Sooo... my AACOMAS App got verified today.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruinevil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Science GPA: 2.878
Cumulative GPA: 2.897

MCAT: 9V 11P 12B

Did some research and hung out in a hospital a bit, got letters from both places.

Should I start looking at graduate school?

:\

Members don't see this ad.

Well you already answered your own question; you stated your aacomas was verified today, that means you are considering/applied already.

Regarding your chances at medical school, your MCAT score of 32 is excellent, congratulations. The score will be used to justify your low GPA, but be prepared for an explanation why your GPA is so low at interview. It is important you have solid Letters of Recommendations; you need something in addition to the MCAT to offset your GPA. If you got money to burn, apply to a good 10 or more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Science GPA: 2.878
Cumulative GPA: 2.897

MCAT: 9V 11P 12B

Did some research and hung out in a hospital a bit, got letters from both places.

Should I start looking at graduate school?

:\

I applied with a 32 and a 3.24overall, and 3.11 sci gpa. however, the gpa is due to a couple retakes. My gpa withut retakes would have been 3.02 and 2.9sci. Take that for what its worth. I think the 2.8 will be hard to over come, but you have a chance.

I applied with a 32 and a 3.24overall, and 3.11 sci gpa. however, the gpa is due to a couple retakes. My gpa withut retakes would have been 3.02 and 2.9sci. Take that for what its worth. I think the 2.8 will be hard to over come, but you have a chance.

I'm going to be honest, with a sub-3.0 GPA the odds are stacked against you. I have seen it done, but the odds aren't excellent. The MCAT is excellent (I got the same score 13 VR, 10 PS, 9 BS) and I also have a low GPA 3.238 and science GPA 3.035, but I know that it's important to surpass that 3.0 mark. If you don't get in this cycle, consider a 1-year postbacc or a graduate masters program.

The good news is that you already spent the money so you might as well write stellar essays for those secondaries and get them in AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Best of luck to you...I truly hope that you get in and I didn't mean to discourage you. Let us know what happens :)

PS: I would encourage you to apply to some of the newer DO schools, because they usually (no flames, please) have fewer applicants and thus yield a higher acceptance rate.

Under a 3.0, I definitely would not apply MD even though your MCAT is at their levels... unless, of course, your grandpa is on the admissions committee... :luck:

I agree with drmax. Give it all you got since you got this far, but be prepared to fall back on plan B. I would add some more ECs too if you have to reapply. Good luck! Let us all know how it works out!:luck: :D

Don't apply to grad school unless you really want to get a graduate degree before or instead of a medical degree.
The advice above suggesting that you should get the secondaries in ASAP is golden!
Good Luck!

hey to the OP, I was just wondering if you could say when you submitted all your materials.

AACOMAS say my last transcript got there at 11/17/06.

Hopkins and laziness ruined my life goals. :\

A T Still University - College of Osteopathic Medicine - Mesa AZ 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Bradenton FL 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus PA 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology NY 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine FL 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus PA 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Nevada NV 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine ME 11/11/2006 Not Mailed

I have the exact same stats as drmax except with a 30 MCAT...I started off poorly and picked it up later...be sure to bring it up if thats the case. Good Luck

I'm going to be honest, with a sub-3.0 GPA the odds are stacked against you. I have seen it done, but the odds aren't excellent. The MCAT is excellent (I got the same score 13 VR, 10 PS, 9 BS) and I also have a low GPA 3.238 and science GPA 3.035, but I know that it's important to surpass that 3.0 mark. If you don't get in this cycle, consider a 1-year postbacc or a graduate masters program.

The good news is that you already spent the money so you might as well write stellar essays for those secondaries and get them in AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Best of luck to you...I truly hope that you get in and I didn't mean to discourage you. Let us know what happens :)

PS: I would encourage you to apply to some of the newer DO schools, because they usually (no flames, please) have fewer applicants and thus yield a higher acceptance rate.

Under a 3.0, I definitely would not apply MD even though your MCAT is at their levels... unless, of course, your grandpa is on the admissions committee... :luck:

Don't flame me, please.

I would encourage you to add LMU-DCOM. They just opened this year. Most of the schools havea 2.75 cutoff but you surpass that. Beware of the schools that have a 3.0 cutoff if there are any. These are things you should check prior to sending in money and secondary apps. I know in my case, I haven't heard back from PCOM, and DRKUBA got waitlisted by UNECOM with better stats. Make sure you kill those secondary essays!

AACOMAS say my last transcript got there at 11/17/06.

Hopkins and laziness ruined my life goals. :\

A T Still University - College of Osteopathic Medicine - Mesa AZ 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Bradenton FL 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus PA 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology NY 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine FL 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus PA 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Nevada NV 11/11/2006 Not Mailed
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine ME 11/11/2006 Not Mailed

Ok, you say you app got verified...and 'these are my stats.'

