Social Media etiquette/protocols?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A wise poster on Reddit once said if you are questioning whether you should post something on social media or not you probably shouldn't post it. That has resonated with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, suggesting how one should protest, what works/doesn't, or how to raise awareness has been the number one defense of people who don't support BLM. Similar arguments were used to oppose MLK Jr. as well. It isn't a great look to have.
See how this works though? You're only allowed to have an opinion on BLM if you support it. I don't support it, and therefore I can't say anything.

Before you get around to calling me "racist" and "cancelling" me, let me clarify. I fully recognize that black lives matter. I think that there are underlying elements of systemic racism in our society. But the mob mentality has everyone/everything being accused of "racism" without due diligence being performed. For example, AOA at my school is under fire for being "racist" even though the numbers haven't even been crunched/published to see if it's actually true. We need to verify these things before denouncing them, otherwise we're just operating based on emotion.

By the way, the reason I don't support BLM is because I disagree with several secondary stances of the organization---not the premise of the organization that one would guess based on the title "black lives matter". Black lives do matter, but I don't buy into everything that the organization itself is selling, and thus cannot and will not support it.

The problem is that if I went on my personal social media account and gave this critique of BLM, I would instantly be labeled as "racist" and my status as medical student would be jeopardized.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
See how this works though? You're only allowed to have an opinion on BLM if you support it. I don't support it, and therefore I can't say anything.

Before you get around to calling me "racist" and "cancelling" me, let me clarify. I fully recognize that black lives matter. I think that there are underlying elements of systemic racism in our society. But the mob mentality has everyone/everything being accused of "racism" without due diligence being performed. For example, AOA at my school is under fire for being "racist" even though the numbers haven't even been crunched/published to see if it's actually true. We need to verify these things before denouncing them, otherwise we're just operating based on emotion.

By the way, the reason I don't support BLM is because I disagree with several secondary stances of the organization---not the premise of the organization that one would guess based on the title "black lives matter". Black lives do matter, but I don't buy into everything that the organization itself is selling, and thus cannot and will not support it.

The problem is that if I went on my personal social media account and gave this critique of BLM, I would instantly be labeled as "racist" and my status as medical student would be jeopardized.

Didn’t realize BLM had a centralized, organized leadership command structure. It’s more of an idea that has different meaning to different people. Curious what the secondary issues that you disagree with. It’s ok to agree with some things and disagree with others. But to say you cannot and do not support it would be inaccurate since you said you do agree with its main premise....it seems like you support it but up to a point, which is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn’t realize BLM had a centralized, organized leadership command structure. It’s more of an idea that has different meaning to different people. Curious what the secondary issues that you disagree with. It’s ok to agree with some things and disagree with others. But to say you cannot and do not support it would be inaccurate since you said you do agree with its main premise....it seems like you support it but up to a point, which is fine.
You aren’t getting it and this is an important distinction that a lot of people don’t understand. I don’t support BLM as an organization at all. Agreeing that black lives matter in no way makes me supportive of an organization that violates some of my core beliefs. That’s like saying if you care about family medicine you are supportive of the AAFP. The idea is distinct from the organization. One I support, one I do not.

You aren’t getting it and this is an important distinction that a lot of people don’t understand. I don’t support BLM as an organization at all. Agreeing that black lives matter in no way makes me supportive of an organization that violates some of my core beliefs. That’s like saying if you care about family medicine you are supportive of the AAFP. The idea is distinct from the organization. One I support, one I do not.

Gotcha, I see what your saying. It’s a distinction between blm and BLM. But is BLM an actual organization at all? I was more on the understanding it was an idea or movement. I could be wrong, haven’t been too up to date with the news lately.

