Spencer Technique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc09

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm taking the complex PE next week and I can't remember how to do the spencer technique. I remember the order:
Extension
Flexion
circumduction with compression
circumduction with traction
abduction
rotation
pump

but i can't remember if you do muscle energy at each step, etc. If somebody could refresh my memory, I'd greatly appreciate it!!! I haven't done OMM for two years now(took a year off!) and I'm struggling!
Thanks, kc

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I'm taking the complex PE next week and I can't remember how to do the spencer technique. I remember the order:
Extension
Flexion
circumduction with compression
circumduction with traction
abduction
rotation
pump

but i can't remember if you do muscle energy at each step, etc. If somebody could refresh my memory, I'd greatly appreciate it!!! I haven't done OMM for two years now(took a year off!) and I'm struggling!
Thanks, kc

We were taught, that if full rom wasn't met during each technique, ME could/should be used. My school uses the "Kimberly Manual". It states, "In each stage of the spencer technique, the shoulder is taken in a certain direction to the barrier. If there is a muscular restrictive arrier, a muscle energy activation may be indicated. HOPe this helps
GOod luck!!!

Thanks for your response! So are you just taking the shoulder into extension, holding it there for a few seconds and then continuing through the other ROM's? I'm so bummed, I can't find my Kimberly manual anywhere...ahhhhh! This test is stressing me out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response! So are you just taking the shoulder into extension, holding it there for a few seconds and then continuing through the other ROM's? I'm so bummed, I can't find my Kimberly manual anywhere...ahhhhh! This test is stressing me out!

After each part of Spencer EFCAARP, if there is restriction you should use muscle energy about 3 x for where ever the restriction is and then move on to the next part of spencer. Restore motion and move on.

you can do ME in steps 1, 2, 5a and 6
so flex, ext, abd, and internal rotation.

don't do it, takes too long.. Same reason you don't do counterstrain, sucks if you are just starting a counterstrain and then they announce you have 2 minutes remaining. Makes you rather rushed in the end. Better be able to talk and work at the same time..

Stick to quick things like muscle energy, soft tissue, and your various releases.