SOAP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnisit1234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have the list of unfilled programs they can post?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have the list of unfilled programs they can post?

As above, this cannot be posted yet as it IS considered a big deal by the NRMP to violate this rule.
Additionally, SDN moderators are supposed to delete any threads posting this info before it is "public"

Reactions: 2 users
^They found out today

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully you're working with your school to SOAP into something...
A review of his posts appears to indicate that he's an anesthesia resident. I would presume he's looking to change fields.

So at any rate, as noted above, its a match violation and against our policy to post the list before it has been released by the NRMP. If you have registered for the match and did not secure a position the list has been made available to you already.

Last edited:
I don't think the moderating is overly-aggressive but this place does seem dead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Imo SDN is dead compared to previous years around match time. I wonder if what I perceive to be overbearing moderation is taking a toll and turning posters off to the site. No need for 2 moderators to chastise the OP imo. One should suffice. In football this would be called "piling on".

Actually, it's not dead at all. There's an ERAS forum where most are gathering. Shame no one gave you the link.

Reactions: 1 users
SDN and other sites have had threats of legal action from the NRMP in the past

Hope this kind of thing comes up when people see NRMP's cheesy efforts to make itself look cool and hip on social media.

I'm an attending in the field I wanted, so this isn't sour grapes. But I'm trying to help a family friend who's struggling with scramble - er, "SOAP" - and just found out I can't even advocate for him, because it's a "match violation" if I do. So now NRMP deigns to tell me, as someone who has NO relationship whatsoever with them, what conversations I am allowed to have with whom?

Allo has traditionally been a pretty dead forum until the last year and a half or so when a bunch of very active and controversial posters started camping out here. Now that most of them have been banned or given up on arguing with the idiot brigade it has reverted to historic norms.

Histrionic norms? :D

Imo SDN is dead compared to previous years around match time. I wonder if what I perceive to be overbearing moderation is taking a toll and turning posters off to the site. No need for 2 moderators to chastise the OP imo. One should suffice. In football this would be called "piling on".

Its a bit of a shame the population drops off dramatically with each step (Premed -> Med student -> resident). I know people are busy but I've always wondered why a lot of people just altogether don't come back onto SDN as they progress through their medical career.

Oh, I didn't know you could have the administrator and moderator designation concurrently. :oops:
When we switched to XF, all the levels of staff flattened. I believe that any one who was a super (site wide) moderator got listed as Administrator.

She and I are both moderators ( and assigned to certain forums but can work in any one we wish) but in terms of using the former lingo of administrator = Board of Directors that includes me and just a few other staff members.

Go to the ERAS and NRMP sub-forum in the general residency forum. It is alive and well. There is a SOAP thread there for anyone looking for SOAP related posts.

I don't see what you're getting pissy about. If you are SOAPing the list of available positions should be open for you to see. No need to post them here, regardless if the NRMP cracks down on it or not.

Its a bit of a shame the population drops off dramatically with each step (Premed -> Med student -> resident). I know people are busy but I've always wondered why a lot of people just altogether don't come back onto SDN as they progress through their medical career.
This is pretty easy to answer. By the time you are applying to residency and fellowship there are other avenues of getting questions answered that are much better. You can face-to-face talk to or call mentors in your field and get much better feedback or responses that way. I would trust that kind of information 100x more than anything I received on here.

You'll find that often the kind of help people from higher levels of their training are seeking is related to morality or more "emotional things". For instance, there is a thread in the residency forums about a resident doubting his/her skills. That is something that is great to get feedback on an anonymous forum, there is no fear of a superior or colleague in your program judging you for asking that question. However, for stuff like applying to residency or fellowships it is often better to ask people you know personally and can trust their advice compared to some rand-o on the internet. Turns out pre-meds flock here, just like I did, because they often don't have those same avenues to field questions.

Just my 2 cents after frequenting these forums for 7/10 of a decade. ;)

Last edited:
happy anniversary dude

Yeah, it's a shame. I stopped visiting this forum as frequently because the same topics get posted over and over. But I definitely plan on sticking around and contributing when I actually have something to offer.

When we switched to XF, all the levels of staff flattened. I believe that any one who was a super (site wide) moderator got listed as Administrator.

She and I are both moderators ( and assigned to certain forums but can work in any one we wish) but in terms of using the former lingo of administrator = Board of Directors that includes me and just a few other staff members.
Oh well look at you.

Last edited:

To be honest, the forum is better for the large drop off in posters from pre-med to med student. A lot of the posts in the pre-med wasteland is rubbish. Which is a problem because a lot of people make up their minds based off of the pre-med forums, not realizing that the other forums are a lot higher in quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's this sort of thing that makes me question my life choices. I was graduating college when you were in high school and yet you're already in practice making the $$$

(...aaaand thread derailed...)

Lol. TMNSS you know my situation. My life plan was made for me before I was old enough to make my own choices. Plus I have grouchy indian immigrant parents, there's no "time off" or "breaks" or "travel the world to find yourself" allowed. It's school school school --> sell your soul to the family business.