I mean, suggesting how one should protest, what works/doesn't, or how to raise awareness has been the number one defense of people who don't support BLM. Similar arguments were used to oppose MLK Jr. as well. It isn't a great look to have.
This type of poorly structured accusation is why advice to refrain is given. Someone shares very reasonable advice about protecting their career and you are already starting to accuse racism. Look at what you are doing here, now imagine a hundred thousand doing it. That type of behavior is why it is safer to stay away.

let’s also go ahead and point out the snuck premise that the organization blm must be supported as synonymous with opposing racism. That organization doesn’t get to claim that. One can absolutely think police officers should be criminally investigated by neutral parties for some of these cases and oppose racism AND have some legitimate disagreements with demands/tactics of the blm organization . Watch how you wield that racism accusation, it’s a very serious thing

• Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
Most of us go our whole lives without being labeled racist or homophobic or bigots. IMO, it's not that hard.
And plenty of people get labeled as being racist or homophobic or bigots for stupid reasons that aren't actually any of those things.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe it's more that medical students and residents are seen as an investment to be protected, so they won't be abruptly dismissed for sharing political or religious views.

There's also no reason to believe med students are any less entitled to post about social issues or tactfully respond to politicians than the general public, regardless of how popular they are. And with how memetics work, the more that a given individual with social connections shares an idea, the more likely it is to spread, even for random med students without a considerable following.
An investment to be protected? Seriously?

Most of us go our whole lives without being labeled racist or homophobic or bigots. IMO, it's not that hard.
Let me give you an example here.

My religion maintains that homosexuality is a sin, and I also hold that belief. I do not hate gay people, and interact with them as I would anyone else. I treat gay patients the same as I would anyone else. In my view, people sin in all kinds of ways and homosexuality is no better or worse than other sins like gluttony or jealousy.
I certainly don’t go out of my way to broadcast my beliefs on this topic given our cultural climate, but I do hold them nonetheless. When I have stated my position on this topic, I’ve been called “homophobic” because I think homosexuality is morally wrong. Like I said, I harbor no feelings of hatred or ill-will towards LGBTQ folks, I just disagree with them on homosexuality. The fact that my respectful disagreement is the basis for calling me “homophobic” is wrong.

• Okay...
Gotcha, I see what your saying. It’s a distinction between blm and BLM. But is BLM an actual organization at all? I was more on the understanding it was an idea or movement. I could be wrong, haven’t been too up to date with the news lately.
Yep it is an organization, with an agenda far bigger than “black lives matter”

• Okay...

My religion maintains that homosexuality is a sin, and I also hold that belief. I do not hate gay people, and interact with them as I would anyone else. I treat gay patients the same as I would anyone else. In my view, people sin in all kinds of ways and homosexuality is no better or worse than other sins like gluttony or jealousy.
I certainly don’t go out of my way to broadcast my beliefs on this topic given our cultural climate, but I do hold them nonetheless. When I have stated my position on this topic, I’ve been called “homophobic” because I think homosexuality is morally wrong. Like I said, I harbor no feelings of hatred or ill-will towards LGBTQ folks, I just disagree with them on homosexuality. The fact that my respectful disagreement is the basis for calling me “homophobic” is wrong.

Very poor example. I don't think it's homophobic to say that being gay is a sin, but I do think it's astonishingly judgmental, hateful, and prejudiced. Can't find a logical way saying such a thing can be construed "respectful disagreement" on your part so I don't buy your premise.

Reactions: 3 users
And plenty of people get labeled as being racist or homophobic or bigots for stupid reasons that aren't actually any of those things.

In many (not all) cases, when someone gets that label, it's because they are.

Very poor example. I don't think it's homophobic to say that being gay is a sin, but I do think it's astonishingly judgmental, hateful, and prejudiced. Can't find a logical way saying such a thing can be construed "respectful disagreement" on your part so I don't buy your premise.
But wasn’t it you who thought that principal should be fired for say not all cops are bad? (If i’m wrong, apologies)

Members don't see this ad :)
But wasn’t it you who thought that principal should be fired for say not all cops are bad? (If i’m wrong, apologies)

I didn't say she should be fired for saying not all cops are bad. I said the school district had a right to fire her for her insensitive post. There's a difference between those two things.

