry about how much they want to come. But in SOAP, I only get to give out one offer per open slot I have, and if they decline and take another offer, everyone in the first round who took an offer is off the table. So I'm looking for a sure thing. Geography, fit, experiences are all important. I know this is vague and not very helpful, but it's the best I have.

Good luck everyone.
I just want to thank you for always answering questions on here.

Reactions: 3 users
If you are unable to show up for your program within a specified time frame, those programs are able to release you without penalty. They don't really care how much money you may have spent trying to match, to be honest. Now will every program release those who can't make it? Certainly not, but some may, depending on how many future residents aren't able to show up and they need the manpower.
Thank you for sharing it I didn’t know about that. Hopefully, we can do something for our country people in this difficult time.

So most likely won't be getting a SOAP offer. How do we apply to programs after the SOAP is over? Is it through ERAS or do I email them individually? Thanks guys.

You can reach out directly to the unfulfilled programs after Friday.
Incorrect you can reach out to programs Thursday 11am ET, which is after round 3 SOAP ends.(I stand corrected, its 12pm ET per the rules which is also when the updated list of unfilled programs is released. One hour after SOAP ends).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

There's a difference between taking a small risk a visa will be denied or delayed and you end up with 13/15 residents. And ending up with 0/15 residents due to a pandemic and travel restrictions that last till the end of August, maybe later.

I don't think this is comparable to past years in the slightest.

Last edited:
This is a soap thread to support applicants who unfortunately in the present situation regardless VISA status. Let us be supportive of them right now to pass through this black hole. While applicants, especially non-US IMG need to be cognizant of the visa pitfall, let us debate that topic at later date and be as supportive as we can presently for this unfortunate situation.

No one, certainly not the IMGs, can predict the pandemic when they apply.

Tomorrow afternoon, should we call the program or write the email? Can they handle high volume calls?

"Manpower"?

for those looking at family med, I got nothing first round, then 5 on the second round, contact every program that interviewed you that still has a spot and tell them you want to go there. Good luck everyone

• Wow
for those looking at family med, I got nothing first round, then 5 on the second round, contact every program that interviewed you that still has a spot and tell them you want to go there. Good luck everyone
Thank you, and Congrats!
Please can you share your credentials?

"Manpower"?

That is the correct usage of the word and does not signify gender...

giphy.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Tomorrow afternoon, should we call the program or write the email? Can they handle high volume calls?

I'm not a PD, but I would say that probably you need to give it a little bit of time fo rthings to settle down - it's very chaotic for programs at this time, and some programs wait until dust settles before seeing if they might fill positions that they have - sometimes they wait, sometimes they don't. It's a difficult time for sure

After SOAP. Where can i find unfilled IM and FM programs outside ERAS to apply independently?
There are multiple sources- word of mouth via your med school/peers and keep a look out for new programs that are opening. There are programs that get approved after Match/SOAP is over and there are spots that open up when people who matched can't take their spots. There are also websites that programs contact to get the word out when they have a new spot available. The important thing to remember is that you have to keep an eye out and jump on a spot as fast as possible because they do not last long. It was either Friedas or the list on ERAS where you can keep a look out for the addition of new programs. Even if the program is not going through the Match, they may still accept your application on ERAS. Good luck!

Incorrect you can reach out to programs Thursday 11am ET, which is after round 3 SOAP ends.

Also incorrect—you need to wait til noon on Thursday according to nrmp otherwise it’s a violation...not worth it when you could just wait that hour. They won’t be picking people in under an hour of sending in the apps lol

Someone commented on reddit this, it’s interesting. Anyone have any input:

“Does anyone know if you do a non-acgme accredited program (1 year) does that count towards your licensure? Can you become a licensed physician after? (this for a US grad--not IMG)”

Someone commented on reddit this, it’s interesting. Anyone have any input:

“Does anyone know if you do a non-acgme accredited program (1 year) does that count towards your licensure? Can you become a licensed physician after? (this for a US grad--not IMG)”
Yes, i ~33 US states.

If you are an IMG, only Puerto Rico will license you. Then you might be able to work for the federal government (eg, Indian Health Service).

Non-ACGME does not apply. I did not see that part.

Yes, i ~33 US states.

If you are an IMG, only Puerto Rico will license you. Then you might be able to work for the federal government (eg, Indian Health Service).

The state of GA will license you if you are a St Goerge's University grad

So any unaccredited residency still lets you practice in 33 states—that’s crazy!

I cannot believe I had to SOAP. I am a US senior. No red flag other than a failed shelf (nobody even noticed it). Hx of awful interview skills (sad).
I am an average/slightly above average applicant that mostly interviewed at very competitive programs in the most desirable locations. That is probably why I did not match.
I did not update this thread earlier because I was on the phone the entire day yesterday. The latest interview I received was 10pm EST.
Anyway I received 10 interviews, and finished 8. 2 did not call me when they were supposed to call me. They are both programs in the epicenters.
I received 1 offer in round 1 and I took it.
It was not ideal but I am pleased with the result. I SOAPed into a university categorical program in my preferred specialty!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
after the unfilled programs list het updated. Do we call the program first of apply via ERAS?

after the unfilled programs list het updated. Do we call the program first of apply via ERAS?

Yes. The updated list of unfilled programs will be released at 12pm ET Thursday(Today) and applicants can begin contacting unfilled programs then. The schedule doesn't say how but I would call and email. "Hi this is so and so, I am very interested in your program. This is my ERAS ID and I have sent my information (ERAS application and supporting documents-that you can send via email) to the following emails......both PD and coordinator if you can). Remember to add your ERAS ID in the email so that they can go in and look. Basically give them all the information they need so that no time is wasted between asking for more information and looking at the next persons application. You may get voicemails, which I would leave voicemails, all gloves are off at this point. Also call multiple times- a balance between effective and nagging. Make sure you practice what you are going to say before you call and make sure you sound enthusiastic.

