soon to be COMP student looking for roommate(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyoj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i decided that i want to attend COMP over TUCOM, PCOM, and UHS...reason? year-round awesome weather, and all the other important stuff, of course. but seriously, i'm moving to Pomona, CA from NY and i'd like to get some input on finding a decent place to live, and if possible, find some roommates. THANKS ALL!

Members don't see this ad.

I am on Long Island ....e-mail me and we'll chat....I am going to COMP as well...

hey guys...

correct me if i'm wrong but doesnt the school send us housing info. later on? i think i read that somewhere. anyhow i plan to live next to the campus despite the area etc etc. cuz i dont think i wanna drive to my exams after pullin an all niter (never have yet but have a feeling it will happen next year
biggrin.gif
). anyways...see u guys next year and enjoy the time we have. i sure am!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not sure about when they'll send housing info. i sent in my deposit and all i got was the physical forms and the financial aid info...
i plan on emailing student services soon about the housing issue.

They will be sending us the roomate info in Jan/Feb...I asked them and they said it will be in the mail....I actually met this guy from my interview...and we were both accepted..so we are gonna be roomates...
I am going to go out here in March to find a place...and get "prepared" for the East Coast/West Coast transition...
We shoudl all exchange e-mail addresses...the more people we know before we go...the better!!!!!!!
My e-mail is listed...so feel free to write

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 12-15-2000).]

hey guys...

yeah i agree the more people we know the better! anyhow i'll go up again one of these weekends and drive around the area and find some possible apartments. i wanna stay as close to the school as possible to avoid any traffic in the mornings...and i'll try to post some info. on here after my adventures
biggrin.gif
if the housing/roomie info. hasn't arrived in january. now gotta go enjoy the time we still have!
biggrin.gif

oh yes...my email that i use daily is [email protected] but i'm gonna graduate early and so the account might close about march. i'll post a hotmail one later...feel free to email...

Thanks PV1, this housing ifo would be greatly appreciated.
tongue.gif

Hey guys/gals,

I'm very familiar w/ the area. The advice I've gotten from the 1st and 2nd year students is to live in Chino Hills. It's about 20 minutes from COMP, but it's in a very nice neighborhood. Housing and complexes are fairly new. Other places to consider is La Verne and San Dimas. I'd stay away from Pomona, Montclair, and Claremont. If you have any other questions just post. I hope to meet you all at our summer retreat before school starts. And John, the only disadvantage of living in Chino Hills is the "farm/cow" smell you noticed when you interviewed down here, but lately it seems like most of the farmlands have been converted to subdivisions from my observation...I know it's not something familiar to you New Yorkers. Let me know how things go.

Your future classmate,
Rob

Robb,
I want to thank you for remembering me in your post...and my "Dairy" issues. I have overcome my cow-a-phobia..and I am quite excited to do this L.A. thing.
I will be going down to L.A. in March...e-mail me and we can get together when I am down there. I am coming with another fellow "COMP-er".
I have met several of our future classmates...and I am quite excited to meet more people....Hopefully I will get to see you when I am down there...we have some more DRINKING to do.....!!!!!! I need to find another Boston blonde....
Drop me a line when you get a chance.....

Healthy Mind...Healthy Body

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 12-17-2000).]

Hey guys, I interviewed with RobbC (hey Robb!) and currently live near Pomona (in Loma Linda) where I am a graduate student. I am supposed to begin next year with you guys, but am requesting a one year deferment to help start a local medical clinic.

Anyhow, regarding your questions about where to live, I will echo what Robb has said. Pomona and Claremont are not great areas to live in. Chino Hills and San Dimas are both nice (San Dimas makes your drive to the beach a little shorter!!) As you will soon learn about how traffic works in SoCal, we don't talk about distance in miles, we talk about it in time. All of the LA surrounding areas have tremendous rush hour traffic (all heading into LA in the morning and out of LA in the evening). Therefore, the best direction to drive at either of those times is the opposite one. So, it is best to live west of Pomona so that at peak times you are driving against everyone else in SoCal.

San Dimas is a pretty cool place that puts you near a lot of hip places surrounding LA.

My email is attached on my profile, so feel free to write me with other q's or just gab! Welcome to COMP and SoCal, and if my deferment isn't granted I will see ya next year!

Hi all,

Im a local as well, and would have to recomend Brea, Chino Hills (great area, commute is not as busy) and Claremont (if you HAVE to). Anyways, I'm looking to move closer to COMP this summer and will be looking for study-minded/conservative roomates. email is [email protected]

Hi y'all,
just wanted to chime in since I might be going to COMP next year. Yeah, as mentioned above in a few of the posts, Chino Hills was mentioned a bunch of times by students I met during OMAC and on the interview day. I don't really know of any students that live right next to campus (I recall someone saying they wanted to live closeby so they wouldn't have to drive to school after an allnighter).. but I have a feeling most students are in the same boat as they have about a 5-15 minute drive to school.

