Spring semester off to study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhereMyLiberalsAt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked around SDN and found post related but they were all pre-2015....

I was planning on taking the spring semester off. I was planning on studying for the MCAT, and doing research for credit (I would obviously continue the normal stuff like shadow, and volunteer.) I haven't taken biochem yet so I've read on multiple postings that the Kaplan biochem review book is well written and teaches the concepts well (if you've done well in previous biology based courses.) But when talking to my advisor today she said I should at least take biochem in the spring and prepare for the MCAT. She said medical schools are looking for people to multitask.... Is this true? I kinda feel like this BS. I know TONS of people that take the whole summer to study for the MCAT. Doing nothing but MCAT prep..... Is this something that advisors say to be hardcore? I feel like they push only for 100% perfection. Some thoughts on this issue would be great! Also I want to take the MCAT April 22 to be at the start of the cycle...

Members don't see this ad.

Do what will give you the best chance to get the highest score possible. Your advisor probably doesn't even know how many sections are on the MCAT.

Think about it this way:

If you score low, schools will not care that you had to "multi-task".

I strongly agree with you @theonlytycrane I do believe no classes will help me do better on the MCAT, but I'm not sure by how much. Is there someone that doesn't share my opinion that can shed a personal experience supporting the other argument?

I'll let others chime in, but you have to learn biochem for the MCAT either way. Whether you choose to learn it through a class or on your own is your call.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with your advisor's recommendation but the reasoning is strange. You should take the Biochem course because it will prepare you for 2/4 sections of the MCAT not to demonstrate "multi-tasking". Since you want to take the exam April 22, I assume your semester will not end prior to this date, but the important information regarding amino acids, proteins, and molecular techniques most likely will be covered early on.

I suppose the appropriate course of action in regards to your problem depends on how well you have self-studied in the past. If this is your first time self studying anything with the scope of a Biochem course, I would be a little hesitant to take the risk. On the other hand, if you've done well in the past or feel particularly confident in regards to your ability to self study it might be worth it.

Personally, I thought the Kaplan book and TBR combined most likely have everything you need for Biochem. Still, when its your first time around you'll most likely spend a lot of time learning anyway. Ultimately consider what you must in order to make your decision. But if it were me, I would take the biochem course concurrently. Taking Biochem was very important for my score. This may or may not be the case for you, but I'm leaning with "may" based on the AAMC content outline.

I think there is a breakdown in the message from your advisor. It is sound advice. It's not about multitasking looking good; it's about looking inferior if you have to take a quarter or semester off from school for what is supposed to be a test of basic material. You cannot compare it to summer studying, because most students have a light (or no) class load in the Summer. But to look at a transcript and see that someone took time off during the school year to study for the MCAT is a red flag they'll notice (because it is an anomaly). I agree with the onlytycrane that it doesn't matter what you do if your MCAT score is subpar, because that will destroy your app. But all things being equal (sGPA, MCAT, and clinical experience), the person taking a semester or quarter off to complete the MCAT will not look as good to adcoms as the person who stays the course.

And Poppin is spot on! Given that biochemistry is so heavily emphasized on the MCAT, of course you should take that class before you sit for the MCAT. Even if you were going to use a really good review book for biochemistry, it's not the same as taking the class. For other subjects, you might be okay. But why risk it on the most tested material on the MCAT?

I took my first MCAT in June of 2015. I did not take off and regret it. I scored a 497 because I didn't put in enough effort. I retook this summer in august. I took 2 months off and scored a 507. I'm pretty happy. I recommend a minimum of 2 months of intensive studying, but at the same time if you're not ready, don't take it. Take B/C in the spring and study for the MCAT. I think that is a recipe for success. Don't get a bad grade in B/C tho.