Last edited:

I would call and email. Leave voicemails if needed. It's your career. All gloves are off at this time. They will be even more busy on Friday when they find out the names of people who matched.

Hey guys, I hope someone can answer my question.

Is there a way for people who did not participate in the match (but have eras ID and application ready) to look at the unfilled positions in the nrmp r3 system after soap ends today at 12 pm? Or is this some kind of a violation?

Thanks

I am bursting out in tears but life gotta move on. Lets bombard the residency programs with our final ammos.

Hey guys, I know this is a tough time for everyone, I implore you guys to soldier up. I myself didn't match neither did I get a spot during the first two rounds of SOAP and I reckon the same applies to the third round. In light of the current circumstances, I want you guys to know positions from Non-SOAP programs and remnant SOAP unfilled positions do become available on NRMP R3 system under "unfilled programs" section till May 1st, 2020 11:59pm ET. After the above time period, the list of unfilled positions will no longer be available on NRMP site but you may still search for unfilled positions on other sites, which I will try posting here after 12 PM (noon) ET tomorrow for interested parties. I will also post a list of medically related opportunities for unmatched medical graduates, A few to keep in mind include, Research assistant (Check glassdoor, indeed.com, facebook job section, NIH postdoc research opportunities for availability or institutional sites of university hospitals), medical scribe, Transplant coordinator, clinic assistant, freelance USMLE tutor, pharmaceutical representative, Step 2CS coordinator/Step 2CS standardized patient/Live online teaching assistant etc.. for third party USMLE prep organizations like Kaplan, Physician assistant(in certain states), teaching job at a college (most likely community college; Courses like: Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry, Biology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Medical ethics/Medical humanities, Immunology, Neuroscience, Neurophysiology etc..). You can apply to work in a college medical advisory team and help counsel and direct prospective medical school applicants and MCAT candidates. I tried reaching out to some of these places during the regular application season but most of them are not really open to sponsor a work visa for IMGs; so it seems it will be more favorable to US grads or US IMGs. Although, it won't hurt for non-US IMGs to give it a shot as well as you never know what can happen.

From my knowledge, ECFMG does sponsor the J1 research scholar visa for Non-US IMGs and some research institutions have been designated by the Department of State (DoS) to sponsor the J1 research scholar visa to Non-US IMGs too. Although, ensure the J1 research scholar you obtain is not capped with the 2 year home country requirement (some J1 research scholar visa are capped while some are not; check ECFMG site for more details on that) or contact ECFMG for more clarifications.

For resources and third party organizations providing sub-internship, externship and observership experiences, visit the site below:
You can also reach out to university hospitals for availability, with regards to research and externship/clinical experiences via their official site on the web.

I understand that this is a major setback and a difficult moment for most of us, but keep in mind that you will eventually practice as a Physician someday and I am sure you will use that opportunity to positively impact people's lives. You have come this far, so don't give up.

For the meantime, let's try keeping in touch with love ones to alleviate the storm :).

If anyone has any other suggestions or propositions, feel free to add.

Thank you so much for your words, before reading it I didn't know I needed it

Yes. The updated list of unfilled programs will be released at 12pm ET Thursday(Today) and applicants can begin contacting unfilled programs then. The schedule doesn't say how but I would call and email. "Hi this is so and so, I am very interested in your program. This is my ERAS ID and I have sent my information (ERAS application and supporting documents-that you can send via email) to the following emails......both PD and coordinator if you can). Remember to add your ERAS ID in the email so that they can go in and look. Basically give them all the information they need so that no time is wasted between asking for more information and looking at the next persons application. You may get voicemails, which I would leave voicemails, all gloves are off at this point. Also call multiple times- a balance between effective and nagging. Make sure you practice what you are going to say before you call and make sure you sound enthusiastic.

Thanks! i was really wondering what to say when i send the email to catch their attention in the best way possible. Any other recommendation out there?

Thanks! i was really wondering what to say when i send the email to catch their attention in the best way possible. Any other recommendation out there?

It's going to be a lot of work. But describing yourself if the most positive way. Saying why you want their program-go to their website and look up their mission statement pairing it with your goals and passions. e.g their commitment to the underserved------, research------, global health ---- etc. What makes you unique?

Hey guys, I hope someone can answer my question.

Is there a way for people who did not participate in the match (but have eras ID and application ready) to look at the unfilled positions in the nrmp r3 system after soap ends today at 12 pm? Or is this some kind of a violation?

Thanks

I believe they will release the unfilled program list to the public at noon, anyone will have access to. So you can start contacting programs then. Correction: looks like the list is only accessible to the unmatched or partially matched applicants.

Last edited:
So, we have to start contact them at 12 ET, so in 1 hr from now. No at 11am so now?

Where is the list of Unfilled programs? I just checked no option is coming:(

It's going to be a lot of work. But describing yourself if the most positive way. Saying why you want their program-go to their website and look up their mission statement pairing it with your goals and passions. e.g their commitment to the underserved------, research------, global health ---- etc. What makes you unique?
Hi, Can you clarify little bit of confusion I have. Are you saying we both call and send out emails along with supporting documents downloaded from myeras. Or we pay the eras application fee and then email and call the program to notify that we also submitted an eras application for them. Would you please clarify this for me. thanks

US-IMG went unmatched in EM

got a surg prelim this morning and feel blessed

thanks guys

Reactions: 4 users