Sooo Pre-Med or Healthcare Administration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stick to being pre-med or pursue health care administration?

• Pre-Med!

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Healthcare Administration!

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

Bare with me, this is gonna be a long post but only because I feel that all the details mentioned are important.

So my life plan since like 8 was to be a doctor which was my main motivation growing up to be a good student which paid off because I was able to get a highly ranked private university in Boston. But during freshman year, I've became a pretty lazy college student which lead to me getting my first D and F and forcing myself to switch from being a physics major to a philosophy major (note: I'm not a bio major bc I knew I can major in whatever I want and still be premed so I just decided to chose what peaked my interest at the time)

Sophomore year comes around and I'm not as lazy as I used to be but realized that my study skills for my pre-med classes are poor and had a concussion which led to me getting Bs, Cs, and two W's in my science classes.

Junior year pulls up and I'm overloading with non-science classes in an attempt to boost my GPA. However I spread myself too thin with doing that, research 12 hrs a week, karate 6 hrs a week, and doing a lot of random time-consuming tasks for the family business which led to me getting me 2 Fs, a D, an incomplete grade, and being academically suspended for a semester.

After this, I had a major low point in my life due to family biz and personal issues and ended up taking a leave of absence for a semester after my suspension ended.

Jan 2017 arrives and I'm back in college, however, one secret is that I've yet to get my incomplete removed because I legit get anxiety and freak even thinking about doing to work for it bc I know my GPA was depending on that grade. I went to the school therapist to talk about it but he wasn't helpful tbh and I was not able to switch therapists. That semester I got A-s and Bs in my non-science classes but a D replaced that I and now all my motivation is gone bc I know that my GPA is trash.

The fact that I may not be pre-med anymore has hindered my motivation to get straight As ever since and only been getting A-s and Bs. I've looked into healthcare administration but I need a 3.0 GPA to get into those masters programs and I'm gonna end up leaving college with a 2.8 GPA after calculating it with straight A's next semester and over the summer. But I've heard that some post-bac programs take students with under a 3.0 GPA.

So now I'm torn. My love for medicine has never left but at the same time, I don't want to waste my time and money trying to be an MD (now considering DO but really MD) if it's not a realistic option. However, I realized that my chances at MHA programs aren't that great either so now I don't know what which one I have a better chance at. Also don't even mention PA, nursing, or public health bc I've looked into those, talked to people in those fields, and I'm not interested.

I want everyone's input on this but if the lovely @Goro and @LizzyM can give me their wisdom too that would be great :D

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible for you to delay graduation by not taking 1/2 classes on time and take them the following semester? That way you can take extra classes to bring your gpa to a 3.00 and you don't have to do a post-bac. Post-bac programs are usually expensive.

Healthcare administration sounds good.

Is it possible for you to delay graduation by not taking 1/2 classes on time and take them the following semester? That way you can take extra classes to bring your gpa to a 3.00 and you don't have to do a post-bac. Post-bac programs are usually expensive.

Healthcare administration sounds good.

Not too sure if I can do that tbh. I'm paying for colleges with loans but the ones I usually take out/look into for full-time students.
Plus since my rents are paying my loans, they will be hesitant with me staying in college longer than I have to.
My post-grad education costs are on me btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read this:
Goro’s advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Bare with me, this is gonna be a long post but only because I feel that all the details mentioned are important.

So my life plan since like 8 was to be a doctor which was my main motivation growing up to be a good student which paid off because I was able to get a highly ranked private university in Boston. But during freshman year, I've became a pretty lazy college student which lead to me getting my first D and F and forcing myself to switch from being a physics major to a philosophy major (note: I'm not a bio major bc I knew I can major in whatever I want and still be premed so I just decided to chose what peaked my interest at the time)

Sophomore year comes around and I'm not as lazy as I used to be but realized that my study skills for my pre-med classes are poor and had a concussion which led to me getting Bs, Cs, and two W's in my science classes.

