specialties with most pleasant patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have had plenty of sick, old patients who are complete a-holes. Plus, you have to deal with their family members.
And old people tend to smell.

Kids are the best patients because they smell much more pleasant. They are also absolutely entranced by things like stickers. I'm not sure I've ever seen an adult patient anywhere near as happy as a four year old that just got an "extra" sticker for being brave.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, sometimes specialties that deal with the sickest patients (i.e. those about to die) have the best patient experiences. Patients that are so sick that the situation seems hopeless (advanced cancer, advanced AIDS) are grateful for just reasonable care, and kind staff. Seriously, they are some of the most gratifying patients to take care of, even if many of them are close to death.

A couple of my favorite patients that I've taken care of so far were terminally ill cancer patients. They didn't have unreasonable expectations (they knew how sick they were), but they were so grateful for any kindness, compassion, and if you just spent a few extra minutes with them. One lady, who had advanced pancreatic cancer, was super sick. She had constant nausea, and vomiting, and abdominal pain. I was on surgery, so I had to come in and see her every morning at 5 AM. I didn't think that she was ever happy to see me, but one morning, after I was done listening to her heart and lungs, she grabbed my hand and said, "Seeing you and your smile first thing every morning is one of the only things that brings me any joy in here. I am always so happy to see you....thank you for seeing me." :oops:

Wow... That gave me chills!

Lots of contact outside the OR though, so it would depend on the patient population/specialty/etc.

Haha it was a joke in response to pfizenm's suggestion of anesthesiology or rads. I promise I'm aware of how much patient contact there is in surgery... and probably often unpleasant patients (since they're unhappy/scared/in pain) who vary widely in background.

Next time I will turn up my sarcasm voltage. :laugh: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
good responses, keep em cummin in!

Good thread. Each specialty you will find has its own miserable cohort; except ER where they are mostly loathesome. Kids are great patients but their parents will make you want to choke them. Orthopedics clinics have a steady stream of d'bag patients with baseless complaints and nothing wrong with them that wont let you get 2 sentences into H&P before they are shoving disability papers in your face to sign so they can stay out of work for 2 months and get paid. Rheum and neurology patients are nice but their issues can be very chronic and frustrating to manage and offer sig benefit. Derm patients are all over the board- some nice, some very needy and demanding. In surgery, 95% of gunshot/ stab victims you spend 15 min talking to it becomes very clear they deserved it and see why someone wanted to shoot/ stab them. Obesity surgery patients are the most psychotic miserable patients period. Plastics patients very high maintenance. Colorectal has corhort that can't crap/ crap too much/ can't stop crapping that keep coming back and back and torture you.
Females- reproductive age are your complaintive, letiginous cohort. Autopsy- yeah but you have idiot oblivious families that demand autopsies to find something to blame the hosiptal why 80 y/o Pop Pop dies after circling the drain in ICU for 4 months with metastic cancer. Two-three overall pleasant patient populations- one of them is pretty much gone:

1) WW2 vets: personable, rugged, non-complaining, trust doctors, cooperative. Baby boomers moving up to elderly age are whiny demanding b$%^&'s

2) heme/onc: cancer patients overall i like. They are usu inquisitive and engaged, brave, and respectful and grateful for their care.

3) ENT patients overall are OK to work with

Got another one. Anesthesiology, specifically on the labor and delivery unit. :laugh:

Two-three overall pleasant patient populations- one of them is pretty much gone:

1) WW2 vets: personable, rugged, non-complaining, trust doctors, cooperative. Baby boomers moving up to elderly age are whiny demanding b$%^&'s

2) heme/onc: cancer patients overall i like. They are usu inquisitive and engaged, brave, and respectful and grateful for their care.

3) ENT patients overall are OK to work with

Hence the saying 'Patients with malignancies are never malignant'

Rheumatology!

Rheumatology, from a scientific perspective, is probably one of the most fascinating fields in medicine. That said, it's probably one of the last fields I would nominate for this list.

