Hi all,
After something a friend recently said, I'm a little worried about what could be a lack of clinical volunteering in my application. I'm hoping to apply for matriculation in fall 2018.
So far I have:
- 140 hours hospital volunteering, done over one summer- a little boring, though I did make a strong connection with a particular patient, which was a great experience
- 80 hours working with children with developmental disabilities at a 2 week camp
- couple times being a respite care provider for families with children with developmental disabilities (basically a babysitter for date nights- I feel like this sounds like a great experience but it honestly felt like typical babysitting to me. Organization was cool though! They paid me, and it was free for the families- so accessible childcare for them.)
I graduated in 2016 and am now doing a 2 year postbac at the NIH, where I work closely with a physician and see study patients, I'd say:
- 2 hours a week, for 2 years? This is not volunteering though, this is part of my job.
My other nonclinical activities include:
- 4 year membership and eventual leadership of a mentoring organization at my school, for elementary school kids.
- 4 years ESL tutoring, 1 hr per week
- now teaching health education at a homeless shelter bi-weekly (will be for 2 years)
I'm a little concerned about my lack of clinical volunteering because those were experiences early on in college, and two of those weren't even really in a clinical hospital setting. Even though these experiences were short and not long-term, I have had great experiences from them and definitely a lot to talk about in interviews and stuff, so I'd like to think that its not only about the number of hours!
I hope that my current job, with extensive interaction with patients, physicians, and fellows, will maybe compensate a little, but I'm not sure.
I also may or may not go the MD/PhD route (depends on MCAT), so I've been pretty research focused these past few years, and have also heard that perhaps clinical volunteering does not matter quite as much for MD/PhD?
Should I try to incorporate more clinical volunteering? I'm very passionate about my nonclinical activities, especially health education, and I currently have an opportunity to teach STEM in an afterschool program which I would love to do. If I really do need more clinical experience, I could volunteer at a hospital instead. I just really hate to do things for the sake of box-checking, and am really interested in the STEM program.