It does exist as an organization but is extremely loosely structured and decentralized and as such doesn't have a formal hierarchy or an official set of objectives. Among the downsides to having such a loose structure in my opinion is that it easily lets one point to the most controversial, radical things that people say and use it to dismiss the entire thing, even if they never would have supported it in the first place.

I didn't say she should be fired for saying not all cops are bad. I said the school district had a right to fire her for her insensitive post. There's a difference between those two things.
Which makes you one of those illogical people we are referencing when we tell people to stay off social media. In the same week you defended a govt firing someone for a benign social media post and also told someone their career is safe unless they get completely insane online

• Dislike
It does exist as an organization but is extremely loosely structured and decentralized and as such doesn't have a formal hierarchy or an official set of objectives. Among the downsides to having such a loose structure in my opinion is that it easily lets one point to the most controversial, radical things that people say and use it to dismiss the entire thing, even if they never would have supported it in the first place.
Which makes the whole premise of you asking if someone supports “blm” flawed. It has too many meanings to mean anything, but if someone says no that gets equated with racism which isn’t even remotely true

Being judgmental is also something prohibited by my religion, since we all have moral shortcomings. It’s not my place to judge individuals and look down on them, and I am not prejudiced just because I think homosexuality is wrong. I have had many gay patients and have enjoyed my relationships with them. I strive to provide them with the best care possible. How does this make me a “hateful” person? That accusation really bothers me when I strive to take care of these people and actually enjoy it.

I guess from your perspective is my religion “hateful”, then? And how does one reconcile the fact that Catholicism, Protestant Christianity, and other religions also call it a sin? Surely you can’t classify all of these people as “hateful” for holding these beliefs? I’m certainly not calling people out, which would be judgmental and inappropriate. But if asked my stance, I’m going to state it.

Being judgmental is also something prohibited by my religion, since we all have moral shortcomings. It’s not my place to judge individuals and look down on them, and I am not prejudiced just because I think homosexuality is wrong. I have had many gay patients and have enjoyed my relationships with them. I strive to provide them with the best care possible. How does this make me a “hateful” person? That accusation really bothers me when I strive to take care of these people and actually enjoy it.

I guess from your perspective is my religion “hateful”, then? And how does one reconcile the fact that Catholicism, Protestant Christianity, and other religions also call it a sin? Surely you can’t classify all of these people as “hateful” for holding these beliefa?
There are a lot of folks who call all those folks hateful.

Which makes you one of those illogical people we are referencing when we tell people to stay off social media. In the same week you defended a govt firing someone for a benign social media post and also told someone their career is safe unless they get completely insane online

No, it makes you one of those illogical people who can't see that you can very much get fired for making objectionable posts. I never said you have to get "completely insane" online, but you do need to think about what you say, how you say it, and you need to read the room if you want to be safe posting on SM. Most of us have no problem.

I guess from your perspective is my religion “hateful”, then? And how does one reconcile the fact that Catholicism, Protestant Christianity, and other religions also call it a sin? Surely you can’t classify all of these people as “hateful” for holding these beliefa?

I'm not going to turn this thread into a debate of religion, but yes, I maintain, your opinion is judgmental and hateful and people have a right to judge you for it. I can believe a person is ugly. It's just my opinion. I'm not going to go out and tell that person (or talk behind their back) about how ugly they are. Why? Because it's hateful. Just because it's my opinion doesn't make it respectful.

There are a lot of folks who call all those folks hateful.
This is concerning that pure disagreement on one topic is classified as hatred. I treat these people with the utmost respect, yet I’m somehow “hateful”. Despite the fact that there is nothing in me that dislikes them or would cause me to treat them as lesser.

