Southwest Baptist DPT (SBU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WORKHARDPLAYHARD111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from Southwest Baptist University's DPT yet??

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't heard anything. I just know the admissions committee meets once a month to go over applications

I actually was actually accepted this week but they said they'd be sending the admission packet but I haven't gotten that yet which is why I was asking.
Good luck!!! It's a big class so chances are good!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually was actually accepted this week but they said they'd be sending the admission packet but I haven't gotten that yet which is why I was asking.
Good luck!!! It's a big class so chances are good!
That's awesome! Congrats!
I've heard great things about SBU, so I hope I hear something! Did they call or send an email?

That's awesome! Congrats!
I've heard great things about SBU, so I hope I hear something! Did they call or send an email?

Yeah I know a couple who both went there and loved it (they are very Baptist though) and yeah I'm unbelievably excited, I just want my letter so I know it's real.
And I got an email titled "Welcome to SBU DPT". That was only the 2nd communication I got from them

Yeah I know a couple who both went there and loved it (they are very Baptist though) and yeah I'm unbelievably excited, I just want my letter so I know it's real.
And I got an email titled "Welcome to SBU DPT". That was only the 2nd communication I got from them
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?
CUM GPA- 3.45
Pre-Req 3.15
GRE V-151 Q-149 AW- 4.0
200 hours, working as a tech and admin support in an ortho office
Reference from my mentor and alumni of their 1st class

Hello! I got into SBU physical therapy school!

No! Not yet! I got the news two days ago and I'm beyond excited! I've never been to Missouri and I've never lived outside of Texas.
AHHHH Thats awesome!! Yeah I will randomly remember that I FINALLY got in sometimes and smile. IM SO EXCITED
and Nope never been there either but my mentor and his wife met there and they LOVED it and everyone ive mentioned it to enjoyed the state.
I accepted my seat last week!!!!

AHHHH Thats awesome!! Yeah I will randomly remember that I FINALLY got in sometimes and smile. IM SO EXCITED
and Nope never been there either but my mentor and his wife met there and they LOVED it and everyone ive mentioned it to enjoyed the state.
I accepted my seat last week!!!!
Ah! Yaya! I’m so excited!!

I am a current student at SBU! Feel free to send me a PM with any questions you may have!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
I just got the acceptance email this week! Just waiting on the packet that’s supposed to come in the mail.

Yay! That's exciting! I sent in my deposit today! I toured the school two weeks ago and loved it!
How long did it take for you to get the packet in the mail? I’m thinking about going to tour the school but i live out of state, were you able to tour the DPT Department?

How long did it take for you to get the packet in the mail? I’m thinking about going to tour the school but i live out of state, were you able to tour the DPT Department?[/QUOTE
It took a couple days for me! Didn’t take long. I toured the school and it helped calm my nerves about if SBU is the right school for me! Plus you get familiar with the building and where things are. The lady also helped me with financial questions, living, and I met some of the teachers. Go visit! It’s worth it. What state are you in? I’m from Texas so it was a long drive for me

How long did it take for you to get the packet in the mail? I’m thinking about going to tour the school but i live out of state, were you able to tour the DPT Department?
It took a couple days for me! Didn’t take long. I toured the school and it helped calm my nerves about if SBU is the right school for me! Plus you get familiar with the building and where things are. The lady also helped me with financial questions, living, and I met some of the teachers. Go visit! It’s worth it. What state are you in? I’m from Texas so it was a long drive for me

I’m from Colorado I was thinking of visiting sometime in the late spring or early summer

I’m from Colorado I was thinking of visiting sometime in the late spring or early summer
Okay! Email Julie Moody at
[email protected] and she’ll help you out! She was the one who showed me the school. She’s awesome! She’ll help you out with scheduling, and any questions you have (living, financial, etc)

I think it took a week or two for my packet to arrive. But I went and toured to PT facility before my packet arrived. I would highly suggest making the trip to tour the school! It really helped me choose which program I would attend and made me more familiar with the school, professors, and town.

