Some newbie questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the application cycle/osteopathic medicine in general, so I apologize if I don't know the obvious/come off as ignorant. I was wondering if someone could answer the following questions for me:

1-What are the top schools on the east coast?
2-I am submitting my primary today-am I late...?
3-I know some schools say they do not require a rec letter from a DO physician, but will not having one put me at a severe disadvantage?

Thanks! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the application cycle/osteopathic medicine in general, so I apologize if I don't know the obvious/come off as ignorant. I was wondering if someone could answer the following questions for me:

1-What are the top schools on the east coast?
2-I am submitting my primary today-am I late...?
3-I know some schools say they do not require a rec letter from a DO physician, but will not having one put me at a severe disadvantage?

Thanks! :luck:
1. This requires some hw on your part.
2. You are later than the gunners and SDNiverse, but not late overall. It will take several weeks for you to get verified and released to schools.
3. Try to get one if you can. This shows you know what osteopathic medicine is about and that you have been exposed to it.

1. This requires some hw on your part.
2. You are later than the gunners and SDNiverse, but not late overall. It will take several weeks for you to get verified and released to schools.
3. Try to get one if you can. This shows you know what osteopathic medicine is about and that you have been exposed to it.

Thanks for the response! I've heard really good things about PCOM, UMDNJ, and NYCOM, so I'm guessing those are among some of the top schools. I'm reading the AACOM information book and other stuff on the AACOM website. Do you recommend any other reading sources? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Def check out the schools' websites.

Also, in the osteopathic section there is a thread called "Pro's and Con's of your DO School" which I found pretty helpful.

You could always go visit the schools too!

Thanks for the response! I've heard really good things about PCOM, UMDNJ, and NYCOM, so I'm guessing those are among some of the top schools. I'm reading the AACOM information book and other stuff on the AACOM website. Do you recommend any other reading sources? Thanks!

You're spot on with the top DO schools of the east coast. I would add NSU to that list also though. From what I can tell, top tier DO pretty much consists of PCOM, KCOM, DMUCOM, CCOM, TCOM, and NSUCOM with NYCOM/UMDNJ hovering around there as well. I'm sure there are some others on the west coast but I'm not as familiar with that area.

You're a little late in the app season but I don't think it will hurt you that much unless you have some pretty dismal numbers.

Not having a DO letter rules you out at a lot of schools, and the other ones HIGHLY recommend it. It is going to hurt you somewhat, but if you're a strong applicant otherwise, a strong MD letter should be fine.

Good luck. :luck:

1) This is very subjective but it seems that the older schools that have been around for a long time (80+ years) have the highest reputations and prestige.

2) Some schools are just now starting to send secondaries out and most have not started interviewing yet. There are still plenty of seats left but don't wait too long.

3) Agree that you should get the DO letter. If you don't have it you will be limited in where you can apply. Plus, it does strengthen your application by showing that you have an interest in and exposure to osteopathic medicine. I had a great time shadowing a DO a few months ago - it was really interesting and the dr really went out of his way to make sure it was a worthwhile experience.