Spreadsheet for Med Schools Accepting OLD MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangodroplet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

So after the IU scare about not taking the old MCAT for the 2015 application cycle, a goup of us decided to make a spreadsheet to mark when schools would stop accepting the old MCAT. Whatever is filled out has been confirmed by schools by calling them. Help us fill out this sheet by giving solid answers if you get them! We figured this spreadsheet would be useful to help people decide whether or not to take the old MCAT this summer or wait for the new MCAT. For future classes, when you call/ask could you please ask them if they're accepting the old MCAT for up to 2017 cycle, since people can take the old MCAT in 2014?

Here's the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h_uzDPUSaQhNJ8bkv2iF66OgsGWpVNKErKvMiD9zlJc/edit?usp=sharing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
These are all phone calls. You're welcome to call yourself and verify. It does suck that it is school by school now, seeing how AMCAS had originally said they were going to be valid until 2018 or 2017. It's a shame.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are all phone calls. You're welcome to call yourself and verify. It does suck that it is school by school now, seeing how AMCAS had originally said they were going to be valid until 2018 or 2017. It's a shame.

I'm not able to edit the spreadsheet, but emailed the U of MN admissions staff and here's the reply I got:

"Thank you for contacting the University of Minnesota Medical School. We will continue to accept the MCAT for three years after the test was sat.
That means we will be accepting both the new MCAT scores and old MCAT scores simultaneously.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best,

Office of Admissions
U of MN Medical School"

Can you add this to your spreadsheet, please.

This is an awesome idea! Thank you so much for making this, as I am curious what schools will be taking the old MCAT because I may be applying next year. I'll call my state schools in FL and see if I have anything to contribute. :)

Indiana will reverse its MCAT policy soon
You think so? I'm IS and from what I've heard, they've been a strong proponent of the change. (Granted, it's only rumors.) My school has advised students applying this cycle to take PSYCH and SOC to stay up-to-date with these new changes as they're really pushing for students to know this information.

I would actually be really interested in this, because I'm applying for 2016 cycle and I've take all the courses needed for the current MCAT, so I want to know If it still will be accepted. I'll call all the NY, NJ, Pennsylvania, and possibly Mass. med schools tomorrow to help you guys fill in the information. Thanks so much for this currently! Keep up the great work.

You think so? I'm IS and from what I've heard, they've been a strong proponent of the change. (Granted, it's only rumors.) My school has advised students applying this cycle to take PSYCH and SOC to stay up-to-date with these new changes as they're really pushing for students to know this information.

Well i don't mean to offend a particular school by saying this but considering AAMC sympathizes with applicants or examinees by adding new dates in October and November (something not seen previously) and making Jan 2015 the last month for the old MCAT, expecting the applicants to have taken the new MCAT Mar 2015 and later is a very unwise move on the school's part.

Having requirements is one thing. Forcing students who have done well in old MCAT to retake a new version is just a futile goal and the school will see the folly in their ways.

And how a knowledge base in sociology and psychology makes a better physician is some flawed utopian goal which i'm not a fan of, but it's a separate issue

EDIT: i'm a little upset when HMS "prefers" the newer version for 2015 cycle. The time the new version is administered isn't enough. I can understand weird state schools doing this, but private schools, much less a Top 20, following it this early is unsettling

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure if IU is actually adamant about it. It's just what I've heard.
Well i don't mean to offend a particular school by saying this but considering AAMC sympathizes with applicants or examinees by adding new dates in October and November (something not seen previously) and making Jan 2015 the last month for the old MCAT, expecting the applicants to have taken the new MCAT Mar 2015 and later is a very unwise move on the school's part.

Having requirements is one thing. Forcing students who have done well in old MCAT to retake a new version is just a futile goal and the school will see the folly in their ways.

And how a knowledge base in sociology and psychology makes a better physician is some flawed utopian goal which i'm not a fan of, but it's a separate issue

EDIT: i'm a little upset when HMS "prefers" the newer version for 2015 cycle. The time the new version is administered isn't enough. I can understand weird state schools doing this, but private schools, much less a Top 20, following it this early is unsettling

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait so if you are applying next year..you are 2015 cycle right??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, just clarifying above - 2015 cycle means MD Class of 2020, entering med school in Fall 2016?

