Social Media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravelingMedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all.
Do you think those applying this cycle should change their names on social media or is that just more of a pre-med paranoia? I do not have anything controversial or anything I need to hide on social media but I was just wondering if the suggestion should be followed.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder what if someone doesn't have social media at all, how do adcoms view that?
For example, I only have one messenger, which is not popular outside of Eastern Europe, and instagram, where I post 4-5 photos per year. No facebook, twitter, snapchat, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what if someone doesn't have social media at all, how do adcoms view that?
For example, I only have one messenger, which is not popular outside of Eastern Europe, and instagram, where I post 4-5 photos per year. No facebook, twitter, snapchat, etc.
This is not something they care about.

Reactions: 9 users
Do Adcoms check Linkedin profiles?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

I have attended workshops where adcoms from different schools say they look at Facebook, unsure about LinkedIn. Is that just to scare people? Not sure, but they were pretty specific about people they’ve sniffed out in the past.

I will sometimes Google a name. If you have a rather unusual name, everything from the columns you authored in the school newspaper to your wedding registry will turn up. LinkedIn is usually innocuous. For Facebook I'd recommend changing your name to first and middle or something that will make it a bit harder to find you.

Reactions: 2 users
My rule of thumb is to not have anything that I wouldn't want my mother to see. I remember trying to find some medical students that were rotating with us to be legitimate Facebook friends with, and they all changed their names to something weird. I had to ask them to request me. I never changed my Facebook profile or made it private. Not to sound idealistic or naive, but if a program won't accept me for whatever reasons per my profile, then it's not a good fit for me.

LinkedIn seems way too formal to be of any detriment. It reminds me of my days in the business world. You'd write an email by saying...

Hi srk2021,

Do you know if ADCOMs check LinkedIn profiles? Please advise.

Thanks,
Planes2Doc

Boring!

Reactions: 1 user
They barely have time to read through the application. Why would they waste their time with LinkedIn, of all things?
I know they won't have time during initial screen, but how about during the final selection process?

Years ago I had someone whose application seemed a little odd... the contact person for several activities with different organizations spread over two states was the same name and gmail. A few minutes later, I'd figured out that this was the applicant's future mother-in-law who was active in these volunteer organizations. So, I just asked some open ended questions about the activities during the interview and was not convinced that the applicant had ever engaged in the activities in a meaningful way.

Sometimes, what would not seem bad on the face of it (a photo of your future mother-in-law with you at an engagement party) can be the nail in the coffin if it helps paint a picture that is not flattering. Of course, the issue was not what was on social medial but the padding of a work& activities section that was otherwise very thin.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I submitted an app to UCLA in July, never got a secondary, complete radio silence until mid-February when I get a LinkedIn notification that someone affiliated with UCLA SOM looked at my profile. The next day I woke up to a fresh R in my inbox.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I submitted an app to UCLA in July, never got a secondary, complete radio silence until mid-February when I get a LinkedIn notification that someone affiliated with UCLA SOM looked at my profile. The next day I woke up to a fresh R in my inbox.
Damn what was on your LinkedIn???

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

I did quite well and don't have social media except for linkedIn. No one affiliated with a med school checked it though.

Years ago I had someone whose application seemed a little odd... the contact person for several activities with different organizations spread over two states was the same name and gmail. A few minutes later, I'd figured out that this was the applicant's future mother-in-law who was active in these volunteer organizations. So, I just asked some open ended questions about the activities during the interview and was not convinced that the applicant had ever engaged in the activities in a meaningful way.

Sometimes, what would not seem bad on the face of it (a photo of your future mother-in-law with you at an engagement party) can be the nail in the coffin if it helps paint a picture that is not flattering. Of course, the issue was not what was on social medial but the padding of a work& activities section that was otherwise very thin.

For 3 volunteer ECs which are facilitated through one of my campus organizations, and the campus organization itself, I have the same contact (our university advisor). Would the perception be the same in this scenario? The individual in question has an official faculty email.

For 3 volunteer ECs which are facilitated through one of my campus organizations, and the campus organization itself, I have the same contact (our university advisor). Would the perception be the same in this scenario? The individual in question has an official faculty email.

Obviously, very different than listing your mother-in-law's gmail account for all three activities in 2 different states.

So I just googled myself. My social media doesn’t actually pop up, but a couple fake parody accounts my friends made in middle/high school did... would this be a problem?

• Haha
I changed my twitter to private during the app cycle, then changed them back afterward.

LOL, that's funny. If you didn't have a secondary by Feb though I highly doubt it was your Linkedin.

Do you not have an entry about social media on your work/activities section? Being on social media shows leadership, social skills, and why medicine.

Nah Adcoms don't care in the least bit.

What if your Facebook/Twitter has a lot of political content?

We are told to not get overly political or religious in our med school applications. You wouldn't want this on social media either if adcoms were to look. Especially if you are bantering or arguing back and forth with people (which often happens on social media when people get religious or political). Being sarcastic or insulting (often when people use memes for these topics on social media) about people of different beliefs or views is a bad look if you have it on your social media. I would set your accounts to private during the application cycle.

We are told to not get overly political or religious in our med school applications. You wouldn't want this on social media either if adcoms were to look. Especially if you are bantering or arguing back and forth with people (which often happens on social media when people get religious or political). Being sarcastic or insulting (often when people use memes for these topics on social media) about people of different beliefs or views is a bad look if you have it on your social media. I would set your accounts to private during the application cycle.
Got It, thanks.

Won't matter unless you have pictures up of yourself chain smoking or committing crimes. Or being anti vax.

the contact person for several activities with different organizations spread over two states was the same name and gmail.
I have this exact scenario except it is across 4 states and 2 countries all the same contact for every military activity (Platoon sergeant/squad mate for 6 years). Is that suspicious or does the context of the contact alleviate suspicion?

Luckily I have a common name. Although I would hate it if an Adcom confused me for the other ten serial killers with my name and city of birth

Ha! My brother unknowingly named his kid the same as a notorious serial killer in another country. This was before Google so he didn't know... The upside is that if you Google the name, you get these murders from another country and another century.

I have this exact scenario except it is across 4 states and 2 countries all the same contact for every military activity (Platoon sergeant/squad mate for 6 years). Is that suspicious or does the context of the contact alleviate suspicion?
Context is everything.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Y'all.
Do you think those applying this cycle should change their names on social media or is that just more of a pre-med paranoia? I do not have anything controversial or anything I need to hide on social media but I was just wondering if the suggestion should be followed.

Once again, chill out and use common sense. In general, not being a racist, participating in twitter lynch mobs, or posting videos of you downing street bought ativan with a bottle of smirnoff is a good rule of thumb. Also don't be an antivaxxer, if that's not an autoreject; it should be.

I think I'm gonna nuke my twitter when I apply but I'm not sure if I will or not. I have written articles/blogs that come up first when you search my name, I can't and won't delete them. I think they're one of the more unique parts of my application. But I can't help but wonder if that'll backfire on me.

• Love