South florida pcat class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annette22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken this class or used material from Dr.John collins class.If you did was it helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

annette22 said:
Has anyone taken this class or used material from Dr.John collins class.If you did was it helpful.
Damn!!! I guess the jig is FINALLY up :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Iseebigppl said:
I took it. It made me want to become a PCAT prep teacher, not a pharmacist. :laugh:

Was it helpful when you took the PCAT?

highlyfavored said:
Was it helpful when you took the PCAT?

on my first, yes. On my second, not as much. (I think they changed around the second pcat a LOT)

Iseebigppl said:
on my first, yes. On my second, not as much. (I think they changed around the second pcat a LOT)

How much time was there between you taking the prep class and your first PCAT? what about the second one? How much time did you spend reviewing the material from the class? Do you use any other study material besides this class?

TIA

i've heard about this class, and it sounded hella sketchy. the way people were talking about it at my nova interview, it sounded like they were practically handed answers. strongly influenced my decision not to attend. is this dude just that good?

highlyfavored said:
How much time was there between you taking the prep class and your first PCAT? what about the second one? How much time did you spend reviewing the material from the class? Do you use any other study material besides this class?

TIA

Respectively...

It ended one week before (maybe two). However my pcat was delayed due to the florida hurricanes, so it was more like a month.

one or two weeks.

For the first PCAT, .5 hours.

Second, about 6 hours.

no other study material.

I was just enrolled in organic 1 and calc for my first pcat, so I did not know a lot of material. I got an 88 on that one. (I looked at the review packets after the pcat, and WISHED i would have studied. Many answers were exactly alike. The class helped me review much of the materials, though.

For the second PCAT, I studied the packets, but it seemed like they changed a lot of the questions on that one, so the packets did not help me as much on that one. However, I believe other things accounted for my 94 on my second one.

most helpful, in my opinion....

verbal: Packets, definately. Also, be generally well read (which I am not)

Reading: The absolute best thing for this IMO was taking the PCAT the first time. I was able to really figure out what they wanted the second time around. My grade went form a 67 to a 95.

Chem: The class by Dr. Collins (not the packets) and just generally knowing more from having completed organic 1 contributed to going form a 56 to a 92.

Math: The class was very helpful with some shortcuts to doing problems faster, as well as a very good review of the kind of math that was going to be on the PCAT. 90, 89.

Bio: The class and the small (very small) amount of studying the packets were very helpful on the first PCAT. However, it seemed on the second pcat this section was changed drastically. I have a strong bio background, and found the first pcat very, very easy on this section. However, the second PCAT seemed to have about 20% micro questions on it (which i have not taken). The questions were also more challenging. 98, 84.

Iseebigppl said:
Respectively...

It ended one week before (maybe two). However my pcat was delayed due to the florida hurricanes, so it was more like a month.

one or two weeks.

For the first PCAT, .5 hours.

Second, about 6 hours.

no other study material.

I was just enrolled in organic 1 and calc for my first pcat, so I did not know a lot of material. I got an 88 on that one. (I looked at the review packets after the pcat, and WISHED i would have studied. Many answers were exactly alike. The class helped me review much of the materials, though.

For the second PCAT, I studied the packets, but it seemed like they changed a lot of the questions on that one, so the packets did not help me as much on that one. However, I believe other things accounted for my 94 on my second one.

most helpful, in my opinion....

verbal: Packets, definately. Also, be generally well read (which I am not)

Reading: The absolute best thing for this IMO was taking the PCAT the first time. I was able to really figure out what they wanted the second time around. My grade went form a 67 to a 95.

Chem: The class by Dr. Collins (not the packets) and just generally knowing more from having completed organic 1 contributed to going form a 56 to a 92.

Math: The class was very helpful with some shortcuts to doing problems faster, as well as a very good review of the kind of math that was going to be on the PCAT. 90, 89.

Bio: The class and the small (very small) amount of studying the packets were very helpful on the first PCAT. However, it seemed on the second pcat this section was changed drastically. I have a strong bio background, and found the first pcat very, very easy on this section. However, the second PCAT seemed to have about 20% micro questions on it (which i have not taken). The questions were also more challenging. 98, 84.

Thanks so much for your responses you have been very helpful! :thumbup:
On the reading section, do you find it difficult to answer questions like "what is the author's tone?" I seldom get those correct. :(

highlyfavored said:
Thanks so much for your responses you have been very helpful! :thumbup:
On the reading section, do you find it difficult to answer questions like "what is the author's tone?" I seldom get those correct. :(

Yes, very difficult. I detest those types of questions, and there sure is plenty of them on the PCAT. That is why I believe that the first PCAT helped me out the most on my reading section. I was able to more fully comprehend exactly what they were looking for.

Also, I did not find the packets overly helpful in this regard, the pcat questions seemed much more difficult than the packet series of questions.

Can I take that class if I am not from Florida? maybe the teacher could sell me his study package?
TY

Being an instructor (SAT, ACT, LSAT) with Princeton Review, I knew I should take a prep class to halp me with the sciences. I (thankfully) opened my mouth and asked a student at UF's Fall open house how she prepared and she told me about Dr. Collins. I went from never even seeing a PCAT in November to getting scores all in the high 90s (except a 90 in Bio) and a 99 composite. Dr. Collins also met with me 3 hours out side of the class to help me on questions. They also do a mail order version. The best 500 I ever spent! Read the note packets and memeorize the practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone. Does anyone have contact information about Dr. Collins. I want to order the PCAT study packet. Please let me know. i really need the packet. Thank you .:)

annette 22,

I took the prep class Dr. Collins runs, and it helped me immensely. Of course I took the class in 2003 and I know since then the PCAT has changed. I found every section very helpful especially the math and verbal. For the math the course taught you little tricks and what to look for, it really helped me to complete the section in the time allotted. Believe me many people did not finish in the given time. All of the people who teach the course really know their sections well. I feel it was money well spent.

PMart :)
Nova class of 2008

Is This Realy True Or They Are Trying To Get Money For This..is It Realy Like The Exam Or Its Just A Bluff?

Is This Realy True Or They Are Trying To Get Money For This..is It Realy Like The Exam Or Its Just A Bluff?

well the june Pcat changed from the others so i have no idea how much of it was rewritten but its kinda tempting to just pay the $300. if it turns out to be a bluff u can always file a dispute