• Dislike

Jesus. It's no wonder gay people still harbor distrust against the medical profession. "I don't hate them, I just believe that the way they were born is a sin." I for one am glad that our "cultural climate" is largely opposed to such a ridiculous, hateful view.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
No, it makes you one of those illogical people who can't see that you can very much get fired for making objectionable posts. I never said you have to get "completely insane" online, but you do need to think about what you say, how you say it, and you need to read the room if you want to be safe posting on SM. Most of us have no problem.

I'm not going to turn this thread into a debate of religion, but yes, I maintain, your opinion is judgmental and hateful and people have a right to judge you for it. I can believe a person is ugly. It's just my opinion. I'm not going to go out and tell that person (or talk behind their back) about how ugly they are. Why? Because it's hateful. Just because it's my opinion doesn't make it respectful.
Sure, I mean why would I talk about someone for being gay or tell them I think they are morally wrong? That is just plain socially inappropriate in almost all circumstances. This isn’t about accusing people, it’s just my personal belief. I guess we disagree here but I am disturbed that my religious beliefs are categorized as unacceptable.

• Dislike
Which makes the whole premise of you asking if someone supports “blm” flawed. It has too many meanings to mean anything, but if someone says no that gets equated with racism which isn’t even remotely true
That's not an unreasonable point re: asking if someone supports BLM, although whether or not it's racist depends entirely on context. Probably the better question to ask is: do you believe that the current pattern of police brutality against Black people is a problem, and something should be done to fix it? Because in my experience that's basically the crux of "do you support BLM?"

Jesus. It's no wonder gay people still harbor distrust against the medical profession. "I don't hate them, I just believe that the way they were born is a sin." I for one am glad that our "cultural climate" is largely opposed to such a ridiculous, hateful view.
To be fair I didn’t say being gay was a sin, I said homosexuality, as in the behavior itself was. Don’t use quotation marks if you can’t get my words correct. I’m sorry that you can’t respect a religious belief that in no way hinders my ability to practice medicine.

• Dislike
Sure, I mean why would I talk about someone for being gay or tell them I think they are morally wrong? That is just plain socially inappropriate in almost all circumstances. This isn’t about accusing people, it’s just my personal belief. I guess we disagree here but I am disturbed that my religious beliefs are categorized as unacceptable.
I'm afraid you had best get used to it as this isn't a tiny minority opinion.

On the plus side, once you're out practicing it's rarely an issue in the real world since as you point out saying things like that to someone in person is socially inappropriate.

• Dislike
I'm afraid you had best get used to it as this isn't a tiny minority opinion.

On the plus side, once you're out practicing it's rarely an issue in the real world since as you point out saying things like that to someone in person is socially inappropriate.
Yeah it’s never something I talk about unless asked directly and discussions around sex, politics, and religion are off limits for me in the workplace.

That's not an unreasonable point re: asking if someone supports BLM, although whether or not it's racist depends entirely on context. Probably the better question to ask is: do you believe that the current pattern of police brutality against Black people is a problem, and something should be done to fix it? Because in my experience that's basically the crux of "do you support BLM?"
That is a much better phrasing

If this was the sole definition of BLM I would definitely say I support it. It’s just important to keep the organization distinct from the principle, since they are different things.

If this was the sole definition of BLM I would definitely say I support it. It’s just important to keep the organization distinct from the principle, since they are different things.
“Blm” isn’t a principle. it’s a either an organization or a slogan coopted by so many people that it’s impossible for everyone to agree on a concise meaning.

“Blm” isn’t a principle. it’s a either an organization or a slogan coopted by so many people that it’s impossible for everyone to agree on a concise meaning.
Right, I meant the principle of standing up for blacks. It was confusing how I said it.

The idea that homosexuality is a sin is probably an idea best kept locked away to the inner recesses of one's mind, and taken to the grave (where it belongs)

This is concerning that pure disagreement on one topic is classified as hatred. I treat these people with the utmost respect, yet I’m somehow “hateful”. Despite the fact that there is nothing in me that dislikes them or would cause me to treat them as lesser.

