All Branch Topic (ABT) Special Pay restructuring in 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got it extra 200 bucks! Sweet!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I don't have my LES yet, but it looks like I did not get the different bonus for being a resident. My understanding is that VSP goes away and I get a $8k/year IP. Is this something that will happen automatically, or will I have to go to the pay office to get it switched?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I don't have my LES yet, but it looks like I did not get the different bonus for being a resident. My understanding is that VSP goes away and I get a $8k/year IP. Is this something that will happen automatically, or will I have to go to the pay office to get it switched?

It's likely going to be at least another pay period or two before you see it.

Not sure about other branches but for AF we have had IP pay contacts we need to fill out and route. it's an opt in situation, some of my fellow residents are holding off (one with prior GMO service so she's over 6 years as a MC officer) and I can't sign because it's a 1 year contract and I separate for a fellowship this July.
Our brief said we have until Jan2018 to join then it will be automatic.
It's like 250 more a month for residents so yoy should def sign

It's like 250 more a month for residents so yoy should def sign

For SOME residents. Every person should look at their situation, for many residents you should sign ASAP as it is a pay raise. For those who had to do a GMO tour it could be a pay cut and you should hold off for as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I spoke to an Army special pay person. He said that if you are a resident you will not get the extra IP money (~$200 monthly difference between new IP and old VSP) until you graduate from residency and sign your first IP contract. He said when that happens you will get back pay for the residency stuff. This seemed possible, but odd, to me so I asked him to check with his higher ups. I will post again when I hear the final answer.

I spoke to an Army special pay person. He said that if you are a resident you will not get the extra IP money (~$200 monthly difference between new IP and old VSP) until you graduate from residency and sign your first IP contract. He said when that happens you will get back pay for the residency stuff. This seemed possible, but odd, to me so I asked him to check with his higher ups. I will post again when I hear the final answer.

That doesn't make any sense at all. For one, my understanding is everybody must convert by Jan 1, 2018. At that point VSP will no longer exist. Second, when you graduate you will sign an IP contract for your new specialty which will be different than "resident" IP so why would they pay you for something you aren't signing?

I would definitely follow up with him.

They're probably just assuming our pay won't be sorted out until after any current residents have graduated.

That doesn't make any sense at all. For one, my understanding is everybody must convert by Jan 1, 2018. At that point VSP will no longer exist. Second, when you graduate you will sign an IP contract for your new specialty which will be different than "resident" IP so why would they pay you for something you aren't signing?

I would definitely follow up with him.

They're probably just assuming our pay won't be sorted out until after any current residents have graduated.

I definitely plan to follow up with him. It didn't make a ton of sense to me, either. I will let you guys know when I hear something.

Anyone hear anything?

For Navy: An email from Marin states that dfas will post the payment 1-2 months after BUMED specialty pay office receives your CSP request. For those whose request got to BUMED at end of december (like me) the money may come as late as March 1.

Finally heard something from the Army. We need to send a copy of our medical license to special pay and they will draw up a contract for us to sign to switch into the new system. So, contrary to what the special pay person told me before it sounds like we will switch rather than wait for residency to end. This makes a lot more sense.

I have a question for GMO's returning to GME as a PGY1. Will be get the bonus set for a PGY1 or a PGY 2 since we did previously complete a PGY 1 year