Best technique to build 6+ hours study habit in 1 month time left? Thank you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was prepping for MCAT it took me couple weeks to get into proper study habit, sitting 5-6+ hours every day etc. However, that was for MCAT and I had some buffer time. Starting MS1 on Aug.1st and I'm afraid if I just take my time and rest/travel till then, I won't have any buffer time to adjust as everyone here on forum says don't fall behind. I heard first semester is like they throw you under the bus. Was thinking to start some studying in this roughly 1 month time left to gradually come to Aug.1st in prime shape - as they do in bodybuilding LOL. Was thinking to study something random, but maybe I should go for USMLE Step 1 while I'm at it? Any advice/suggestions welcome

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt do anything drastic. One way or another your gunna get pummeled the first weeks of med school. Best thing you can do is spend a good amount of time reading books and what not.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
When I was prepping for MCAT it took me couple weeks to get into proper study habit, sitting 5-6+ hours every day etc. However, that was for MCAT and I had some buffer time. Starting MS1 on Aug.1st and I'm afraid if I just take my time and rest/travel till then, I won't have any buffer time to adjust as everyone here on forum says don't fall behind. I heard first semester is like they throw you under the bus. Was thinking to start some studying in this roughly 1 month time left to gradually come to Aug.1st in prime shape - as they do in bodybuilding LOL. Was thinking to study something random, but maybe I should go for USMLE Step 1 while I'm at it? Any advice/suggestions welcome
Please don't do this. Don't do any of this. No amount of skimming through books haphazardly for X number of hours a day can help you prepare for studying in med school. Studying Step 1 material with no foundation would be like picking up a book to study for certification in architectual engineering- You have no foundation, so it'll just be a bunch of words on pages that flow in and out of your brain like water through a pasta strainer. Just enjoy your summer as much as possible and thank me later.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no technique to it. There is no shortcut and no hack.

There is nothing to it, but to do it.

When you actually get to school and it hits you how much you are expected to know, and at what pace, you will find your pace then.

Spend the time between now and then reaching out to all the people you care about and telling them that you love them, but that you aren't going to have a lot of time to spend with them for the next few years, and not to expect too much from you socially. Figure out a plan for how you can feed yourself nutritious food on a tight budget with minimal time to cook. (Protip: crockpot) Play some video games or watch some movies or read books for pleasure. Exercise. Go to the gym, go walking around your neighborhood, swim, bike, anything. You are going to spend a couple years mostly planted on your rear. Be in the best shape you can to start.

If you want to read ahead, there is no such thing as too much anatomy. But don't worry about figuring out what your future study habits. Wait until you get there for that.

Reactions: 5 users
Virtually everyone going into medical school has this apprehension about the volume, detail,etc. of studying --- and, being the type A little s*(ts that we are, want to get ahead of the game and be "ready" -- In all honesty, nothing can get you ready for the sheer volume and detail of material. Your undergrad prep may be somewhat helpful in that you'll have seen the material before. The ONLY thing I would consider would be a speed reading course but I wouldn't kill myself doing that either ---

Right now, you need to relax and go enjoy life. It'll be the last time you get to do that for the next 7 years at least --- and maybe even into early practice so it could last as long as 11 years --- so for now, go grab some frosty adult 2 carbon beverages and a beach lounge chair and watch the eye candy walk by, eat copious amounts of your favorite food with good friends, laugh a little, love a lot, do the sweaty horizontal mambo with your sweetie -- cause come August, you can pretty much kiss all that goodbye.....

Reactions: 6 users
Virtually everyone going into medical school has this apprehension about the volume, detail,etc. of studying --- and, being the type A little s*(ts that we are, want to get ahead of the game and be "ready" -- In all honesty, nothing can get you ready for the sheer volume and detail of material. Your undergrad prep may be somewhat helpful in that you'll have seen the material before. The ONLY thing I would consider would be a speed reading course but I wouldn't kill myself doing that either ---

Right now, you need to relax and go enjoy life. It'll be the last time you get to do that for the next 7 years at least --- and maybe even into early practice so it could last as long as 11 years --- so for now, go grab some frosty adult 2 carbon beverages and a beach lounge chair and watch the eye candy walk by, eat copious amounts of your favorite food with good friends, laugh a little, love a lot, do the sweaty horizontal mambo with your sweetie -- cause come August, you can pretty much kiss all that goodbye.....

You have the best responses. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
life-goes-on-lebowski.gif

Thanks guys! Now I need to live my life 1 more month

Reactions: 1 user