Telling someone they're sinful isn't treating them with "utmost respect." It's actually the exact opposite.

• Love
Telling someone they're sinful isn't treating them with "utmost respect." It's actually the exact opposite.
I don’t know if you read my other comments, but that isn’t something I tell people. It’s just a belief, and not one I would ever discuss at work or on social media, much less just straight up telling people or patients “hey you’re sinning”. That would be weird and inappropriate. I would only discuss this if the topic came up outside of work, and like I tried to above, make it clear that I respect gay people as human beings. I think you’re trying to make it seem like I am actively antagonizing the LGBTQ community when that isn’t the case at all.

I don’t know if you read my other comments, but that isn’t something I tell people. It’s just a belief, and not one I would ever discuss at work or on social media, much less just straight up telling people or patients “hey you’re sinning”. That would be weird and inappropriate. I would only discuss this if the topic came up outside of work, and like I tried to above, make it clear that I respect gay people as human beings.
Yeah, not sure why this is such a confusing idea.

Just echoing the others that it simply isn’t worth it. It probably becomes less risky as you progress in your career simply because a Med student that gets expelled is done in medicine but an attending who gets fired is still a board certified physician. Early mistakes are far more costly. Add to that the fact you probably don’t have anything truly authoritative and interesting to contribute anyhow and there doesn’t seem to be much upside.

The cancel culture thing is intense these days and may even get worse. Whatever you say at least half the country disagrees with and that can bite you later. We always search through and review residency applicants social media posts and people have been dinged for it.

It’s Also challenging to keep it professional because the temptation to chase clout is high. I’ve seen many people start out professional and slowly devolve into posting things that would have been unthinkable before simply because the allure of more likes and followers is too high.

I don't know how medical licensing boards are elected or handled. How soon before you have 'activists' on the board determining who has a license based on political speech? At this point failure to make supportive political statements is seen as somehow being complicit, after all.

What safeguards exist against this?

I don’t believe this person said that they actually tell anyone that they are sinful (I could be mistaken though) but it is their belief. People are free to believe whatever they want as long as their beliefs do not interfere or harm an individual. I recognize that such a belief has a huge propensity for bias that may leach into clinical practice, but this person seems to be aware of this bias and tries to temper it.

I am Jewish, when I was a medical student in the ER, I had to suture an arm wound in the ER above where I was suturing there was a swastika and a not nice phrase about Jewish people. I tried this person with respect, did not lecture him on any sins and left. Still think about it though. If I posted this on Twitter I might get a few compliments about professionalism. If the person above posted under their own name that while they have specific beliefs they do not let such beliefs leach into their practice (basically what I did above) they would be eviscerated and at best get something put in their file that might jeopardize their future.

I think this is the issue at stake here. There is a tremendous amount of groupthink going on now and has been ever since the advent of Twitter which basically tells people that you can take a complex issue like racism, reproductive rights, gender equity etc and reduce it to a handful of characters while you’re taking a dump in the office toilet. I mean even Terry Crews an AA man (A member of the very group the protests are trying to protect) who is widely beloved and has stood up for many important issues and puts great care into words he uses was absolutely railroaded when he tweeted that calm, loud, discourse rather than florid Outrage may be a better way to proceed. But outrage feels better.

Jane Goodall (perhaps one of the greatest human beings and caretakers of the world in recorded history) made a deal with an oil company to help build one of the first chimpanzee rehabilitation centers that persists to this day and has served as a model for other conservatories. I have no doubt that if she did this now she would be #cancelled. But she should be the model of how to work with groups not in alignment with your own values.

Edit: TL;DR don’t post anything unless it is either 100% in alignment with current attitudes, don’t use vulgar language ever, and don’t make any jokes that won’t age well

Last edited:
I don’t believe this person said that they actually tell anyone that they are sinful (I could be mistaken though) but it is their belief. People are free to believe whatever they want as long as their beliefs do not interfere or harm an individual. I recognize that such a belief has a huge propensity for bias that may leach into clinical practice, but this person seems to be aware of this bias and tries to temper it.

