Spanish Minor vs. Chemistry Minor for UC medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbythepremed9999

Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope you're doing well and staying safe.

So lately I've been on a dilemma. I'm a Neuroscience major with a minor in Chemistry. However, I was talking to a friend who claims she knows what Medical Schools in California like to see, and she said that they would rather see a Spanish minor instead of a Chemistry minor due to the large population of Latinos in California.
Since UC's are my top schools, I'm considering changing it!
I speak Spanish, English, and Portuguese, but she said that it doesn't matter if I don't have a degree in it.
I know you're going to say "do what interests you the most'' but that's not what I'm asking here.

Please help! :)

Also, any tips when applying to UC medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Spanish. You are in California mate this is a no brainer. But you don't really need a minor for it, I suggest don't bother with a minor just for the application boost. You can work with Spanish population to show you are actually applying it. And are you a sophomore this year? I might know you

Reactions: 1 users
As a general statement, Spanish language skills are valuable in the admissions process. That being said, if you speak the language you don’t need the minor. You list all languages you speak on your application. Minors, and majors for that matter, count for very very little.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any ECs where you used Spanish skills?