SOAP 2020 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the list available only to those in NRMP? Is there any way for public to access it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Is the list available only to those in NRMP? Is there any way for public to access it?

I would also like to know this. If someone can please tell if people who did not participate in the nrmp match this year can still access the list of unfilled programs from now until June?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
When Im trying to apply on ERAS to unfilled positions I see this message, but isn't SOAP over?
"Your selections exceed the remaining count of programs you are allowed to apply/reapply during SOAP"

Hi, Can you clarify little bit of confusion I have. Are you saying we both call and send out emails along with supporting documents downloaded from myeras. Or we pay the eras application fee and then email and call the program to notify that we also submitted an eras application for them. Would you please clarify this for me. thanks
I would call and/or email. If you call and speak with someone, follow up with an email. As far as documentation/MyERAS goes maybe an attending or PD can answer this question since they will need to view the LOR's in the system. Or someone who has matched post SOAP.
Also go on reddit, look up "r/medicalschool" there are a lot of people commenting who are applying(under SOAP 2020) and can maybe answer your question

Last edited:
I would also like to know this. If someone can please tell if people who did not participate in the nrmp match this year can still access the list of unfilled programs from now until June?

Thanks
Looks like it is public tomorrow
  • NRMP Match Outcome for All Institutions by State (Available on Mar 20, 2020 12:00:00 PM)

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks
No, you have to have registered in nrmp and submitted a ROL (even if you had no choices) to get access to the unfilled list and participate in soap

In case any IMGs here were worried about visas, look here:

in person stuff is off the table, but applications will continue to be processed, for now atleast.

Guys, I can't apply to programs I applied to during the SOAP as there is no icon to save the program and apply. Does that mean I just need to notify them via email because I can't reach them via phone.

You've already applied. Feel free to contact and inquire if they are still filling the position.

Guys, I can't apply to programs I applied to during the SOAP as there is no icon to save the program and apply. Does that mean I just need to notify them via email because I can't reach them via phone.
Did you interview at those places and they went unfilled? That means they didn’t rank you if you ranked them...doubt that would be a good use of your application

got a prelim surgery spot, but 7 degrees kevin bacon know the owner of a hospital with an advanced spot of a very competitive specialty

should i try to finagle something here ?

got a prelim surgery spot, but 7 degrees kevin bacon know the owner of a hospital with an advanced spot of a very competitive specialty

should i try to finagle something here ?

Why are you asking us? Get on the phone and get to it! If it’s very competitive it might go to someone who originally applied for that specialty, but it doesn’t hurt to try!

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, we have to pay again to apply to each program; but I couldn't apply to some either because I applied to them already during SOAP/regular season or they've stopped accepting applications. Although, I have sent an email to them since I couldn't reach them via phone.
Regarding the cost of each program for the ones I had to pay, the first two cost 26 USD precisely but the third (a university program) cost 99 USD. I don't know if the latter was some form of glitch:unsure: but I know after refreshing the page, the price didn't change. The same thing occurred when I tried applying to another university program in another specialty.

There is not a lot of time. If you want to apply you have to act fast, coz the spots keep decreasing by the minute. Check NRMP list.

American DO resident that didn't match last year to ortho, scrambled into a TY, improved my app a lot got a bunch of anesthesia interviews and didn't match that either. How ridiculous to be in this mess twice. Got 8 calls last year and not a single one this year. I have good board scores, good evals, MPH, and multiple research experiences. VP of my class.
OMG I am so sorry, this process is mind-blowingly unfair, I hope you find something!

For those who are able to secure positions post SOAP, could you please walk us through what your strategy was and how you were able to secure a spot so fast? I'm sure it would help me and other candidates a lot if we have to face this situation again. Thank you!

Yes, we have to pay again to apply to each program; but I couldn't apply to some either because I applied to them already during SOAP/regular season or they've stopped accepting applications. Although, I have sent an email to them since I couldn't reach them via phone.
Regarding the cost of each program for the ones I had to pay, the first two cost 26 USD precisely but the third (a university program) cost 99 USD. I don't know if the latter was some form of glitch:unsure: but I know after refreshing the page, the price didn't change. The same thing occurred when I tried applying to another university program in another specialty.