Just have to ask...as maybe I missed something.

It sounds as though you didn't expect this. Did you figure your GPA 'before' you sent your app in? If so, what did you figure it would be...vs...what they came up with.

Have to agree that you are fighting an uphill battle, but a battle that can definitely be won...if you fight hard enough...and you truly want to win. A few retakes might drastically change your GPA (as far as the osteo schools are concerned). Next years app cycle isn't that far away...AND there will be a few new schools.

Don't give up.

Really curious though about the GPA calcs...was it unexpected...and if so...what happened? Did they not recognize certain classes as science maybe?

Don't flame me, please.

I would encourage you to add LMU-DCOM. They just opened this year. Most of the schools havea 2.75 cutoff but you surpass that. Beware of the schools that have a 3.0 cutoff if there are any. These are things you should check prior to sending in money and secondary apps. I know in my case, I haven't heard back from PCOM, and DRKUBA got waitlisted by UNECOM with better stats. Make sure you kill those secondary essays!

What is THAT supposed to mean?!?!:mad: +pissed+ LOL! Just teasing you. I will say that LMU-DCOM has gotten more applications than they expected so far. Also, in my interview they talked a lot about my clinical experience. We didn't really talk about my GPA or MCAT at all. I know the MCAT is not the issue, but I think the GPA may be. They are also already scheduling interviews through January. Of course, I agree that DCOM should be added because it is a great school, but I don't think that it will be much easier to get in than the other schools. Also, I know DRKUBA was waitlisted at UNECOM, but there could have been any number of different reasons for that and not because of his STATS. Basically, I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't think that there is any school that is easier to get accepted to than the next. It is a combination of factors that lead to an acceptance and I think that ruinevil should apply to the schools that he/she like and hope for the best. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
What is THAT supposed to mean?!?!:mad: +pissed+ LOL! Just teasing you. I will say that LMU-DCOM has gotten more applications than they expected so far. Also, in my interview they talked a lot about my clinical experience. We didn't really talk about my GPA or MCAT at all. I know the MCAT is not the issue, but I think the GPA may be. They are also already scheduling interviews through January. Of course, I agree that DCOM should be added because it is a great school, but I don't think that it will be much easier to get in than the other schools. Also, I know DRKUBA was waitlisted at UNECOM, but there could have been any number of different reasons for that and not because of his STATS. Basically, I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't think that there is any school that is easier to get accepted to than the next. It is a combination of factors that lead to an acceptance and I think that ruinevil should apply to the schools that he/she like and hope for the best. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

AND let me stress that from what I have heard DCOM will become a superb institution over the course of its accreditation. It has some really excellent professors and from what I have heard it is simply amazing in terms of facilities. Just because it's inaugural year might have lower statistical averages it is simply due to its age and not its quality of education. This has been the case for many of the new schools and it is important to differentiate between difficulty of entrance vs. overall rigor of the courseload. DCOM will likely turn out to have amazing board scores in two years...

I'm just saying that DCOM opened its doors to applications partway through the admissions cycle for the entering class of 2007 which could account for lower than maximal total applicants (even if it is higher than predicted). I am not sure you can really argue with that. This fact makes it an excellent opportunity for applicants to enter a great institution which is likely to raise its admissions standards in the coming years as it gains more recognition.

Doctormom or anyone who is going to enter DCOM, please don't take offense. It is not my intent to insult the school or its first class in any way ;)

AND I only bring up DRKUBA's waitlist (which could have been caused by the whole parking in the dean's spot incident HAHA) bc we are mdapps twins and he applied to some schools which I didn't... I only talked about this to highlight the fact that those with better scores are facing an uphill battle as well (sort of scare tactics to get him to kill those secondaries and try his damdest :)

AND let me stress that from what I have heard DCOM will become a superb institution over the course of its accreditation. It has some really excellent professors and from what I have heard it is simply amazing in terms of facilities. Just because it's inaugural year might have lower statistical averages it is simply due to its age and not its quality of education. This has been the case for many of the new schools and it is important to differentiate between difficulty of entrance vs. overall rigor of the courseload. DCOM will likely turn out to have amazing board scores in two years...

I'm just saying that DCOM opened its doors to applications partway through the admissions cycle for the entering class of 2007 which could account for lower than maximal total applicants (even if it is higher than predicted). I am not sure you can really argue with that. This fact makes it an excellent opportunity for applicants to enter a great institution which is likely to raise its admissions standards in the coming years as it gains more recognition.