I am Jewish, when I was a medical student in the ER, I had to suture an arm wound in the ER above where I was suturing there was a swastika and a not nice phrase about Jewish people. I tried this person with respect, did not lecture him on any sins and left. Still think about it though. If I posted this on Twitter I might get a few compliments about professionalism. If the person above posted under their own name that while they have specific beliefs they do not let such beliefs leach into their practice (basically what I did above) they would be eviscerated and at best get something put in their file that might jeopardize their future.

I think this is the issue at stake here. There is a tremendous amount of groupthink going on now and has been ever since the advent of Twitter which basically tells people that you can take a complex issue like racism, reproductive rights, gender equity etc and reduce it to a handful of characters while you’re taking a dump in the office toilet. I mean even Terry Crews an AA man (A member of the very group the protests are trying to protect) who is widely beloved and has stood up for many important issues and puts great care into words he uses was absolutely railroaded when he tweeted that calm, loud, discourse rather than florid Outrage may be a better way to proceed. But outrage feels better.

Jane Goodall (perhaps one of the greatest human beings and caretakers of the world in recorded history) made a deal with an oil company to help build one of the first chimpanzee rehabilitation centers that persists to this day and has served as a model for other conservatories. I have no doubt that if she did this now she would be #cancelled. But she should be the model of how to work with groups not in alignment with your own values.
Exactly this. I’m purposefully mindful of my own beliefs. That said, I’m not thinking about my beliefs when I care for gay patients. To me I’m just caring for a patient, who may need special considerations because they are gay.

I don’t know if you read my other comments, but that isn’t something I tell people. It’s just a belief, and not one I would ever discuss at work or on social media, much less just straight up telling people or patients “hey you’re sinning”. That would be weird and inappropriate. I would only discuss this if the topic came up outside of work, and like I tried to above, make it clear that I respect gay people as human beings. I think you’re trying to make it seem like I am actively antagonizing the LGBTQ community when that isn’t the case at all.

You don't have respect for them if you think they're sinning, plain and simple. Whether you tell them or not, by definition, you're not respecting them.

I don’t believe this person said that they actually tell anyone that they are sinful (I could be mistaken though) but it is their belief. People are free to believe whatever they want as long as their beliefs do not interfere or harm an individual

Yup. I never said otherwise. The rest of us are free to judge them for their beliefs though.

I recognize that such a belief has a huge propensity for bias that may leach into clinical practice, but this person seems to be aware of this bias and tries to temper it

Actually, this person doesn't find anything wrong with the belief and is upset that people judge him for it. I never said he would be a poor physician because of it or that he treats patients badly because of it, simply that his belief is judgmental and hateful and that is my belief in response to his belief.

Whoa, did you just compare someone with a swastika to a gay person? There's a very valid reason those two responses (yours versus the other poster's) would get different reactions. It's not even a valid comparison.

I think this is the issue at stake here. There is a tremendous amount of groupthink going on now and has been ever since the advent of Twitter which basically tells people that you can take a complex issue like racism, reproductive rights, gender equity etc and reduce it to a handful of characters while you’re taking a dump in the office toilet

No there isn't. Groupthink was always present. IT's the reason civil rights and desegregation became a thing. It's the reason suffrage was a thing. People are up in arms about social media but fail to take notice that in history, there are social revolutions. This is one.

Whoa, did you just compare someone with a swastika to a gay person? There's a very valid reason those two responses (yours versus the other poster's) would get different reactions. It's not even a valid comparison.

nope I did not make that comparison and this comparison did not even cross my mind and I actually find it so abhorrent that I am actually nauseous that anyone would interpret it that way. What i was saying was that we both keep our feelings to ourselves and do let it impact how we behave not the rightness or wrongness of the beliefs (for the record I do not agree with said beliefs nor do i even agree that it is ok to have them). Also note that in my anecdote that if I suggested I used less than adequate anesthesia or made some remake under my breath I would be congratulated, but in reality that. behavior On my part would be unprofessional at best and unethical At worst and would for sure require punitive action much more than anything anyone posted on Twitter.