$26 for each additional app in the same field after 31
$99 for a new field. Would include 9 more apps in that same field.

Hi, Can you clarify little bit of confusion I have. Are you saying we both call and send out emails along with supporting documents downloaded from myeras. Or we pay the eras application fee and then email and call the program to notify that we also submitted an eras application for them. Would you please clarify this for me. thanks

followup: I came across this answered by a PD regarding documentation to send.

Let me just say that SOAP this year looks much better than last year. If anyone has the chance to read SOAP 2019's comments, you would think it's the apocalypse. I believe that last year there were 2 rounds instead of 3. It was horrible. Best of luck to everyone! Remember that this is not the end of anyone's career if you don't match by tomorrow. Programs open up left and right. You just have to check SDN or findaresident website daily.

Last edited:
this is a totally rip off. One program told me they sill have one spot and I had to apply thru eras in order to apply. 2 mins later, I emailed her that I paid the fee and I was told the spot was taken already. Spent another 300 on eras with nothing coming out of it.

• Sad
That's very bad . I really sympathize with you. Some programs are abusing our desperation.

this is a totally rip off. One program told me they sill have one spot and I had to apply thru eras in order to apply. 2 mins later, I emailed her that I paid the fee and I was told the spot was taken already. Spent another 300 on eras with nothing coming out of it.
Damn man, I really feel this. Sorry this happened to you.

For those who are able to secure positions post SOAP, could you please walk us through what your strategy was and how you were able to secure a spot so fast? I'm sure it would help me and other candidates a lot if we have to face this situation again. Thank you!

I just want to start off by saying that whatever your outcome was during this cycle, it does not define you. You all are highly educated, driven individuals who will end up where you need to be..there might be some obstacles in the way to get there, but you already proven that you are resilient by getting this far.

I too was discouraged on Monday when I found out I didn’t match. I am an excellent student, top of class , dual MPH, research, worked throughout medical school, fantastic letters.. and I did not match... I was also shocked to find out some of the top students in my class who are by far more deserving than myself also did not match. I was hurt and felt embarrassed because I applied for IM and 3 of the programs I interviewed at had leftover spots in the Soap meaning they didn’t rank me at all.

i was very fortunate during the SOAP to be offered a position in the first round in IM in my home state.. was I lucky? Maybe. But I also think my strategy in applying definitely helped me out.. luckily I’m from Florida with a lot of programs.However most of those programs were “HCA” and this past cycle they were given guidelines and cutoffs for who they could rank. Basically if you scored anything below 500 comlex or any fails ( not sure about usmle scores) they couldn’t rank you.. a lot of the programs I interviewed at were HCA and I scored below a 500 on level 2 and therefore I could not be ranked even if they liked me... I was hesitant to reapply to those programs in the soap because I thought I might be wasting applicatioms but I actually got calls so it appears that during soap those guidelines are waved I guess, don’t know if that will change next year but keep that in mind if that stopped you from
Applying to programs that you knew had cutoff requirements.. Hopefully no one here will have to soap again next year but if you do I highly suggest looking at programs in Florida because there are community hospitals everywhere...

Apart from this, I split my 45 applications between IM and Family. I had to be realistic with myself. I had friends who used all 45 in the same specialty ( surgery) and did not get any phone calls.. if your end goal is to become a physician, pick another speciality unless you really would be miserable.

I had many phone calls from programs in other states..I seemed to have the most phone calls from programs in Virginia, West Virginia, and Georgia.( Mind you these programs were rural and I knew it) .. I would say maybe 8 phone calls between those states... so if you didn’t apply there, maybe consider those states. I ended up with offers from Virginia as well even tho it’s not my home state..