Doctormom or anyone who is going to enter DCOM, please don't take offense. It is not my intent to insult the school or its first class in any way ;)

:D I didn't take offense. I was just picking on you. It takes a lot to get me upset. I have learned not to stress out and get upset over the small things in life. Anyway, I can argue with anything. LOL!;) They were only expecting to get something like 2000 for the entire application process and close to two months ago I think they already had 1500. How many applications do most schools get? Whatever the reason, I think that EVERYONE should apply to DCOM. I feel that it will be one of the top schools in the next few years and I totally agree with what you said in this post.:D :luck:

:D I didn't take offense. I was just picking on you. It takes a lot to get me upset. I have learned not to stress out and get upset over the small things in life. Anyway, I can argue with anything. LOL!;) They were only expecting to get something like 2000 for the entire application process and close to two months ago I think they already had 1500. How many applications do most schools get? Whatever the reason, I think that EVERYONE should apply to DCOM. I feel that it will be one of the top schools in the next few years and I totally agree with what you said in this post.:D :luck:

That is a healthy amt for a new school to say the least especially considering it wasn't available for the entire cycle :thumbup: I'd be interested in how many completed applications they have and how many they interview.

Some stats in terms of total applicants to other DO schools (for 2005) according to US News & WR's "Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools":

LECOM: 4,251
NYCOM: 3,297
PCOM: 3,825
CCOM: 1,645 - ???!!! really!? Can someone explain this please!?
DMU: 2,387
VCOM: 1,677
NSUCOM: 2,541
UMDNJ-SOM: 2,401

etc...

Do some of the schools report total AACOMAS whereas others only report completed applications!?

According to the TPR book I have, the CCOM number is different.. I will post to see if there are more discrepancies later (I'm assuming it is using a different year of data possibly..)

TPR's Best 162 Medical Schools

Total Applicants for 2004??

CCOM: 2,934 total
PCOM: 3,154 total
UMDNJ-SOM: 1,734 total
NSU-COM: 1218
LECOM: 3,350

A lot of difference... maybe AACOM has better totals bc these are very different...

well i think that a new school always gets a lot of attention...Ppl want to get in and there is always some wierd reasoning that a new school will be easier to get in. When in fact it may be even harder.
Thinking like a regular applicant here... i'd rather go to new school then not go to med school at all this is a major factor making ppl apply. If really want it who cares there is no statistical data for that school yet.It's accredited...and the problem is that all ppl think that way that is why there is so many applications to new schools.

Your biggest problem is that you are applying way late. Don't look at graduate school. I had sub-3.0 gpas (2.94 and 2.97) and only a 28 MCAT. Lots of research, but not much volunteering. I applied in July, and got 2 interviews out of 3 schools. Don't give up!

rgerwin, it's important to give yourself some credit..

you have some really interesting extra credits and probably a killer personal statement... did you discuss the situation with your mother (if you don't mind me asking... you had it on your mdapps, so i thought it was fair game..)

i had a unique situation with my mother dying at a very young age which i discussed bc it's changed my entire life and is a huge inspiration... i don't want to discuss the specifics here...

You could absolutely talk about your mother. I'm sure there are things about yourself that are also unique, but maybe you've never thought of them that way. I never taught Hebrew to be an interesting person. I just enjoy it and it pays really well. I'm sure my PS was good, but I would describe it as killer. It was honest, though, which I think goes a long way with DO schools. You're more than welcome to read it. By now, so have dozens of other strangers.

Don't flame me, please.

Interesting enough, as I was talking with one of the interviewers at DCOM, he said that they have had a wide range of applicants, many with MCAT scores in the 30's and with barely sub-4.00 gpa. He stressed to me that it is so important to interview rather than give away acceptances based on the numbers, because frankly, he said, he didnt want to end up hating half of the class because some of the students turned out to be A-holes. He said that DCOM is very careful with whom they give an acceptance to: to be sure to make the best fit for the school. This, I am sure, is the way it is with many schools.

Original poster, you have a good chance. I would apply asap. Make sure that you can dazzle schools with more than your great MCAT score (e.g. EC's, volunteer, clinical/patient exposure, and very strong LOR's)

Good luck to you!!!!

Interesting enough, as I was talking with one of the interviewers at DCOM, he said that they have had a wide range of applicants, many with MCAT scores in the 30's and with barely sub-4.00 gpa. He stressed to me that it is so important to interview rather than give away acceptances based on the numbers, because frankly, he said, he didnt want to end up hating half of the class because some of the students turned out to be A-holes. He said that DCOM is very careful with whom they give an acceptance to: to be sure to make the best fit for the school. This, I am sure, is the way it is with many schools.

Original poster, you have a good chance. I would apply asap. Make sure that you can dazzle schools with more than your great MCAT score (e.g. EC's, volunteer, clinical/patient exposure, and very strong LOR's)

Good luck to you!!!!

Wow, did someone really say that?!?! That makes me feel good! LOL! :D I LOVE DCOM!!!:love: :love: :love: Seriously, my stats are not the highest either, but somehow I have done really well with the application process. I think my personal statement, my ECs, my personality in the interviews, and the fact that I am non-trad have all played a major role in it. So, it really is not all numbers. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: