Sophomore in high school aspiring to become a doctor.

Excusemesir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am a sophomore in high school and ive always wanted to become a doctor, though i dont know what to specialize in yet

However, i have considered studying in the Philippines for college. How would i transition from an American high school to a foreign college?

Members don't see this ad.

However, i have considered studying in the Philippines for college. How would i transition from an American high school to a foreign college?

If your ultimate goal is to practice in America, then AVOID FOREIGN MEDICAL SCHOOLS AT ANY COST. Focus on getting into college first before you even start to consider options other than American MD/DO schools.

If your ultimate goal is to practice in America, then AVOID FOREIGN MEDICAL SCHOOLS AT ANY COST. Focus on getting into college first before you even start to consider options other than American MD/DO schools.

It was suggested to me that if i were to go to a foreign school, i could come here for residency, then just go back to the Philippines.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was suggested to me that if i were to go to a foreign school, i could come here for residency, then just go back to the Philippines.

While this may be possible now, it is very unlikely that the same will be said by the time you enter the matching process. Even right now, it is becoming tougher and tougher to match into American residencies from the Caribbean and other foreign medical schools, and this goes double if you plan to specialize in a competitive field (ie: Cardiology, Ortho, etc). Also, even if you do have a desire to go back to the Philippines, it doesn't make matching into an American residency any easier.

Since you're a sophomore, I would still advise that you go through the normal route. That is, get into the best college you can and rock the MCAT and apply broadly to medical schools here in the United States. If you can't get into an American M.D. school, apply to American D.O. schools. Both routes are much better than the foreign route if you plan to complete your training in America. Foreign medical schools should be your last option, and should only be an option if you do not manage to make it into an American medical school (M.D./D.O.) AT ALL. Residency programs here favor American graduates, plain and simple. Attending a foreign school will only make this an uphill battle.

P.S. If you do a search about Caribbean/Foreign medical schools on here, you will find that the general consensus is that these schools should be a last resort. Always.

Is it your goal to practice in the Philippines? Do they have residencies over there? The expense of taking the USMLE, ECFMG, flying to interviews etc. is not worthwhile if your goal is to stay in the Philippines. There is certainly a need for MDs there, since a large number comes here to practice.

I am not really sure yet.

Practicing there would be more ideal if i do decide to study in the Philippines. The money would be far less than if i were to work in the States, but it isnt really a concern of mine at the moment.

The driving factor for me is that i enjoy the Filipino culture and lifestyle better than living in America. Yet again, I'm young so im inclined to which ever seems more "fun".

I know of several physicians from the Philipines. NY and WV are apparently super easy to get a license, so you see more Filipino and Indian docs in training there.
One of my partners and his wife trained in the Philippines then moved here for residencies. He was lucky to find a spot in Radiology, but that was 30 years ago.
A fellow resident is from Hawaii. He went to Nebraska and probably was rejected stateside. He had a blast attending med school in the Philippines. Saved a lot of money too. He got into Radiology after a full Internal Medicine residency.
So it can and has been done. But it will be a challenge to get into a residency program here, and near impossible if you are trying a more competitive specialty.
Good luck.:laugh:

I know of several physicians from the Philipines. NY and WV are apparently super easy to get a license, so you see more Filipino and Indian docs in training there.
One of my partners and his wife trained in the Philippines then moved here for residencies. He was lucky to find a spot in Radiology, but that was 30 years ago.
A fellow resident is from Hawaii. He went to Nebraska and probably was rejected stateside. He had a blast attending med school in the Philippines. Saved a lot of money too. He got into Radiology after a full Internal Medicine residency.
So it can and has been done. But it will be a challenge to get into a residency program here, and near impossible if you are trying a more competitive specialty.

...and he was "lucky"? :eek:

...and he was "lucky"? :eek:

Radiology has been a highly to most-competitive specialty and even near AOA only, for many years in its history. This changed for a two year period in 1996-1997 and in this cycle, both times due to the job market.

Dermatology seems to be better attuned to the demand and hence no glut. Kudos to the Dermatology Board.

How exactly does one go from an American system to a foreign college? What are the paperworks and such? Do they recognize SAT scores over there as well?

EDIT: What is a good major for pre med? I was suggested to take up nursing for pre med, and just add in a little more time to finish the prerequisites for med school. That way, i can always get a job in case i change my mind, etc.

Woah..or is it woa

Anyways, Time to hijack this thread. OP, it is not impossible for you to attend a na foreign institution. As someone with an American-Nigerian backgorund, I have a couple relatives back "home" who get an MD equivalent and come to the United States to challenge the mighty USMLE Exasm (i.e. steps 1-3). They then match into a respectable specialty and begin residency and often do a fellowship. Don't listen to what any naysayers say here: You can do anything....

However, if you choose to screw around in med school and undergrad and expect to get into a good program, you then arer just one stupid *****. I would advise you to stick to the US unless you are really sentimental about the Philipines.

I'm done. Cue Busta Rhymes.

Hello, i am a sophomore in high school and ive always wanted to become a doctor, though i dont know what to specialize in yet

don't go to a foreign college if wanting to practice in U.S.

Go to College in U.S
volunteer clinical/non-clinical
community service
shadowing doctors
etc..