Anyhow, I guess I’m saying apply in the South/Eastern States because that’s where I got the most calls although I applied literally everywhere. I also made sure to apply to programs with 3+ more spots available, in rural areas and kept it to IM and Family.. and apparently something every program complimented me on was my question to them of “ why do you think your program went unfilled” ...

You will come out stronger and end up where you belong. Stay positive. You are worthy!

Last edited:
Sorry to those who haven't matched yet and good luck in the next match cycle.
Things you may do:
1- Check for any newly accredited programs on ACGME website (you could filter the programs based on the specialty, and see who does have initial accreditation, or whatsoever ). Contact those programs and see if they are welling to accept residents now instead of waiting till next match cycle.

2- Apply for non-ACGME accredited fellowships. You can do some of those even without residency back home. Some fellowships have spots remains unfilled. The programs would rather have the spots being filled with someone that can do the work instead of having the job done by the attendings themselves. I am aware about certain sub-specialties that offer that. It counts as a great clinical experience and you can prove yourself while doing it. Please be advised that doing this fellowship wouldn't count as a PGY-1 position of residency. Yes, you will be sponsored by the GME office, and you will be having training medical license for that kind of fellowship, but you will not be set for transferring to PGY-2 position, nor count as prelim year, nor be eligible for primary boards. Those fellowships (pre-residency) would still count as normal fellowship training, and you don't have to repeat fellowship after residency if you have interest in the same sub-specialty. However, some of the sub-specialty boards requires an ACGME accredited fellowship, so in that case you would need to repeat the fellowship.

3- Look for research fellowship positions (could be paid or unpaid).

4- Look for a degree program (MPH/MBA/Master Science ...etc). Those would be great addition to have in your gap year if you can afford paying the tuition fees.

Don't waste your time doing other kind of things like observerships or working for private practice as an assistant. If you are working to support yourself then its different story. Those things don't count as clinical experience, and you can't prove yourself and your abilities with doing observership (except if you showed great personality, and have already great USMLE scores).

Will having an MPH/Masters in Health Care Administration help though for next cycle? I was leaning towards finding a scribe or assistant physician position because I was thinking clinical experience is better than a masters.
I definitely think MPH/and other kind of Masters much more useful. Working as a scribe or assistant may give you some cash, wouldn't count as experience at all.

Sorry to those who haven't matched yet and good luck in the next match cycle.
Things you may do:
1- Check for any newly accredited programs on ACGME website (you could filter the programs based on the specialty, and see who does have initial accreditation, or whatsoever ). Contact those programs and see if they are welling to accept residents now instead of waiting till next match cycle.

2- Apply for non-ACGME accredited fellowships. You can do some of those even without residency back home. Some fellowships have spots remains unfilled. The programs would rather have the spots being filled with someone that can do the work instead of having the job done by the attendings themselves. I am aware about certain sub-specialties that offer that. It counts as a great clinical experience and you can prove yourself while doing it. Please be advised that doing this fellowship wouldn't count as a PGY-1 position of residency. Yes, you will be sponsored by the GME office, and you will be having training medical license for that kind of fellowship, but you will not be set for transferring to PGY-2 position, nor count as prelim year, nor be eligible for primary boards. Those fellowships (pre-residency) would still count as normal fellowship training, and you don't have to repeat fellowship after residency if you have interest in the same sub-specialty. However, some of the sub-specialty boards requires an ACGME accredited fellowship, so in that case you would need to repeat the fellowship.

3- Look for research fellowship positions (could be paid or unpaid).

4- Look for a degree program (MPH/MBA/Master Science ...etc). Those would be great addition to have in your gap year if you can afford paying the tuition fees.

Don't waste your time doing other kind of things like observerships or working for private practice as an assistant. If you are working to support yourself then its different story. Those things don't count as clinical experience, and you can't prove yourself and your abilities with doing observership (except if you showed great personality, and have already great USMLE scores).

HI thank you so much for the detailed information. I am not sure how to check for the newly accredited programs in ACGME could you break it into step by step process if you dont mind please.

