Spouse separation during Dental Navy HPSP?

Started by yegtdsa24
Tags Tags
hpsp navy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yegtdsa24

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm a pre-dental applicant interested in the Navy dental HPSP program. I'm currently engaged and plan to wed my fiancé during dental school. Under what circumstances (and durations) would I be separated from my spouse during the 4 year payback period?
 
Hello, I'm a pre-dental applicant interested in the Navy dental HPSP program. I'm currently engaged and plan to wed my fiancé during dental school. Under what circumstances (and durations) would I be separated from my spouse during the 4 year payback period?
If you are not ready and willing to deploy for several months or more in support of whatever foreign entanglements the US has its hands in, don't take the HPSP. You will be property of the military and you will go wherever they say you're going.

Big Hoss
 
Hello, I'm a pre-dental applicant interested in the Navy dental HPSP program. I'm currently engaged and plan to wed my fiancé during dental school. Under what circumstances (and durations) would I be separated from my spouse during the 4 year payback period?

Lol BigHoss you could have elaborated a little more

To answer your question, if your spouse is willing to move with you, the military will pay the whole family to move to said duty location

Now you dont have a choice when you are assigned on an operational platform (DDG, LHD, LPD, CVN) then you leave when the ship leaves and you come back home when your ship comes home

If you are on an blue side clinic duty, then military is just another 7-4 pm job
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good answers above. Here’s a little more specific detail from my time. You’ll be separated 4-5 weeks for ODS right after school or a summer during dental school. They’ll be a training or 2 you have to go to most likely before your operational tour if you do one. So a couple weeks there. I was on a ship (LHD) and I was gone a total of 14 months out of the 24 month orders. A full work up phase and 2/3rds of a 7 month deployment. Basically you go out for a couple weeks to a month come back for a month. We did that for almost a year. The longest I was gone at once was 4 months. After that I did blue side clinic duty and like they said above, it was a 7-4 gig. Except with the threat of having to hot fill a ship billet because someone couldn’t get the job done. Orders overseas your wife would go with you unless it’s an “unaccompanied ” tour but you generally volunteer for those.