But I must absolutely thank you for so elegantly illustrating my point. Had I posted this on Twitter I sure as poop would be called in to my chair’s office and at best admonished. however since I am not complete alignment with your views you chose (and absolutely have the right to do so) to interpret what I wrote as a completely vile comparison and since this type of outrage is in alignment with contemporary group think you would be lauded for “calling me out”.

I am not “up in arms” about social media and social revolution. I am very much in support of all changes going on and think it will be for the benefit of all people. However the problem I have with social media is that like I said, someone can dilute experience of legions into however many words it takes to construct a tweet and that social media allows crafting of immediate responses while in a state of agitation (for everyone and anyone) and acting while experiencing these feelings seldom leads to any good for anyone and everyone.

I also did not imply that groupthink is new, and I wholly agree with you that it is one of the greatest contributors to current racist and misogynistic state of humanity, that should highlight how bad it is regardless of which group wields it.

Last edited:
nope I make that comparison did not and this comparison did not even cross my mind and I actually find so abhorrent that I am actually nauseous. But I must absolutely thank you for so gracefully illustrating my point

Person A: Gay people are sinning, but I treated my gay patient with respect
Person B: People who wear swastikas suck, but I treated my swastika wearing patient with respect.

You compared the two to suggest they'd be treated differently if they posted the above on social media. Well hell yeah, they'd be treated differently. Hell yeah, the reaction would be different. With good reason. I'm not the one who made you nauseous. You did with the assertion that the response to those two sentences/people should be the same.

Had I posted this on Twitter I sure as would be called in to my chair’s office and at best admonished

Yup, with good reason.

however since I am not complete alignment with your views you chose (and absolutely have the right to do so) to interpret what I wrote as “comparing an LGBTQ person to a nazi”; and since this type of outrage is in alignment with contemporary group think you would be lauded for “calling me out”.

Dude, I would have pointed out the above and my criticism of your comparison 20 years ago, even before social media and so-called "groupthink." The English language has not changed. The only thing that's changed is how we view people who are different and imo, we're moving in the right direction as far as that's concerned.

I am not “up in arms” about social media and social revolution. I am very much in support of all changes going on and think it will be for the benefit of all people. However the problem I have with social media is that like I said, someone can dilute experience of legions into however many words it takes to construct a tweet.

No one diluted anything. You should realize how and why the responses to a gay person and a bigot would be viewed differently.

Yup. I never said otherwise. The rest of us are free to judge them for their beliefs though.

Actually, this person doesn't find anything wrong with the belief and is upset that people judge him for it. I never said he would be a poor physician because of it or that he treats patients badly because of it, simply that his belief is judgmental and hateful and that is my belief in response to his belief.

No there isn't. Groupthink was always present. IT's the reason civil rights and desegregation became a thing. It's the reason suffrage was a thing. People are up in arms about social media but fail to take notice that in history, there are social revolutions. This is one.
You’re purposefully conflating things in an attempt to discredit people that just disagree with you.
I can handle that you disagree with my religious beliefs, although I’m not going to resort to calling you “hateful”. That would be factually inaccurate and I reserve that for actually hateful statements.

You’re purposefully conflating things in an attempt to discredit people that just disagree with you.
I can handle that you disagree with my religious beliefs, although I’m not going to resort to calling you “hateful”. That would be factually inaccurate and I reserve that for actually hateful statements.

I believe your statement that being gay is a sin is a hateful statement. That is my belief and I will state it just as you state yours.

@FutchaDocta111 I think the answer to your question can be found on this here thread
DB318DF5-5B21-4F73-B1B9-EDF9A19C9922.gif

@FutchaDocta111 I think the answer to your question can be found on this here thread

• Dislike
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.