Hmm really? I read some articles online that were saying programs will be wary of you not having any clinical experience for a year though. How can you get clinical experience if you didn't do scribing or assistant physician in Missouri?

If you haven't graduated yet, delaying graduation would be the only way to still get clinical experience.

If you haven't graduated yet, delaying graduation would be the only way to still get clinical experience.

-Electives during your medical school.
-Sub-Internships/Externships after graduation (limited positions in the country, mainly in Washington DC). There was a program named Providence hospital in DC which closed it's residency program last year. Not sure if its still functional. Another psychiatry program in DC is known to offer externships in Psychiatry and hire the externs as residents.

-Non-ACGME accredited clinical fellowships (look for Geriatric medicine fellowships, sub-specialties in Neurology (Epilepsy/Neurophysiology/Neuroimmunology/Autonomic disorders/Headache).
-Courses and workshops will be good add

-Research fellowships and making 1-2 publication per year at the field of your interest will be influential towards the residency program of your choice.

Other things like assistant, medical billing or type the medical notes really not that helpful. Infact, some clinics would take advantage of the applicant's situation to have them work as cheap labor.

-Electives during your medical school.
-Sub-Internships/Externships after graduation (limited positions in the country, mainly in Washington DC). There was a program named Providence hospital in DC which closed it's residency program last year. Not sure if its still functional. Another psychiatry program in DC is known to offer externships in Psychiatry and hire the externs as residents.

-Non-ACGME accredited clinical fellowships (look for Geriatric medicine fellowships, sub-specialties in Neurology (Epilepsy/Neurophysiology/Neuroimmunology/Autonomic disorders/Headache).
-Courses and workshops will be good add

-Research fellowships and making 1-2 publication per year at the field of your interest will be influential towards the residency program of your choice.

Other things like assistant, medical billing or type the medical notes really not that helpful. Infact, some clinics would take advantage of the applicant's situation to have them work as cheap labor.

Those can all be nice, but they aren't really the clinical experience that residency programs would look for. Certainly something is better than nothing, though.

Anyone getting calls from unfilled programs?

Did any of the UN MATCHED had Referees call for them supporting their application? Please reply with yes or no. If unmatched had no referees called for them than we can rule in that it is one of the factors! Thanks!

This isn't the 90s anymore. You can't have people call on your behalf till after the last soap round finishes, or they call you for an interview. Programs can technically get in big trouble for that.

Thanks for this. I finished all my M4 requirements so don't think I have the option to extend graduation, maybe if I do an online MHA/MPH. The issue is that my Step attempts are what prevented my match so I feel that graduating and taking Step 3 and passing would be the most beneficial. Theoretically, I'm thinking of graduating in May, taking Step 3, and doing an online Masters in Health Care Administration through my school while volunteering/working at a local clinic to keep up my clinical experience. I looked at externships but most seem geared towards US-IMGs and require 5-6 months commitment. I feel like if I do no clinic then programs would question that,

You should talk with your school dean about extending graduation. That allows you to still get clinical experience/more letters. A MHA/MPH won't add too much for you. Step 3 may help marginally, but applying as a senior student will probably help more.

Hello guys, I am currently researching programs with spots in IM. Would like to know: are the chances for fellowship the same for those doing the primary care track as those doing the categorical track?

Thank you for your response.

Hello guys, I am currently researching programs with spots in IM. Would like to know: are the chances for fellowship the same for those doing the primary care track as those doing the categorical track?

Thank you for your response.
It will depend on the program. In general, yes. But some Primary care residencies have much less time on critical care or inpatient services. And often the leadership of the program will want you to go into PC, so if you arrive and in your first 2 months say "So I want to be a cardiologist..." you may not get great support.

It also depends on the field. If you want one of the "outpatient" fellowships - Endo, Rheum, etc -- some PC tracts will be perfectly fine with that.

Dude, after the interview, they can. I don’t think you have credentials to be so sure.

