Somewhat off-topic for the horse-lovers: Blue Hors Matine euthanized

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coquette22

Shinigami
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
She broke a leg in a paddock accident and had to be euthanized. Some reports say she was in foal at the time, and I know plans did exist to breed her, but since she was only retired in August, it doesn't make sense she'd be in foal yet. Either way, a tragic loss for the horse world. Helgstrand must be beside himself with grief. The love between those two was so clear...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This video has been posted before, but I just thought I'd post it as a tribute.

Blue Hors Matine

Last edited:
So, so sad. The first time I saw this video it brought tears to my eyes, such a beautiful, beautiful mare. Thanks for posting it again, Riley.

Oh that so sad. That horse was beautiful and talented. I know she will be missed.

Wow, stunning performance! What a shame! Very sad indeed.

So incredibly sad! She was such an amazing mare.

Thanks for linking to the video. That performance always makes me smile. I love how expressive her tail is. She's clearly having so much fun! Definitely not tense swishing on that one. :p

I love how expressive her tail is. She's clearly having so much fun! Definitely not tense swishing on that one. :p

She was clearly enjoying herself! That is a shame.

I didn't even know her name -- I had to look at the video to see what horse was being talked about. Such a loss!

So I know nothing about horses, so excuse me if this is a dumb question...but if she had already been retired why did they have to euthanize her over a broken leg?? Is it so difficult to fix it and then let her live a low key lifestyle?

So I know nothing about horses, so excuse me if this is a dumb question...but if she had already been retired why did they have to euthanize her over a broken leg?? Is it so difficult to fix it and then let her live a low key lifestyle?

I also do not know anything about horses but I read the news article and the leg was broken right at the knee which is inoperable (I would think). I do know that horses can not function with only three legs and severe broken legs end in euthanasia which is usually the best option. If any of this is incorrect please correct because I have no experience with horses this is just from what I have read about horses.

ETA: Here is the link to the news article I read: News Article

even if a repair can be made, keeping the horse off the leg can cause laminitis and other problems in the other limbs. apparently, based on experiences in some buddhist countries, sometimes the breaks will pack enough connective tissue in the area to enable the animal to survive (particularly true of cows in India) but it isn't considered humane in developed western countries. the 'healing' is painful, there are still all the risks to the other limbs and the animals health and many wouldn't suvive anyways. And before anyone thinks I have a 'thing' for buddhist countries....the reason I encountered the 'let it go' treatments there was a belief that a spirit must encounter and manage is own sufferin in whatever life it is in to progress in future live and that ending a life isn't good for ones own spirit. Not saying all buddhists practice this way, or that it is right or wrong...just that it created a situation in some places where I saw horses and cows and other animals with massive injuriest that would have lead to euthanasia where I am from.

Is it so difficult to fix it and then let her live a low key lifestyle?

Mostly impossible for any broken leg in a horse. They are such huge animals, with all that weight resting on their long fine legs, that breaking one is disastrous. Even if it can be properly fixed, they are in a lot of pain and it will probably never be stable enough for them to run on it again. Then, when they are putting their weight on their other legs while that one is healing, they get severe laminitis in the other feet from the maldistribution of their weight which leads to other medical problems. (reason Barbaro was ethanized long after initial injury)

Its almost the same thing with cows, since they rarely walk well or are able to naturally breed again after breaking a leg when fully grown, but since there aren't famous race cows not as many people realize that...

Horses are not simple creatures -- I wish they were. Even if the fracture could be stabilized, the mare may not have had the temperament to allow for the months and months and months required for the injury to heal. The other problem with fractures in the lower leg is that they are often compound and/or usually affect/inhibit blood flow below that part of the leg. Not to mention laminitis.

Another thing to think about is that not all horses can handle a "low-key lifestyle" -- at least not without sedation. Paddock injuries are usually the result of "playing" and to ask a mare like her to settle for the rest of her life would probably have been like giving her life imprisonment.

Thank you guys, I assumed there must be a reason why euthanasia is the best course, I just feel like I see horses standing around in fields that seem to have a low key lifestyle...but of course, having no experience with them I'm probably only seeing a very small part of their life as I drive by. Plus for a horse that is probably used to having a job to do/getting a lot of activity, that would probably not make them the happiest, to have to stay sedentary for so long.

Thank you for all the information!

I have a few things to add to the above posts for more detail.

With a fracture at the knee, the joint would have either ended up fusing/having to be surgically fused, making locomotion hard, or it would likely have been damaged to the point of being doomed to be catastrophically arthritic = severe, constant pain for the rest of her life. Unfortunately, an arthritic horse can't be retired to a life of lying around the house 20 hours a day -- they have to be on their feet, both mentally and physically (and because they don't fit on the couch).

Some fractures can be fixed surgically or allowed to heal on their own (hairline fractures), but they are usually relatively simple fractures that do not involve joints, or that involve joints that can be fused with little problem (the proximal interphalangeal joint has very little motion in horses and is sometimes fused on purpose to stop the pain from severe arthritis). The larger the horse (and warmbloods tend to be on the larger side), the more likely they are to have other complications (such as laminitis) and the more stress they put on the fracture site, which also increases the demands placed on the plates (which may not be strong enough for, say, a femoral or tib/fib fracture in a 1500 lb warmblood), etc. In the textbooks on Google Books, there are a lot of instances where they say that fractures can be repaired if the horse is less than 500 lbs while horses bigger than that have a much poorer prognosis.

You can only put a cast on the lower limb (distal to the carpus/tarsus), and cast sores are common and problematic.

As mentioned above, not all horses take kindly to stall rest. Some require drugs long-term just to make them safe to handle while they are confined, and even then they may pace the stall and rear up, which obviously is not conducive to healing. I have a friend whose horse was just in for a couple days and started literally trying to climb the walls, rearing up and hopping on his hind legs while pawing up the wall with his front hooves, whenever they were turning out the other horses.

Barbaro's injury was a fractured leg, and it wasn't the fracture that meant he needed to be put down. It was the laminitis he got in the other three feet after being forced to put his weight on them. Horse hooves simply can't stand up to the extra pressure.