I had no idea Brea or San Dimas were that close to the school. I do know that some parts of Claremont are pretty nice as I have spent a little time wandering around Pomona College with some friends, but I have a feeling it is kinda pricey to live there. I guess if you're somewhere near the 60 freeway that wouldn't be too bad though.. I always recall there being tons of traffic nearing Pomona on I-10... it just appears out of nowhere to me! (hwy. 60 is parallel to I-10, runs W-E, and is a couple miles south of I-10.. seems like a good alternative). At any rate, I guess I'll wait for whatever they mail us in January/February regarding some housing options.. they might send us one of those apartment guides you can get at a local grocery store (which are actually helpful for a start). If none of those choices are too good I'll try some local contacts. In the meantime, hope to hear from you guys in the next couple of months. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by melancholy (edited 12-18-2000).]

dude, there are cows in California? i know upstate new york has a couple of cows or two, but i never figured Cali to have any...Anyway, all this info is going to make the move west a bit easier for some of us east coast people...by the way, yosh, what's all this about a "Boston blond"?

just came back from an interview at PCOM...the place was huge and they even have the 76ers practice in their gym, but it was damn cold...SoCal here I come!

glad you guys dropped a line...can't wait for the fall.
~jay

About the "Boston" blonde...after my interview....I met up with RobbC...and we went out for a few drinks...and were bull****ing about college and fraternity stories, we were both SigEps, different colleges. Anyway...were were drinking at this bar and after my crazy stories of shamelessness...he wanted to see me to pick someone up. I approached this HOT leggy blonde(of course..why make things easy???)After talking for like 20 minutes, I was only to find she had a boyfriend...which was of no problem to me...but apparently of consequence to her. Sadly..I decided not to pursue it.
As I leaving the bar, I was like Robb....If I come back here....I need a California blonde...kind of a bad joke...but since he mentioned the cows...I figured I'd give him a shout about the "Boston Blonde" at the bar..

Till Cali comes my way....

awesome. my friend is a SigEp at Penn...never a dull moment when you're with those dudes.

anyway, what's the deal with the laptops? i can't remember if they give us one for keeps or if they give us one just on loan.

can somebody refresh my memory about the new curriculum? it seems to be the theme of the year. all four schools i interviewed at had something special to say about their "new" curriculum.

later days.
~jay

i think they exchange the laptop between our 2nd and 3rd year...we get a new one. i believe i have also heard that we get to keep it after we graduate. but that laptop isn't worth the 5,000 or so we pay for it. anyway i plan on buying myself a nice laptop to last all 4 years and i'll give the skool computer to my brother...thats the plan. as far as the new program goes we were told there would be more pbl based approaches, more clinical experience, and less class time. thats as much as i know. just curious, is anyone planning to live on their own w/o a roomie?

Originally posted by PV1:
i think they exchange the laptop between our 2nd and 3rd year...we get a new one. i believe i have also heard that we get to keep it after we graduate. but that laptop isn't worth the 5,000 or so we pay for it. just curious, is anyone planning to live on their own w/o a roomie?

Yeah I think that's how it goes.. they switch us with a supposedly newer laptop between the 2nd and 3rd years. I just don't remember the fees being 5000 or so.. I think it's more like 2000 each time we get a laptop.. but I could be wrong (I hope it's something cheaper). I just know that there are some students that probably never even touched their laptop, but I guess we'll wait and see if they ever decide to reconsider the laptop policy. Maybe it will come in handy to surf the 'net when you're bored in lecture. :p

Actually, if I end up going to COMP (most likely) I might look into finding my own place. I've lived in studios the past couple of years and I think I've gotten used to that sense of privacy and having my own place to mess up (or clean up). Still, if I get to know some folks better at that retreat maybe I'll see what opportunities there are for rooming. Any thoughts?

Have you guys considered Upland? There are a lot more apartment options & it A LOT cheaper than Chino Hills & CLaremont. Plus the area is just as nice if not better. Perfect for a budgeting medical student like myself
smile.gif

Pomona & Ontario are shady areas, but its do-able + cheap. Its very tolerable.....trust me!

San Dimas & Brea are still a drive. Well, regardless of where you live (unless its right in Pomona) then everything is still a drive to the campus. Approx 10 min from Ontario, Upland, Chino, & Claremont. Approx 15-20 from San Dimas & maybe 25 from Brea. No walking distances unless you are right next to the school (only ONE apartment if I recall)

I hope this info helps! Good luck to you all!

Rob
COMP MS III

Is there a particular location where most of the COMP students live? Or are they pretty scattered?

~Jay

I am a 1st year student and I live in a Pomona barrio within walking distance to the campus. It doesn't bother me to live in the immediate area, however, I am a bad a@#! For those students who require more security,I know of at least 3 students that live in the El Serano apartments ~10 minutes from school. The complex is on the Pomona/Claremont border, quiet, gated, and not too expensive from what I have been told. The drive to school is a straight shot down Towne ave (no freeways). I don't have the number, but I am sure 411 for Claremont or Pomona will provide the #. Relax and take it easy! You have the summer to work out the details. From what I gather, there is no apt. shortage in the immediate area. If you have trouble finding a place, my neighbor got capped recently in a drive-by, and his place should be available!
tongue.gif

I am all about the GHETTO!!!!
Sign me up!!!

See you in August!!

Birthdays were the worst days...now we sippin' champagne when we thirsty!!!

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 12-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 01-02-2001).]