Yes, AFTER you get an interview, you can contact them and ask others to contact them on your behalf. If you look at the quote you made of what I said, I explicitally said: "after the last soap round finishes, or they call you for an interview"

You made it sound like the free for all it used to be years ago where you had every attending you knew calling up open programs they knew someone at.

The rules are all written down and repeatedly emailed to everyone involved, dozens of times, PDs and applicants alike, with very threatening language telling you what constitutes a match violation. And every EULA you have to accept at every step of the process spells this out as well.

I'm pretty sure anyone who has the "credentials" of being able to read an EULA and understand what it says is qualified to remark on this. However, most people don't read EULAs.

Hello

I am a 2020 graduate from Saskatchewan medical school in Canada. So, I am a Canadian graduate.

I did not match in CaRMS 2020 in Vascular surgery. I am really interested in Vasc Surg. Before immigration to Canada in 2012, I did undergrad medicine before in EGYPT and graduated in 2002 and trained as a vascular surgeon in a 3 years residency training program in Egypt.

the reason I did undergrad medicine again in Canada is to make myself a Canadian medical Graduate.

do I have a chance to match in Vasc surg residency program in the states???

Thanks

Last edited:
It will depend on the program. In general, yes. But some Primary care residencies have much less time on critical care or inpatient services. And often the leadership of the program will want you to go into PC, so if you arrive and in your first 2 months say "So I want to be a cardiologist..." you may not get great support.

It also depends on the field. If you want one of the "outpatient" fellowships - Endo, Rheum, etc -- some PC tracts will be perfectly fine with that.

Thank you very much

Hello

I am a 2020 graduate from Saskatchewan medical school in Canada. So, I am a Canadian graduate.

I did not match in CaRMS 2020 in Vascular surgery. I am really interested in Vasc Surg. Before immigration to Canada in 2012, I did undergrad medicine before in EGYPT and graduated in 2002 and trained as a vascular surgeon in a 3 years residency training program in Egypt.

the reason I did undergrad medicine again in Canada is to make myself a Canadian medical Graduate.

Thanks
Honestly, probably not. You would need the USMLE exams, which you might not have taken. You'd need significant research. And you probably need a visa. And you're coming from what I'm sure is a good medical school, but not one that many in the states have ever heard of. And if you were not competitive enough to get a spot in Canada, you may not be competitive in the US.

You would have great difficulty just taking the USMLE exams in time for next year's application cycle, given that they are all shut down now and when they reopen will likely prioritize US grads.

If you had lots of research, then maybe.

If you spend 2 years trying and don't get a spot, then you may find it hard to get ANY spot.

You can try again next year in Canada again, but you should also apply to another field and ensure you get a spot.

Hello

Thanks
I agree with the previous comment about the research and USMLEs.
If you didn't finish USMLEs, then this is the first thing to do.
If you have it handy, then find the vascular program of your interest and ask them for research position. This way they will get to know you better.
Residency is competitive in USA. Many factors being considered here including scores, experience , year of graduation and age. I have heard it from some attendings involve in the selection process, they said they don't like to get older applicants because they would feel harsh in bossing them around (especially if the attending is younger than the applicant). It is not impossible, though, since I have seen residents in late 30s and early 40s before.

I agree with the previous comment about the research and USMLEs.
If you didn't finish USMLEs, then this is the first thing to do.
If you have it handy, then find the vascular program of your interest and ask them for research position. This way they will get to know you better.
Residency is competitive in USA. Many factors being considered here including scores, experience , year of graduation and age. I have heard it from some attendings involve in the selection process, they said they don't like to get older applicants because they would feel harsh in bossing them around (especially if the attending is younger than the applicant). It is not impossible, though, since I have seen residents in late 30s and early 40s before.

thanks a lot for the advice

I will graduate in 2020. If I did not match this year, I will take year 5 in med school here in Canada and will postpone my graduation to 2021. I did USMLE step 1 and 2CK but with average scores. I will do the CS part in Nov 2020.

I know that I am weak on the research part because I did only a summer dean research project with a vascular surg staff here in SK, Canada.