I can't edit the spreadsheet, but I called a number of schools:
UMDNJ - NJ: Yes to all
UMDNJ -RWJ: Yes to first, (likely) NO too last 2
Rowan U - CMS: Yes to first two
Icahn @ Mt. Sinai: Three years, so the last one would have to be taken in Jan 2015
NYU: Yes | NO to last two
Einstein: Yes to all
Albany: Yes to all
Hofstra: Yes to all

I'm not able to edit the spreadsheet, but emailed the U of MN admissions staff and here's the reply I got:

"Thank you for contacting the University of Minnesota Medical School. We will continue to accept the MCAT for three years after the test was sat.
That means we will be accepting both the new MCAT scores and old MCAT scores simultaneously.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best,

Office of Admissions
U of MN Medical School"

Can you add this to your spreadsheet, please.
Thanks, has been added.
I can't edit the spreadsheet, but I called a number of schools:
UMDNJ - NJ: Yes to all
UMDNJ -RWJ: Yes to first, (likely) NO too last 2
Rowan U - CMS: Yes to first two
Icahn @ Mt. Sinai: Three years, so the last one would have to be taken in Jan 2015
NYU: Yes | NO to last two
Einstein: Yes to all
Albany: Yes to all
Hofstra: Yes to all

Thanks! Will edit.

Good leadership initiative by your team. :thumbup:

You might consider another column where the source of information can be cited, eg web address, phone call to who, email from who, premedadvisor at the same school, etc.

Done. :)

Side rant. At the very least, given the significant impact of this change on applicants, it would have been good for AAMC to either issue rules to schools to maintain their current MCAT expirations or something, or have an official list like this for each school on the AAMC website.

At least that way AAMCs guide to which MCAT you should take would have been "evidence based" which we all know is the big buzz word in medicine these days.:rolleyes:

This is total bull****..we work as hard as everyone else in the past only to have our scores expire early

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Side rant. At the very least, given the significant impact of this change on applicants, it would have been good for AAMC to either issue rules to schools to maintain their current MCAT expirations or something, or have an official list like this for each school on the AAMC website.

At least that way AAMCs guide to which MCAT you should take would have been "evidence based" which we all know is the big buzz word in medicine these days.:rolleyes:

I'm applying this cycle, but I had no idea until just now reading this thread that some schools might not accept the "old" MCAT. That should make anyone applying this year nervous too. If we don't get an acceptance, how do we know our 2013 or 2014 MCAT will still be good?
My freshman year was when the AAMC first started sending out press releases on the 2015 MCAT, and even then they didn't have any detailed info.

That's really unfortunate if schools won't accept the MCAT for the standard 3 years after taking it.

Doesn't this only apply to students that have already finished their prerequisites and will be taking a gap year maybe 2 and will be taking the MCAT right before the new MCAT comes out? Because isn't the last time to take the old MCAT Jan of 2015? And also students reapplying? Right.

Other than that sounds like a good idea.

Nope, this is for any person applying in the respective cycle, reapplicant or otherwise. At least that's what I've been told from the schools that I called.

University of Mississippi Medical Center will take the current MCAT until 2016, but for matriculation for 2017 will only be taking the 2015 MCAT.

Nope, this is for any person applying in the respective cycle, reapplicant or otherwise. At least that's what I've been told from the schools that I called.

They would still have to take the MCAT before January 2015. Like I stated in my previous post, this is basically for students who are reapplying and students who are taking long periods of gap years. I don't see how this would be relevant for students who have never taken the old MCAT applying for let's say 2017.

No offense, I'm just trying to get this straight in my head. :)

Is this current cycle not "2015"? I thought cycles were defined by entering class year as it is on AMCAS. I did see the note on the spreadsheet that 2015 cycle = entering in 2016, but it was a little confusing.

Isn't the MCAT still valid for. 3 years

They would still have to take the MCAT before January 2015. Like I stated in my previous post, this is basically for students who are reapplying and students who are taking long periods of gap years. I don't see how this would be relevant for students who have never taken the old MCAT applying for let's say 2017.
The schools want the new MCAT regardless of whether you're a reapplicant, taking a gap year, or a first time applicant applying in the respective 2016/2017 cycle, considering they're not going to say no to the current MCAT for the 2015 cycle. In some situations, if you're applying in 2016/2017, you might take the current MCAT in Jan 2015, and plan on a gap year or two to do something you want to do. If that's the case, the schools want the new MCAT.

Interesting. So ANYONE who is not applying this cycle and wants to take the old mcat will essentially not be able to apply to certain schools?

Interesting. So ANYONE who is not applying this cycle and wants to take the old mcat will essentially not be able to apply to certain schools?

I makes me so furious that this might actually be a reality...

So the message that they are sending is that if you want to be well prepared for the MCAT (i.e. have enough practice exams and good review content] you will be penalized....