Rheum patients tend to have chronic, debilitating, disfiguring, autoimmune diseases. In many cases there are few or no effective treatments (there's only so much that steroids, immunosuppressants, and biologics can do), and long-term use of the available medications almost inevitably leads to serious side effects. It also attracts a whole slew of fibromyalgia patients and the like, who as a group, tend to be pretty unpleasant and frustrating. Psychological comorbidities are (understandably) pretty prevalent. Yes, the little old ladies whose osteoarthritis clears up after a joint injection tend to be very grateful and pleasant, but I'm not sure they make up for the rest of the rheumatology patient cohort.

In my experience, reproductive endocrinology has the most pleasant patient base. The women who come in are generally highly motivated and extremely compliant with any treatment regimen you recommend. If you're successful, they're perpetually grateful for your help.

Rheumatology, from a scientific perspective, is probably one of the most fascinating fields in medicine. That said, it's probably one of the last fields I would nominate for this list.

Rheum patients tend to have chronic, debilitating, disfiguring, autoimmune diseases. In many cases there are few or no effective treatments (there's only so much that steroids, immunosuppressants, and biologics can do), and long-term use of the available medications almost inevitably leads to serious side effects. It also attracts a whole slew of fibromyalgia patients and the like, who as a group, tend to be pretty unpleasant and frustrating. Psychological comorbidities are (understandably) pretty prevalent. Yes, the little old ladies whose osteoarthritis clears up after a joint injection tend to be very grateful and pleasant, but I'm not sure they make up for the rest of the rheumatology patient cohort.

In my experience, reproductive endocrinology has the most pleasant patient base. The women who come in are generally highly motivated and extremely compliant with any treatment regimen you recommend. If you're successful, they're perpetually grateful for your help
I was thinking this but I didn't want to sound like a broken record because I think I've said REI before regarding questions like this. It's pretty much my dream specialty so I probably bring it up too much as it is. :)

In my experience, reproductive endocrinology has the most pleasant patient base. The women who come in are generally highly motivated and extremely compliant with any treatment regimen you recommend. If you're successful, they're perpetually grateful for your help.

What about pedi rheum? I am really interested in that field, as I think the rheumatic disorders that most affect kids will be more varied and much less psychological in origin. I wouldn't expect to see much fibromyalgia or years of bitterness for no doctor treating their decade-old pains. Maybe I'm totally mistaken though! Do you have any insight about pediatric variations on this?

What about pedi rheum? I am really interested in that field, as I think the rheumatic disorders that most affect kids will be more varied and much less psychological in origin. I wouldn't expect to see much fibromyalgia or years of bitterness for no doctor treating their decade-old pains. Maybe I'm totally mistaken though! Do you have any insight about pediatric variations on this?

In general, children are easier to deal with than adults. However, chronic pain is challenging in any age group. Children and adolescents with juvenile arthritis or lupus are difficult patients with social and medical needs that are not always easy to manage. However, despite the title of this thread, I would not consider that as a serious impediment to caring for them. Providing great care to chronically ill children is rewarding and you'll have many very loyal patients, even if they are not always "pleasant" when in pain.

really??? its aubrey graham u idiots, used to act in show called degrassi, not sure what he's been doing since but he looks good in that avi

You're being sarcastic right?

....Drake.

What? No Labor and Delivery love?

That was the happiest ward I have ever worked! :)

What? No Labor and Delivery love?

That was the happiest ward I have ever worked! :)

Childbirth is one of the most painful things a person can experience. I've never heard of a woman in labor being a notably pleasant patient. Mom/Baby is a great floor to work because the women are past the pains of labor, but OB/GYNs don't do much there.

In general, children are easier to deal with than adults. However, chronic pain is challenging in any age group. Children and adolescents with juvenile arthritis or lupus are difficult patients with social and medical needs that are not always easy to manage. However, despite the title of this thread, I would not consider that as a serious impediment to caring for them. Providing great care to chronically ill children is rewarding and you'll have many very loyal patients, even if they are not always "pleasant" when in pain.

:thumbup: Sounds worth it to me! Thanks for your insight!