Somebody you know try to figure out your SDN username?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

perdvert

Ya' Heard With Perd
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm so annoyed that this happened to me because I like my old account and literally had to make a new one today because enough was enough...

So one of my friends that knew I used SDN is actively trying to figure out which username is mine (i.e. reading through people's post histories if I shared something in common with them). I'm purposefully not sharing details about my application cycle with this friend because I don't want it to become a competition between the two of us. But it got to the point where I was uncomfortable posting under my old account because I knew my friend was trying to connect the dots back to me.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have ways of dealing with that
go-on-gif-4.gif


Just kidding; please no serial killing
 
Yep, it's happened, it's annoying as hell. If it happens by accident that someone figures out who I am then whatever, but some people like go out of their way to investigate it, which imo is not OK.
 
I am unimportant enough to not care, and I doubt anyone would bother going through the effort.

Sorry you’re stuck dealing with this though, kinda obnoxious of your friend to do that. Maybe consider owning it if they persist and tell them off?
 
I'm so annoyed that this happened to me because I like my old account and literally had to make a new one today because enough was enough...

So one of my friends that knew I used SDN is actively trying to figure out which username is mine (i.e. reading through people's post histories if I shared something in common with them). I'm purposefully not sharing details about my application cycle with this friend because I don't want it to become a competition between the two of us. But it got to the point where I was uncomfortable posting under my old account because I knew my friend was trying to connect the dots back to me.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
And your post isn't another dot that can be connected?
 
Know a handful of SDN users IRL but we have a good idea of our ranking and try to not make a big deal about it.

The premed world is tinier than it seems, anyone who tries hard enough can get to your identity. Best you can do is not make them curious enough to.
 
I'm so annoyed that this happened to me because I like my old account and literally had to make a new one today because enough was enough...

So one of my friends that knew I used SDN is actively trying to figure out which username is mine (i.e. reading through people's post histories if I shared something in common with them). I'm purposefully not sharing details about my application cycle with this friend because I don't want it to become a competition between the two of us. But it got to the point where I was uncomfortable posting under my old account because I knew my friend was trying to connect the dots back to me.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
It wouldn't surprise me. But throw out some disinformation to throw him off the scent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One person I know IRL knows my handle (you know who you are...). It's not a big deal because I'm a pretty embarrassing person to begin with so it's not like he/she is shocked by what I write anyway.