That the most BS thing i have ever heard... If anything people that are willing to give up an entire summer and take the MCAT early while do all the other **** they have to do that summer, are showing real god damn commitment in doing so.. and its that kind of commitment and understanding of how standardized test work that will get you good step 1 scores..

It's frustrating that top 20/30 schools would do something like this...

Reactions: 1 users
I've been emailing a bunch of schools that I'm interested in to get written confirmation of their MCAT policies, and I added a list of the schools I've heard back from in the comments. Every school so far has said they're following their old MCAT policy (expires after x years) which can be found on MSAR, regardless of the format of the MCAT (old or new). This is at least for 2017 matriculation. I encourage everyone to email the specific schools they're interested in if they aren't already listed, and update with results!

Ok, updated with comments and messages I've been getting. I'm sorry this is happening to you guys, but best of luck!

Texas A&M says on their website they will be taking the old MCAT through 2017.

Can we get some clarification on what the 2015 cycle is? Does 2015 cycle = current cycle? Or next year's cycle?

Can we get some clarification on what the 2015 cycle is? Does 2015 cycle = current cycle? Or next year's cycle?
considering the current amcas website says amcas 2015, i am guessing we are currently in the beginnings of the 2015 cycle.

so cycle year + 1 = year of matriculation (hopefully ;))

What a great idea, thank you for starting this thread and the spreadsheet!!! I'm taking the MCAT this October but am not starting my post-bach program (informal) until next January, thus applying in the 2017 cycle. This is great and helpful information for myself too! I'll email a few schools today to find out what their policy will be, including UMN-T.C., UMN-Duluth, and Iowa-Carver!

This thread is a great idea!

I'll be taking my exam in September but might push it back and I worry that many schools won't accept my MCAT.

I think it's not fair that some schools aren't accepting it within three years since everyone else has accepted it for 3 years.

Hey guys! I wrote to University of MN-Twin Cities, University of MN-Duluth, and Iowa-Carver over the weekend to find out what their policy would be on the old MCAT for acceptance. MN-Twin Cities and Iowa-Carver both responded to say that they would be accepting the old MCAT for up to three years after the test is taken. If someone with access to the spreadsheet would like to add both schools, that would be great!

EDIT: I got an email back from University of Minnesota-Duluth School of Medicine as well and they also said they would be accepting the old MCAT up until the 2017 cycle for those applying in 2018.

Last edited:
Just got clarification via email from Robert Wood Johnson that they in fact will be accepting the 2014 MCAT for next year's (2016) cycle... Phew!

The AAMC just put up the official guide, thanks for the update!!

I am happy the AAMC just took of a lot of research and work of our shoulders.

Hate to break it to you guys but your list is very different from the AAMC's: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/398586/data/mcatexampolicy.pdf

I think it's unfortunate that my school will be requiring the 2015 test for 2017 and beyond. I think a lot of strong applicants may shy away from schools not giving the full 3 years of consideration.

I'm not sure if you misread the chart, but the first column is for the 2017 entering class, not 2016. The chart made by SDN members has its first column as the 2016 entering class, which AAMC didn't even include. I made that mistake at first!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the policy is usually 3 years from matriculation, so the only school not honoring this according to the list is LSU (which may be your school but I'm not sure!) And even for the 2018 entering class, which would make the old test 3 years old from application, the majority are still accepting the old format. So it seems like almost every school is still giving the full 3 (or whatever it is for each school) years of consideration.

I'm not sure if you misread the chart, but the first column is for the 2017 entering class, not 2016. The chart made by SDN members has its first column as the 2016 entering class, which AAMC didn't even include. I made that mistake at first!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the policy is usually 3 years from matriculation, so the only school not honoring this according to the list is LSU (which may be your school but I'm not sure!) And even for the 2018 entering class, which would make the old test 3 years old from application, the majority are still accepting the old format. So it seems like almost every school is still giving the full 3 (or whatever it is for each school) years of consideration.

You're right. I erroneously took 2016 to mean 2015-2016 application cycle. No, I go to a top 20.

Are you sure about that for the AAMC chart? I was confused about the dates too, but if you go on the AMCAS site on the top right corner, it says the 2015 AMCAS application (the current one) is for people who will matriculate/start med school in 2015. So on the AAMC chart here, https://www.aamc.org/students/download/398586/data/mcatexampolicy.pdf, I'm assuming that the first column (says "2016 AMCAS application cycle") is for students applying in June 2015 (which is what I plan to do) and hopefully starting med school the following year in 2016. Please correct me if I'm mistaken! I'm taking the MCAT in January 2015 and this whole concept is such a hassle at this point.