Yeah I'm planning on visiting in maybe April or May! @ATCandDPT, what was your favorite part about the school???
My favorite part is how hands on the program is. Julie, the lady who gave me the tour, told me they want you to be able to know what you are doing before you do your clinicals. She said they don’t want you to start your clinicals never having touched a patient. They aren’t focused on making you a good test taker but a good PT. Meaning you’re able to apply what you know. They have their own clinic that is right next door. One of the classes is working in the clinic. I love how the school focuses on application.

My favorite part is how hands on the program is. Julie, the lady who gave me the tour, told me they want you to be able to know what you are doing before you do your clinicals. She said they don’t want you to start your clinicals never having touched a patient. They aren’t focused on making you a good test taker but a good PT. Meaning you’re able to apply what you know. They have their own clinic that is right next door. One of the classes is working in the clinic. I love how the school focuses on application.
That's awesome and exactly what I want in a program. I'm from NC so it will be a trek but planning on touring in April(ish)

Does anyone know if you can fail out of the program? Or does the program just hold you back until you pass the class?

Does anyone know if you can fail out of the program? Or does the program just hold you back until you pass the class?
Yes, you can fail out. The people I have talked to who are in PT school (not at SBU) said you have to maintain a B or higher in all your classes or a 3.0 in the program depending on the program or you fail. I'm not sure what SBU's rules are.

Yes, you can fail out. The people I have talked to who are in PT school (not at SBU) said you have to maintain a B or higher in all your classes or a 3.0 in the program depending on the program or you fail. I'm not sure what SBU's rules are.
Yeah, I was wondering about SBU rules bc I know some PT schools where they don't fail you. But they'll hold you back in the class. And I don't see anything on the website to let me know. But thank you!

Their student handbook, which you can find on their department page, has the department policies about this. Here is a synopsis of dismissal with concern for grades:
1. A failing grade in any required course prior to Capstone.
2. A GPA less than 3.00 while on conditional enrollment.
3. An "F" in any course if already on academic probation or conditional enrollment.
4. A second final grade of "F" beginning with Capstone through the end of final clinical education courses.

Does anyone know exactly how they involve the Christ center education? Is it like a part of every course or just like the "Christian App" class and ethics and stuff?

From my tour of the school, I was told we have a specific class that is a Christian application class. How do we apply our Christian faith in the physical therapy world without crossing any lines. And, the clinic that the school has we do our first year. It's a licensed PT, a second year student and a first year student (if I remember correctly). Our third year is only clinicals

Would you be willing to share your stats?

Sure!
Overall GPA:3.16
GRE: verbal -153 Quantitative-145 writing-4.0
Observation hours: outpatient: 100hrs
Inpatient: 150hrs
For prerequisite classes I had all A’s except for 2 B’s and 2 C’s I ended up retaking the classes I got a C in and received and A in both.

I don’t think so, they accept 80 students and as far as I know only 57 have been accepted.
Thanks for replying. I have similar stats as well. I had mostly A's and a few B's. I also retook 3 classes this fall that I had C's in and got A's. Hopefully that helps me out.
Thank you for the update as well. So far I haven't heard back from any schools besides being waitlisted at WASHU STL. I have almost 400 hours in 4 fields of PT.
I am anxious to hear from schools since I applied late.

For those that got accepted, has anyone heard back from financial aid yet?

Alright so I think I just found it.
Go to your portal, go to self-service, go to financial, go to aid. I think that's it. But I LITERALLY got absolutely nothing....

Alright so I think I just found it.
Go to your portal, go to self-service, go to financial, go to aid. I think that's it. But I LITERALLY got absolutely nothing....
Thank you!!! This was so helpful. Mine said, "In progress: your application is being reviewed by Financial Aid Office." I wonder if others have that same status right now as well....

Did anyone receive updates from financial aid yet?