Junior year pulls up and I'm overloading with non-science classes in an attempt to boost my GPA. However I spread myself too thin with doing that, research 12 hrs a week, karate 6 hrs a week, and doing a lot of random time-consuming tasks for the family business which led to me getting me 2 Fs, a D, an incomplete grade, and being academically suspended for a semester.

After this, I had a major low point in my life due to family biz and personal issues and ended up taking a leave of absence for a semester after my suspension ended.

Jan 2017 arrives and I'm back in college, however, one secret is that I've yet to get my incomplete removed because I legit get anxiety and freak even thinking about doing to work for it bc I know my GPA was depending on that grade. I went to the school therapist to talk about it but he wasn't helpful tbh and I was not able to switch therapists. That semester I got A-s and Bs in my non-science classes but a D replaced that I and now all my motivation is gone bc I know that my GPA is trash.

The fact that I may not be pre-med anymore has hindered my motivation to get straight As ever since and only been getting A-s and Bs. I've looked into healthcare administration but I need a 3.0 GPA to get into those masters programs and I'm gonna end up leaving college with a 2.8 GPA after calculating it with straight A's next semester and over the summer. But I've heard that some post-bac programs take students with under a 3.0 GPA.

So now I'm torn. My love for medicine has never left but at the same time, I don't want to waste my time and money trying to be an MD (now considering DO but really MD) if it's not a realistic option. However, I realized that my chances at MHA programs aren't that great either so now I don't know what which one I have a better chance at. Also don't even mention PA, nursing, or public health bc I've looked into those, talked to people in those fields, and I'm not interested.

I want everyone's input on this but if the lovely @Goro and @LizzyM can give me their wisdom too that would be great :D

Be a healthcare admin — make rules that you don’t have to follow, have 0 liability and enjoy the bonus of having no idea what it’s like to care for patients! What’s not to love. Also no Med school.

Reactions: 1 users

What are you going to do with MHA?

Nursing Home Administrators? A lot of them are taken by Nurses with Masters degrees. A lot of hospital leadershp positions are taken by clinicians with experience. Many hospital administrative positions are taken by MBAs and other real degrees and experiences. I think MHA is a leadership degree for professonal careers.

I heard that MBA (with emphasis in Hospital asministration) has more weight.

MD/DO vs. MHA are very different things. Being a Physician makes you a part of a respectable and truly great profession (most of the time) while the other makes you just another suit in a hospital who most likely won't ever make physician money (I know some hospital administrators do...some exceed by millions, but most don't). Also if you truly have an interest in medicine/biology/anything science you're pretty much saying goodbye to that in an MHA career pathway. Then all you learn is management of money, personnel, etc.

It is still possible to become a physician, just follow Goro's advice to a T and DO NOT waiver. The good news is all you've done is get some bad grades. The only time medicine stops becoming an option is when you have conduct or criminal record issues. Otherwise, bad grades are truly recoverable if you reinvent yourself. It can't be half assed anymore...you have to commit and dedicate your life to medicine from now on. Stop feeling bad for yourself about your last couple of years and JUST DO IT. YOU CAN. If you do that, you will become a doctor. Whether you will do is all up to you.

Otherwise, do not become a hospital administrator just because you don't think you can become a Doctor, and you think that being in the hospital is somewhat similar or will give you some sort of satisfaction. They are about as different of careers as you can have. There are many other careers you might enjoy completely non health related. Becoming a hospital administrator when your original dream was to be a Doc is a quick way to always be regretful and resentful at work. In fact, I think this is why so many hospital administrators are so unbearable for docs lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the responses so far!
Definitely have a lot of thinking to do now...
But is the consensus that I have a better chance at MD than healthcare admin then??

Thanks for all the responses so far!
Definitely have a lot of thinking to do now...
But is the consensus that I have a better chance at MD than healthcare admin then??
it's definitely easier to get into MHA, but in the long run you will be better off with the former.