Army Specialty pay while deployed for RC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCguy

Earnest Internist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to deploy in a couple weeks; heard from 1st rotator that they got a check for some “back” specialty pay and now getting an extra 3,500 per month on top of regualr O4 pay

my understanding was that those extra dollars only applied to MC officers on orders > 1 year

anyone have insight about this?

Members don't see this ad.

You will qualify for specialty pay and board certification pay for orders more than 30 days.
Edit: IP for internal medicine is 43000. BCP is 6000. You will get save pay each month of 49000/12 or 4083.33 in addition to your base pay. You have to be credentialed in your specialty and board Certified.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Army Reserve MC officers are now eligible for pro rated specialty and board cert pay for BA, not just deployments.

Not true about having to be on orders >1 year; I received specialty pay while deployed as a 90 day BOGger in 18/19.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Instructions are below.
My personal timeline was signing a contract in January, correcting a mistake in late Feb, and BCP and IP starting with my March BAs.
It really wasn't all that difficult, given how difficult AMEDD can make stuff.
Also, you get paid for your IP&BSP on a separate LES, approximately 2 weeks after your BA pay hits your bank account. After you get paid for your BA, the 'system' validates your eligibility and authorizes a second payment.

This is a copy/paste from APMC Dec Newsletter:

Incentive Pay (IP) / Board Certified Pay (BCP):

IP and BCP program is now online thru the Reserve Incentives Management

Sub-System (RIMS). IP and BCP is professional specialty pay for AMEDD officers similar to pays such as airborne pay, flight pay, drill sergeant pay, etc. It is linked to the medical specialty and not to the Critical Wartime Shortage List (CWSL) and thus almost every AMEDD clinical specialty may be eligible. The budget shortfall of the other incentive programs (bonus, loan repayment, and stipend) does not impact IP/BCP.

***very important*** In order to begin receiving this special pay, the officers are required to have an approved active contract in RIMS. The initial contract cannot be for less than one year and once approved, it remains active until the officer permanently loses eligibility. Eligibility is continuously validated by the system and there is no annual requirement to reenter a contract. IP and BCP disbursements are in effect 1 January 2020 forward. No retroactive pay is authorized. The RCMS Request Incentive self-service URL is:

https://selfservice.rcms.usar.army.mil/Selfservice/RequestIncentive

I have heard that website has been offline intermittently the last couple of months.
Who really knows why, but the stated reason is always COVID.

Last edited:
Army Reserve MC officers are now eligible for pro rated specialty and board cert pay for BA, not just deployments.

Not true about having to be on orders >1 year; I received specialty pay while deployed as a 90 day BOGger in 18/19.

This is correct. You would need to upload your documentation into the self service website. Good luck with that though since it's been down since June unless you're on a .mil network. It also takes up to 6 weeks to process (and they will not pay back pay), so if I were this person I would go to the closest recruiting office and ask to log into the system and then submit my documentation so it would kick in hopefully sometime after they are boots on ground and clear pre-deployment stateside.

anyone know if this applies to ARNG as well?

anyone know if this applies to ARNG as well?

Per last guidance I received from APMC at BOLC phase II ARNG is eligible for this as well. Feel free to reach out to HRC and ask.

Let's say you take this incentive pay while in Army Reserves. How does this affect you if you decide to go IRR or request UQR?

Per the relevant memorandum:

Once validated, the contract remains active and is automatically renewed until it is terminated because: the specialty is no longer listed in the ASD-HA HPS&I Pay Play, the HPO can lo longer hold and perform the duties of the eligible specialty, or the appropriate Board Certification is expired.

Seems like you'd keep getting signed up year after year with no way to exit.